Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #1

Question Steering lock nut

06 Nomad just replaced steering bearings and fork oil. Putting all back together today, the instructions for steering head lock nut is not clear and even the shop manual says that the tightness varies “considerably.” My question, is grabbing the end of the forks with front tire removed and pulling and pushing forks slightly should I feel any movement after all is tightened down? If so, is the movement in the steering head or in the forks themselves? It is very small and I cannot see the movement but I feel a little. I did not rebuild the forks and see no leaks. I seem to remember that this was not a good test to check tightness but I am getting old and my forgetter is better than my rememberer at times. Fast reliable responses needed as I NEED TO RIDE!. Thx.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
Top Contributor

My thoughts are you should not feel any movement in the forks if the bearings are correctly adjusted and you see and feel no movement in the fork lowers on the fork tubes.

What you are looking for is free lock to lock movement of the handlebars without the forks banging against the stops on either side if you let go of the bars just past centre.

You are aiming for a nice easy transition from lock to lock with no play felt at the front axle when you are done.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:49 PM   #3

Lock to lock no prob, grab bottom of forks and move front to back there is a light bump...

Old 09-17-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Either there is play in the fork bushings or you need to tighten the bearings a little more.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:25 PM   #5

That’s my thought but not what i wanted to hear...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #6

Snug your bearings up some more....either didn't get them tight enough to start with or your bearing races seated some after the install....
You have a bearing preload you need to try to achieve....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 09-17-2019, 10:44 PM   #7

Took it apart and snugged them some more, put new front tire on and will hopefully take for a ride by the wknd. Thx all.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:24 AM   #8

I seem to recall there being several different torque "suggestions" in various workshop manuals for the assortment of Vulcans we ride. Classic manual gives a different opinion to the Nomad manual, and so on. I also recall using the torque setting that was the highest out of all of those manuals for the pre-load (being very careful not to turn the steering at all during that time) when I installed the All Balls bearings in both my Nomad and my Voyager, to seat the bearings, before backing them off (again to the highest suggested setting) and locking it there.

What I don't recall is... what those settings were. And I kept no records.

Sorry.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 09-18-2019, 08:57 AM   #9

Well I went back out to look and check the front end this morning with new eyes. Front end back together, front tire on, and in the air. Front end turns fairly easily but does not flop to either side when bumped and there is a slight binding sound when turned. I rerouted some wiring when putting it all back together and greased both bearings twice before installing. My guess is I tightened too much the last time. Could the weight of the front tire make that happen? My plan is to take it apart and loosen it a tad then recheck everything so that binding goes away. Okay to leave front wheel on or does it need to come back off?

Old 09-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #10

OK....what you want is the handlebars when slightly off center, release the handlebars, and they don't flop to the stop.
I use a fishing scale, and measure from the stop, tie your scale to the very end of handlebars....it takes 1 to 2.5 pds (preferred) to pull the handlebars to center. I don't go over 3 pds max....
As your grease disappears and as the bearing gets fully seated, it'll get slightly looser.

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI