Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #46

Well the other brands Bagger/Tour bikes really haven't done much new either. Victory went out of business. And the Harleys and Indians are smaller yet in the Drivers triangle and $8000 or more expensive. The New Yahmaha is bigger but there again $8000 more. And the rest are not V twins curizers
The things everyone complains about are not much better on the other brand or they have other issues.

If Kawasaki addressed and fixed every complaint about the 1700. They would be a $24,000+ bike also.

Dollar for Dollar I believe The 1700 is best bang for the buck.
And again this in my opinion.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #47
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila View Post
There was absolutely nothing new for the cruiser line up at Daytona Bike Week this year.
I'd like to know if they have anything planned.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 03-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #48
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber63 View Post
Well the other brands Bagger/Tour bikes really haven't done much new either. Victory went out of business. And the Harleys and Indians are smaller yet in the Drivers triangle and $8000 or more expensive. The New Yahmaha is bigger but there again $8000 more. And the rest are not V twins curizers
The things everyone complains about are not much better on the other brand or they have other issues.

If Kawasaki addressed and fixed every complaint about the 1700. They would be a $24,000+ bike also.

Dollar for Dollar I believe The 1700 is best bang for the buck.
And again this in my opinion.
It's the best bang for the buck, but they could make improvements that wouldn't affect price that much. As far as the yamaha goes, it's expensive and weighs a lot more than one needs. 960lbs is a lot for a bike. As far as vtwin cruisers go, when it comes to touring bikes, I lump them all in with cost/features/performance being above style or market segment.

The versys 1000LT would be a fine choice if only it was shaft drive. I hate chain drive. Going to the RT was a revelation. Lost 250lbs of bike and gained better performance in every way. I've always said, the germans should engineer it, Italians design it, japanese build it and americans sell it. Then we'd get the perfect bike. :)
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 03-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #49
Top Contributor

If Kawasaki had stretched the 1700's a little to make more room for the passenger and installed the Nomad side opening bags they would probably have had more sales right from the day the 1700 Voyager came on the market in 2009. It would have cost almost nothing to have got it right. If you can live with it the way it is it is a great bike for the money.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #50
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
The Nomad Side opening bag was an ICON that helped distinguished the Vulcan line. When the faithful decided they didn't like the New Voyager just on principle, the faithful started to jump ship and leave the forum. Some jump ship and stayed and proceeded to let their displeasure with Kawasaki show in every post they answered.

Then Kawasaki saw the error of their ways and revamped the Side Bagged Vaquero as an attempt to keep the 1700 line alive. But those that loved the 15/1600 Nomads/Classics and the V2K went elsewhere when they bought new bikes.

This of course is only my opinion.

For those that still frequent the Delphi forum it provides a meeting place for old friends, and there are still a bunch of us Kawasaki riders around to keep it alive. There will be a KVRF reunion June 19-23, 2019 in Monteagle, TN.
I was one of those that went to something else. I test rode the voyager, vision and an ultra before trying the RT. The voyager has more HD like ergos and the fit/finish/quality seems to be a little marginal, meaning for instance the trunk lid seems a little flimsy, etc. It aslo didn't have get up and go. It didn't seem any better than my Nomad or the Ultra I tried. The Vision was better, but the storage is a lot less than it looks and the brakes weren't so good. Wooden feel and higher effort. The dealer that had the vision also sold BMWs. I was interested in the LT, but it end of lifed and they had a leftover RT. I took it out and actually had to put gas in it to get back. They wondered where I went. They did toss the keys and said have fun...I bought it.

The thing about Kawasaki is that they not only ignored their base in designing the voyager, but they got rid of John Hoover, the father of the vulcan line. They made a conscious decision to go another way and didn't care what we thought.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #51
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVoyager View Post
I can’t see how top opening bags is somehow the downfall of forums.

I for one am overly joyed they did top mount bags on the voyager. I can’t stand side opening bags, that has to be the stupidest things I have ever seen.
Kawasaki lost a lot of repeat customers when they went to the top opening bags on the Nomad. Why do you think they brought them back for the Vaquero?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-10-2019, 08:02 PM   #52

Not to mention No Accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
I was one of those that went to something else. I test rode the voyager, vision and an ultra before trying the RT.
When I bought my 3rd Voyager - I did the Round -d - Round at the dealers and looked at other brands. Yamaha didn't have anything at that point, The Gold Wing was Toooooo quiet and I don't like that sitting position, I had ridden the H-D's - never liked the shake and I didn't want a tatoo. The Victory was too low for me. The Indian was NICE - But most of the Selling points they were pushing I already had on my Voyager with the exception of keyless start. I went back to the Voyager because I already owned all of the accessories. Daylong seat, heated grips, foot pegs. Anyway - the Voyager Fit Me - And with the Ivan flash it has all the power I need. Oh, I looked at the BMW's but when I walked in in my Blue Jeans and Tshirt on a Kawasaki - I was looking at the touring offering and the salesman came over and said "You should look at these bikes over here, you might be able to afford them". Needless to say - I've bought 2 new bikes from someone else and they have sold off the dealership since then.

The Voyager is not for everyone but it is for me and I hope they either Keep it or Upgrade it somewhat for as long as I need one. Because right now I don't know what I would buy if the Kawasaki Voyager was not available.
(note - While the bags and trunk my seem flimsy - they aren't. I've only ever heard of 1 or 2 breaking other than accidents.

Have a great evening.
Mike

Old 03-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #53
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
When I bought my 3rd Voyager - I did the Round -d - Round at the dealers and looked at other brands. Yamaha didn't have anything at that point, The Gold Wing was Toooooo quiet and I don't like that sitting position, I had ridden the H-D's - never liked the shake and I didn't want a tatoo. The Victory was too low for me. The Indian was NICE - But most of the Selling points they were pushing I already had on my Voyager with the exception of keyless start. I went back to the Voyager because I already owned all of the accessories. Daylong seat, heated grips, foot pegs. Anyway - the Voyager Fit Me - And with the Ivan flash it has all the power I need. Oh, I looked at the BMW's but when I walked in in my Blue Jeans and Tshirt on a Kawasaki - I was looking at the touring offering and the salesman came over and said "You should look at these bikes over here, you might be able to afford them". Needless to say - I've bought 2 new bikes from someone else and they have sold off the dealership since then.

The Voyager is not for everyone but it is for me and I hope they either Keep it or Upgrade it somewhat for as long as I need one. Because right now I don't know what I would buy if the Kawasaki Voyager was not available.
(note - While the bags and trunk my seem flimsy - they aren't. I've only ever heard of 1 or 2 breaking other than accidents.

Have a great evening.
Mike
It can be tough to find a decent salesman. For some reason, the nice one's don't last. To that end, I usually tell them what I want and how much I'll spend, if they want a sale. No 4 square, no appealing to a higher authority. The BMW dealer I went to sold victory, yamaha and triumph I think. Maybe Honda too. It was in Iowa. I had gone to the HD dealer and they would only let me take it on a 4 mile ride following the salesman, who was more interested in selling me a RG custom as opposed to the Ultra. I would have had to rent one to ride it more than that. My question to the salesman was, do you know how to sell to someone that doesn't believe? Kawasaki was next. They wanted me to take it for a predescribed ride, for which I went a bit further. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it. Flat power, heavy and the ergos were tighter than the Nomad. The HD handled better at low speeds too, deceptively so. Then I went to test the vision. Ergos were fine, well made with storage that sealed well, but the brakes had a wooden feel and were higher effort. Better power than the other two. The thing was that this dealer gave me the keys for both the BMW and Victory and said have fun. A smart dealer will realize that a bike will sell itself if it's any good. I've heard some BMW dealers have attitudes, some HD dealers certainly do. Would I buy a BMW again? Only if it was in the ballpark of what I would spend and it's one I would want, which is to say, probably not. Not a new one at least. I would cap my spending at 20K for the bike. I paid less than that for mine, OTD, but pricing has gone nuts. That said, if I was spending 28K on a bike, it would be a BMW, maybe the goldwing, maybe not, but right now I don't see myself getting another bike regardless.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 03-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #54
Advanced Member

Quote:
..................There will be a KVRF reunion June 19-23, 2019 in Monteagle, TN.

Just a couple hours from the house. May have to come that way for a day. Bet ya'll hit Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg while you're there.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:05 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Kawasaki lost a lot of repeat customers when they went to the top opening bags on the Nomad. Why do you think they brought them back for the Vaquero?
Again, not seeing how the hell the bags somehow lost customers.

Sure I wouldn’t have been happy if the Voyager had sideopening bags, but it wouldn’t have been a deal breaker necessarily.

I assumed they used them on the Vaquero to make the bike look a bit different than the voyager. I mean, the vaquero has no fog lights, the lowers are different, the rear fender is different, the gauges are different, the seat is different, the dash is painted, rear crash bars are different, turn signals are smaller, and on and on.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #56
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVoyager View Post
Again, not seeing how the hell the bags somehow lost customers.

Sure I wouldn’t have been happy if the Voyager had sideopening bags, but it wouldn’t have been a deal breaker necessarily.

I assumed they used them on the Vaquero to make the bike look a bit different than the voyager. I mean, the vaquero has no fog lights, the lowers are different, the rear fender is different, the gauges are different, the seat is different, the dash is painted, rear crash bars are different, turn signals are smaller, and on and on.
I think the complaint is probably aesthetics, not functionality. That said, My panniers are side opening, but they are quick detachable and I can load them on their side if I like and I have a quick detachable topcase.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 03-12-2019, 12:50 AM   #57

I've grown accustomed to the top-opening bags, but it's taken a while for us to get to that point. I've found that the Kaw luggage fits inside there very much better than the Bestem brand bags I had before them... They're higher, the Kaw bags, and fill the room left by the lids much better.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 03-12-2019, 06:37 AM   #58

I Like Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
I've grown accustomed to the top-opening bags, but it's taken a while for us to get to that point. I've found that the Kaw luggage fits inside there very much better than the Bestem brand bags I had before them... They're higher, the Kaw bags, and fill the room left by the lids much better.
I've liked the Top Opening bags from the first time I used them.

Never once did I overfill them and not get a tight seal. Did that on my 1600 nomad side bags and ended up with wet stuff.

I think they hold a lot more stuff also. And more stuff is important.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
I will have to look in to this. I have the bestem bags now. If I fill it like I did on the 1600, It won't fit in the Voyager and close. I bought a top case bag and that works well.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 03-13-2019, 09:58 PM   #60
Top Contributor

It has been over a year since I last logged in here, and probably another year before that since I last posted anything here. I too was one of the original members of KawaNOW (Nomad owner specific) and got involved with this forum very early on, leading to a long stint as the NW Region Leader. Indeed it was good times back then as the 1500/1600 Nomads were such an iconic bike. There was nothing quite like seeing 55 Nomads all in one place at the first National Rally in Custer, SD...and yes, the side opening bags were instantly recognizable at any speed, making it one of the most stylish baggers of all time.

Things did change when Kawasaki failed to listen to their faithful. Everyone was clamoring for an improved version of the 1600...ie: fairing, more power, sixth gear and tour pack...but utilizing the same awesome, roomy platform....just with all the things guys were adding as custom installs on their Nomads. Instead, Kawi came out with the 1700 Nomad and Voyager, complete misses from what Vulcan riders asked for. The forum changed its name to include new owners of those rides as well. That I believe was the beginning of the end...at least as us original members knew it.

Having said that, this forum led a lot of the founding members to become lifelong friends. People we met by going to the rallies year after year. Those of you who don't make that effort are missing out on great times and the very best part of what belonging to a group such as this is all about. Yes, many of us have stayed close and moved to a separate FB Group, but we still get together every year in a different western location although most, but not all, have long ago moved to other brands.

I traded my 2008 Nomad I bought new with 54K miles on it and bought a 2012 Voyager. I only owned it for a cup of coffee as it quickly proved untenable as a two-up tourer. Had I rode solo it would have been okay, but the lack of passenger room and small trunk made it unfit for the riding we like to do. I then bought a 2013 Victory Cross County Tour which we loved. I had to be very careful in slow speed turns, but nothing on the planet had more rider/passenger room and storage. Made some great trips on that bike with great memories.

When Polaris dropped the Victory line, I decide to finally dig deep and bought a 2O17 HD Ultra Limited. It had everything I wanted in a bike and gave me much better slow speed control. What truly sold me though was the new 107 engine and re-designed frame and suspension. No more vibration problems and all the get up and go one could want in a touring bike. I've never looked back.

Those in our FB group are tight like we were in the original KawaNOW group. If you wish to join, you can find us easy enough but will need to be vouched for by someone in the group. You will also be expected to attend our annual gatherings. That's what keeps us tight...the personal texts and daily posts on FB are what make seeing each other in person every year such a fun and pleasurable week. Things might have been so much different if Kawi had stepped up to the plate in 2009 and built the bike everyone asked for....

Like everyone though, I have very fond memories of my 1600 Nomad and what a great bunch of folks I met as a result....
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016