Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #16

Well, I'm a cheapskate and poor; that being said and with approval from management, thanks to this post I think I'll order up one of those Ultimate seat sets also. 750 plus shipping for front, rear, and front back rest (yeah). I'm light and the factory seat really tears up my rump and back. Thanks again for the great input on this sight. Update: Sunday AM: bought the Ultimate last night. Thanks folks.
Harley Bagger Muffs
Christian Motorcycle Rider

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by VARider07; 05-28-2017 at 08:18 AM.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:18 PM   #17

RDL seat follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Isn't a RDL seat built specifically for each individual ?
So how does buying a used one built for someone else work?
I made the trip from Seattle to Weed, Ca in 1 day, 512 miles. Ive never been able to make a ride like that without my butt just killing me. Not the case with the Day Long. I was riding with my Cousin, who was having his 4th Day long installed. He had a ride in appointment with Russell to have the seat made. After taking all his stats, height, weight, riding posture, and talking to the seat builder. They swapped out his seat for a loaner, and told us to come back in several hours. a trip up the street to the Smoke House for a great breakfast, a ride up to Shasta Lake Dam and its back for a fitting. Then give us a couple more hours to cover it.

Dealing with the folks at Russell was a real eye opener. I was talking to Jay Liebespeck, former seat builder, turned Director of Operations, it was like talking to a tailor. He looked at me standing next to my 02 Nomad, looked at the seat and said, the guy you bought this from was heavier than you. That surprised me, that he could tell that just by looking at the seat. Don, the member I bought the seat from, is 2" shorter and 50lbs heavier than me. I ask about moving the backrest back, It tends to want to push me forward more than I want. Jay told me that could be easily done. Just send them the passengers seat and backrest combination and they could adjust it for me. After the riding season is over and their schedule slows down, I'll send it in.

Reflecting on the whole Russell seat experience, I have zero regrets. For my purposes, this was an excellent way to make the move to a Russell seat. If and when I replace my Nomad, I will definatly put another Russell Day Long on it.
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige