Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-16-2017, 11:22 PM   #1

Transmission and Rider Backrst Questions

2005 1600 Nomad... 54000 K (30000+ miles) When shifting up from 1st to second... at really low RPM shift is smooth... Shifting at a more normal RPM shift "crashes" in to second...not like an old syncro crash... but definitely a rough shift... does it need adjustment... lube level issue... slave issue... ??? What is the best driver backrest...have factory passenger one... is there a matching one to be found other than from Kawasaki??? Thanks... just returning to Nomads...Had an 06... then 1800 Wing...then 09 Harley...then 1700 Kawi full tour...then rebuilt a Valkyrie...then 08 Victory Vision... then there were the 8 or so bikes before the 06.... Glad to be back... Hox

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-17-2017, 03:24 AM   #2

Well, what I'm thinking is your probably not shift firmly and cleanly from 1st to 2nd. There a little gap there....call its Kawas easy to find neutral setup. Try to shift firmly from 1st to 2nd, not rough, not forced, but firmly.
What I'm thinking is your just a little too light on the shifter. You can't be rough or you'll bend a shifting fork.
Another thing to check is hold the clutch delibertely just a touch long going into second, maybe your clutch is dragging slightly. Try that, and see.
You could have a problem with 2nd gear internally. I would check a couple of other things before jumping to that conclusion though.
Mechanically, the only things you can check externally make sure all your heel/toe shifter is tight on its pivot shaft. Make sure theres no slack or slop in the linkages from the heel/toe shifter to the gear shift shaft. See if the gear shift shaft is loose going into the trans.
Did you just buy the bike? Did it do this when you test rode it? Did this just start to happen? Did someone stall it hard in 2nd or wreck it in 2nd gear?
You can check your oil level frequently, and make sure its the right weight.
If it were me, personally, I'd try out the first couple of things first....then look at the linkages if no internal noise or vibration is happening. Then, I'd try to go with some 20w50 in the oil dept. If that helps, that would tell me theres possibly some wear in the gear to shaft clearences. The heavier oil will cushion that slightly on the higher mileage bikes.
If none of the above helps....its probably a internal gear problem. Possible a worn shifting drum/shifting fork.
Good luck and welcome back!

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 02-17-2017 at 03:28 AM.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:26 AM   #3

If I get a little lazy on the one-two shift mine does the same thing. Mine also does it when it's time to change the oil. I can tell every time it's getting close, just by the shifting. I also keep it logged down when I do any maintenance or repairs and the date and mileage it was done.

"Ride hard or stay home" Joe Robinson aka Old Dog, R.I.P

Old 02-17-2017, 06:52 AM   #4

check out the grasshopper backrest. I really like mine a nice rest for the money.

http://www.grasshopperlimited.com/
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 02-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Hox, I always use the heel to up shift, when I do that no problem. Sometimes a circumstance
will have me use the toe, I always have to make the 1st to 2nd shift very deliberate.
Try it...Be Safe.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-17-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
Hox, I always use the heel to up shift, when I do that no problem. Sometimes a circumstance
will have me use the toe, I always have to make the 1st to 2nd shift very deliberate.
Try it...Be Safe.
Same here, the heel shifter is your friend.

Old 02-19-2017, 03:35 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
Same here, the heel shifter is your friend.
Unless you wear big boots like mine when I ride. I bumped that thing once when I was moving my foot around. Man I just about kissed the handle bar. Took a hacksaw and cut it off the same day.

I need to be able to move my feet around without the fear of that happening again.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #8

Hey... Thanks for all the responses... took the bike to my shop and they explained it was likely because the bike had sat for too long and the problem had cleared up by the time I rode it to the shop and they test rode it... No heel toe shifter on this bike... had them... both liked and disliked them... particularly disliked them on long rides when, as alwhite00 stated... I need to reset my position often and have accidentally downshifted...

Old 02-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #9
Advanced Member

I got rid of the heal shifter, same as on my Rocket and Electra Glide. I just don't like them.

I noted the same issue with my 07 1600. Someone mentioned "preloading" the shift, that is, gently pushing up with the toe before pulling in the clutch and shifting. It really made a difference going into second.

Several years ago I read a road test about one of the other Kawasaki models and the tester commented that it had the typical Kawasaki clunky shifting transmission, apparently being a characteristic across several models.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
Unless you wear big boots like mine when I ride. I bumped that thing once when I was moving my foot around. Man I just about kissed the handle bar. Took a hacksaw and cut it off the same day.

I need to be able to move my feet around without the fear of that happening again.
You do know you can adjust the toe and heel shifter separately.
I set mine even with the floorboard so all I do is slide my foot back and drop my heel to shift. Yes I wear motorcycle boots also.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
You do know you can adjust the toe and heel shifter separately.
I set mine even with the floorboard so all I do is slide my foot back and drop my heel to shift. Yes I wear motorcycle boots also.
Yes, thats the exact way I prefer my heal shifter....after you get used to it....smooth as silk....no lifting your foot or your leg.

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 02-21-2017, 11:00 PM   #12

Thanks for all the feedback. Hox

Old 02-22-2017, 06:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Yes, thats the exact way I prefer my heal shifter....after you get used to it....smooth as silk....no lifting your foot or your leg.
I'll 2nd or 3rd (?) that one.

With a bad left knee it's extremely uncomfortable for me to use only the toe shifter.

One of the first mods I made to the MeanStreak was the addition of floorboards and a heal shifter from a donor Nomad.

MT
VBA 936

Old 02-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #14

Removed the heel shifter on mine. My big old foot and the heel shifter didnt have enough room for two.

Tags
backrest, transmission