Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber63 View Post
oh I didn't go any where. I just don't want to upset you over sensitive Harley boys again.( just joke just in case you can't tell, I know your a little slow)
I've been riding for 30 plus year have had my nomad since 08. Joined another Vulcan site in 09 as some of you are. It just doesn't seem to be as good as this one as for tech advise and information. I read this one almost every day. I don't reply a lot. What I probably like the most about this site is the owners of the different brands of bikes, then you can see the pros and cons of different ones. Reading Macs post are probably some of my favorites. but TC attitude about noise and and darkside tires are close to my line of thinking ( now that should give you some more ammo to fire at me)
Good to hear... but don't forget the beer and liquor at the rallies!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
Chiropracters from San Diego..... Add to the list Family Counselors from Denver.
Glad Zamboni Drivers from Foxborough didn't make the list....

BTW, thanks for the reminder, putting the tender on the 06 oem battery today, gonna be 70 here tomorrow !
VBA # 02065 VROC #29763

Sold - 2006 Nomad Green/Silver - Cobra Light Bar & Luggage Rack, Kuryakyn Longhorn Dually Pegs, Phat II Risers, Mustang w/backrest, Vista Cruise, Vance & Hines, PCIII, Kruiser Kaddy, Classic Engine Guard Chaps, Electrical Connection R,B,T LED Conversion, Jay Stephens LED Tail Light.

Current Ride - 15 Road Glide S.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #48

Kawasaki is going to replace the tank for me. Just recieved word this week they would honor the faulty weld in the tank. Glad they took care of the problem. As for the people thinking I'm complaining too much, well maybe I am, but having to replace the clutch spring before 30k with the Barnett, pinging, and rear seal is just un-acceptable to me, much less the leaking assed tank. I feel that Kawasaki laid an egg with that. I don't expect perfection with the bike I buy, I just think a rider should recieve more value out of a bike that is supposed to be "higher class" than an entry level bike.

As far the gas guage comment....it's supposed to work, I didn't buy the bike with the expectation that the led's would quit and I would just have to "deal with it." why can't this bike be as worry free as the ninja I rode the hell out of?

Last edited by curtcold; 11-13-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #49

Sorry, I've put almost 40,000 miles on my bike and haven't had any of those issues. Don't know what to say other than there are the occassional duds in everything. Nothing's perfect. But most nomad owners would tell you that they are very dependable bikes.

Love my 05 Nomad. Been very trustworthy and fun.
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Old 11-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #50
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post

And last but not least... bring beer and liquor when you come to the rallies, otherwise -- we'll have a REAL problem!
Make sure you bring plenty of fruity foo-foo drinks for Wilson and BD. Extra fruit for BD.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #51
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Make sure you bring plenty of fruity foo-foo drinks for Wilson and BD. Extra fruit for BD.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #52
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
Chiropracters from San Diego..... Add to the list Family Counselors from Denver.
OK, that made me do a spit take

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 11-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #53
Advanced Member

Got 70,000 km's - steering head bearings ( no grease) - swingarm ( no grease) - swing arm rubber boot ( cracked)- paint fell off swingarm ( poor quality) - u-joint ( no grease) - rear end seal ( cheap) - clutch pushrod seal ( cheap) - rear shocks ( leaked big time) - cam chain adjusters ( poor design) - clutch spring ( poor design) - all of these were quite easy to fix. This bike does seem to be maintenace heavy, I have had other brands that did not need as much little fixes with way ( and I mean way) more mileage - but the damn thing does grow on you and so far repair costs ( I did most myself) are way less than many of my ridding buddies have paid for on their Harley's! I'm not slagging HD, just most of the people I ride with are not wrench friendly and the HD shops make nothing but money on them!! Example: when the pushrod seal failed in Sturgis the total cost to repair was under 10 bucks. Seal $4.50 and glue $5.00 . Rear end seal - $7.65 plus new oil. - etc. Just saying.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:11 PM   #54
Advanced Member

stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
Sorry, I've put almost 40,000 miles on my bike and haven't had any of those issues. Don't know what to say other than there are the occassional duds in everything. Nothing's perfect. But most nomad owners would tell you that they are very dependable bikes.

Love my 05 Nomad. Been very trustworthy and fun.
Wow almost a similar stable. I also have the 12 candy green vaq and 05 black and silver nomad.
Peace Makers LEMC

Old 01-29-2017, 11:32 PM   #55

What he said! There are lemons in every make, but Nomads are extremely reliable and roadworthy. Whoever had that bike first at the beginning of this thread probably just rode the hell outta it and abused it. If they had just fixed it, it probably would've gone 15 years before any work if treated decent.
I was a Harley person before my Nomad. I had a 97 vulcan 1500 totally customized, rode it a year brfore pulling the trigger on the Nomad. I love my Nomad, and I'll always own one as long as I can get parts to make them run.
I was raised with harleys, rode harleys all my life, owned a 64/65 ElectraGlide/Duoglide(5 years), '78flh(2 years), and a 82 Electraglide I hade rode for over 20 years. After my 2nd trans rebuild, I went with a 5 speed baker since I had a 96"S&S stroker kit in it. I loved that bike, but it shook and vibrated so damn bad, as I got older and had been thru a bad wreck, my body just couldn't take it anymore. It was smooth as silk from 60 on up....
The Nomads will be in my life till the end.
I do love Harleys, I was a Harley Service Tech all my life and I rode them. Now, they're too expensive, still vibrate too much....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 01-30-2017, 08:02 AM   #56

Did anyone notice this thread was 4+ years old? 😅😅😨

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 01-30-2017, 09:06 AM   #57
Sr. Contributor

Yes, and I read it all again.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 01-30-2017, 09:36 AM   #58
Advanced Member

Good reading for a cold rainy day.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.