Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-27-2016, 02:13 PM   #1

Question 2 issues with my new Vaquero

Hello Everyone

I wanted to know if these problems are normal or if I need to get something fixed

My brakes have a different feel depending on how I apply the brakes. For example if I apply the front brake then the rear the front brake is very easy to pull. If I do the opposite and apply the rear brake first then the front brake is noticeably more stiff. Does this have something to do with the linked brakes or is something not right here?

Secondly, the bike pulls right. When I engage cruise I must keep a good grip on the handlebars and keep a little pressure to stay straight. If I let go of the bars the bike pulls right quickly. I am thinking this is effecting my steering all the time making right turns easier and left turns more difficult. Plus it's kinda annoying. Anyone else had this problem?
-ECU Ivanized
-Clearview medium with recurve

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #2

Yep Sounds about right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dutch View Post
Hello Everyone

I wanted to know if these problems are normal or if I need to get something fixed

My brakes have a different feel depending on how I apply the brakes. For example if I apply the front brake then the rear the front brake is very easy to pull. If I do the opposite and apply the rear brake first then the front brake is noticeably more stiff. Does this have something to do with the linked brakes or is something not right here?

Secondly, the bike pulls right. When I engage cruise I must keep a good grip on the handlebars and keep a little pressure to stay straight. If I let go of the bars the bike pulls right quickly. I am thinking this is effecting my steering all the time making right turns easier and left turns more difficult. Plus it's kinda annoying. Anyone else had this problem?
Yep it's the linked brakes you are experiencing. When you apply the Rear bread the K-ACT system applies some percentage to (just the left front - If I remember correctly). So yes when you apply the rear first the front brake will feel different. Similar with the Front - Some percentage is applied to the rear. If I remember right - this is discussed in the owners manual.

For the Pulling to the right - check the alignment of the rear tire. Measure or count the threads on the adjuster bolts. Do not assume the notches are 100% accurate.

Good Luck.
Mike

Old 06-28-2016, 03:12 PM   #3

The linked brakes are new to me, I figured that was the culprit, and the brakes do feel just fine for stopping power so I will just figure out how to get used to it.

I checked the rear tire alignment by counting the threads and it looks correct (same amount of threads) and the notches also happen to line up correctly. The belt seems to always be to the outermost edge of the rear pulley but not rubbing or riding up the edge at all. Anyone have any other ideas on what can cause this pulling to the right?
-ECU Ivanized
-Clearview medium with recurve

Old 06-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #4

Is the right front caliper dragging on the rotor?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 06-28-2016, 06:07 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
If your belt is riding to the outside edge of the pulley it means that your back tire is pointing left (looking at it from the rear). adjust the belt so it rides close to the inside instead of the outside and see if that helps.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #6

Yep What He Said

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
If your belt is riding to the outside edge of the pulley it means that your back tire is pointing left (looking at it from the rear). adjust the belt so it rides close to the inside instead of the outside and see if that helps.
Me tends to agree with you - Riding on the outside edge is not the preferred place. Not sure of the exact amount but a couple credit card widths from the inside is about the right gap.

I suggest loosening the axel and tightening the right side (non belt side a wisker) This would loosen the belt just a touch - most are too tight anyway.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:38 AM   #7
Top Contributor

Be careful taking both hands off the bars. You might experience the dreaded wheel wobble that gets progressively worse very quickly.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #8

Measure the distance of the mark for the pulley adjustment from the swing arm if you think that the marks aren't accurate. Can't hurt to measure from multiple places.

When I got my bike, it pulled to the right. The dealership had put a new rear tire on it before I took possession. When I changed my rear tire, I noticed that the rear brake pads were worn at an angle. Looking at the marks, it looks like they did a piss poor job of aligning when they put the tire on. Now I have them right and no more pulling.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:31 PM   #9

Lucky Dutch,
For what it is worth, +1 on what has been said.
Linked brakes and the K-ACT ABS feel different than a non version.
Rear tire alignment, triple check that. Also, adjust your luggage a bit. If you have one side noticeably heavier than the other, switch/rearrange, etc.
When my laptop and bag (HEAVY) are in the left (belt side) bag, the bike seems less "neutral" that without anything in the bags...

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115