Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-06-2016, 06:07 PM   #106
Advanced Member

The flash does truthfully reduce engine running temps. A change to non-glycol racing coolant like I just did helps even more. I haven't been able to get mine to actually reach full operating temperature (like 180 fh) yet but tomorrow it goes out on an 80 degree day for the first time this year. And now the cooling fan comes on at an honest 210 ( I did this with the bikes sitting idling long enough) and cools the motor right back down quickly...no need for a manual switch to the fan now. The flash was well worth every penny invested...it takes care of so many functions all in one that could'nt be done otherwise including not having to mess with a fuel/air device controller of any kind. For anyone riding a Vulcan 1700 if you can come up with the scratch, get this done.....you will have ZERO regrets, trust me.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
Had terrible Swamp Ass riding in the South FL heat, since the flash barely minor Swamp ass since the engine temps have been significantly reduced in my opinion.
.....also known as "mud butt" here in Canada

Old 04-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #108
Advanced Member

yall are in need of some monkey butt powder, and sprinkle around your feet too!

Old 04-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #109

Well, today was the day to get the bike out of winter storage. Of course, that was exciting even if the ride home was in -8 degree C!!! BUT the REAL excitement for me was what my 2015 Voyager was going to feel like with Ivan's tuning work on the ECU. As I say, the weather was very cold to be riding and doing any "test rides" but I have to say that I really noticed a more positive throttle. There just seemed to me to be more "umph" there up to 5th gear. I cannot wait to get the new Tri-Ovals on the bike next weekend. I'm praying for warmer temperature and dry conditions to "try it out" on the road.

Last edited by ve3qmm; 04-16-2016 at 07:08 PM.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve3qmm View Post
Well, today was the day to get the bike out of winter storage. Of course, that was exciting even if the ride home was in -8 degree C!!! BUT the REAL excitement for me was what my 2015 Voyager was going to feel like with Ivan's tuning work on the ECU. As I say, the weather was very cold to be riding and doing any "test rides" but I have to say that I really noticed a more positive throttle. There just seemed to me to be more "umph" there up to 5 gear. I cannot wait to get the new Tri-Ovals on the bike next weekend. I'm praying for warmer temperature and dry conditions to "try it out" on the road.
I'm next Mike!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-16-2016, 07:15 PM   #111

So at the risk of being a Ivan cheerleader... Oh, what the hell, I AM an Ivan cheerleader.

I got my 2015 Voyager out in the great weather yesterday and today and WOW what a difference! (And those Cobra Tri Ovals are really nice, too, BTW.) By way of a comparison, I have a buddy who also has a 2015 Voyager with Tri Ovals but he has the Cobra fi2000 Pro AT fuel processor instead. Other than the fi2000 on his bike and mine having Ivan's re-flashed ECU, these bikes are identical. We swapped bikes for a ride and both could not believe what a difference there was in the throttle response and acceleration that mine has with Ivan's re-flash.

After our ride today, from the looks of it I know two more 1700 Vulcan riders who are "going for the Ivanator" before we get much further into the riding season. (Joe and Dave, you're gonna love it!)

Last edited by ve3qmm; 04-16-2016 at 07:25 PM.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #112

I've been Ivanized

I installed my Ivanized ECU today. I have to echo what everyone else has said-fixes all the issues. Runs smoother, cooler, stronger, no popping, no throttle lag, decent MPG, etc. If you're on the fence, just do it. You won't be sorry!

Big Dog
Atlanta, GA
2011 Vaquero

Old 04-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve3qmm View Post
Well, today was the day to get the bike out of winter storage. Of course, that was exciting even if the ride home was in -8 degree C!!! BUT the REAL excitement for me was what my 2015 Voyager was going to feel like with Ivan's tuning work on the ECU. As I say, the weather was very cold to be riding and doing any "test rides" but I have to say that I really noticed a more positive throttle. There just seemed to me to be more "umph" there up to 5th gear. I cannot wait to get the new Tri-Ovals on the bike next weekend. I'm praying for warmer temperature and dry conditions to "try it out" on the road.
Hey VE3

What method did you ship your ECU to Ivan? I am currently in Arizona where I have my 2011 Voyager which I rode all winter. I spend the summers in Calgary (home) and when I return there in a few weeks I have purchased a 2015 Voyager (new) from my dealer and I am seriously considering sending the ECU from the new bike to Ivan for a flash. I don't want that process to take any longer than needed but don't want to break the bank with shipping costs either. Any info is appreciated on the best way to ship the ECU. Thanks.
2015 Voyager ABS

Old 04-16-2016, 11:29 PM   #114
Advanced Member

I sent mine to him US postal service. With insurance and 4 days from Oregon to New York, $25.00 total for everything went from here on Thursday he got it the following Monday. I packed it in my own box and foam got there unscathed.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:44 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo279 View Post
Hey VE3

What method did you ship your ECU to Ivan? I am currently in Arizona where I have my 2011 Voyager which I rode all winter. I spend the summers in Calgary (home) and when I return there in a few weeks I have purchased a 2015 Voyager (new) from my dealer and I am seriously considering sending the ECU from the new bike to Ivan for a flash. I don't want that process to take any longer than needed but don't want to break the bank with shipping costs either. Any info is appreciated on the best way to ship the ECU. Thanks.
I sent mine from California to NY USPS Priority 3-days with $900.00 insurance and the total was $25.75

I received it back from Ivan FedEx 3-Days and it was $28.00

Just under $404.00 total cost to me.

Worth every penny I spent

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 04-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #116

Send a message via AIM to dabull
Anyone have any mileage numbers after the Ivan flash?

Old 04-17-2016, 11:30 AM   #117

I would be interested as well except that I would have to remove the ecu and that would mean downtime and the fact that spring has sprung says not now. As far as the heat issue, most of the heat that you feel actually comes from the rear header pipe, I installed the KAMS in my 2010 and it made a world of difference, and coupled with the heat shields I have on the bike, I get no heat at all.

It is too bad that Ivan does not do a one for one swap, as then I would probably go for it, he send me a revised one and I send him my stock one, I have tri ovals, the Alley kat air cleaner and the Cobra AT, I am wondering though if the flash just complements the Auto tuner or I can get rid of it all together?
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 04-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
that would mean downtime
Yes, but it won't take too many rides "after flash" to completely forget about the down time!

Big Dog
Atlanta, GA
2011 Vaquero

Old 04-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog1294 View Post
Yes, but it won't take too many rides "after flash" to completely forget about the down time!
Yes, I second that

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 04-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #120
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
I would be interested as well except that I would have to remove the ecu and that would mean downtime and the fact that spring has sprung says not now. As far as the heat issue, most of the heat that you feel actually comes from the rear header pipe, I installed the KAMS in my 2010 and it made a world of difference, and coupled with the heat shields I have on the bike, I get no heat at all.

It is too bad that Ivan does not do a one for one swap, as then I would probably go for it, he send me a revised one and I send him my stock one, I have tri ovals, the Alley kat air cleaner and the Cobra AT, I am wondering though if the flash just complements the Auto tuner or I can get rid of it all together?
I pulled my ECU on Sunday, boxed it and sent it out on Monday and had it back on Friday mid day. 4 1/2 day down time is not to bad. I am in California and the box went to New York. I sent it next day delivery, $900.00 insurance and signature required. It was $54.00 USPS. Ivan called back on Tuesday and asked how fast I wanted it back. I could have ask for next day delivery but my work schedule and rain wouldn't let me go play.

But you can get it Fasssst.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.