Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #16

..Yea..I'v never understood how the "gov. engineers" come up with the idea that burning more fuel...equals..less pollution !

I calculate that if modern engines had been engineered to run on real gasoline..and using the devices that really reduce pollution...the cars of today would be getting that 60 mpg pie in the sky economy...

I read that some lab did a comparison test of a stock 1932 Ford flat head V8 engine..against a modern EPA Approved engine..and proved less pollution per lb of fuel burned and.. The same MPG/lb of weight moved..as modern engines...thus no actual improvement in engine output/lbs fuel burned/lbs of vehicle moved..Since 1932 !

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-30-2014, 12:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
The lager sold in England is served as cold as anywhere else in the world. If you drink beer, (which is actuallly Ale in the U.K) it is best served at a temperature so that you can actually taste the brew rather than getting a lager that you can hardly tell the difference between one brand or another. English beer is not served warm :)
Perhaps it's a question of interpretation then... I found it warm.

And I worked as a cellarman while I was there too, so I drank beer for a living.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 06-30-2014, 06:06 AM   #18
Top Contributor

I just got back from the U.K and was born there. Having had 1,000's of pints there in my 12 years of drinking in the U.K I never considered the beer warm. When lager became popular in the mid 70's it was served much colder than beer (ale). Lager is more expensive than beer at around 3 to 3.50 (U.K pounds) a pint. A pint of ale can be had for 1.70 a pint.

With the big supermarkets selling cans of beer for a U.K pound there are many pubs that are closing. It is hard to make a living owning a pub in the U.K these days. The good pubs are the ones that are surviving are making their profit selling food. A few pubs can make a go of it just selling alcohol if they are located in densely populated areas where people can walk to it.

The days of U.K pubs being packed with guys playing cards and dominoes and having a conversation are gone. My local pub near my mums in the U.K was closed 5 weeks ago.
My grandfather went there in the 50's, my dad went there in the 60's, and I went there in the 70's. There were 3 other pubs that were within walking distance from home that have all closed in the last 5 years. There was a time when a beer from the store was approximately the same price as the beer in the pub. Those days have gone.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #19
Sr. Contributor

it's 97 degrees F here today and while I just washed out my MC cooler on my MC trailer the one that I pulled to Cal and more or less back (wasn't stolen with the 01 Nad, today I too am a cellar man what ever that is. Need to get into town but will wait a while.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #20

Among the pubs I worked at were 2 in Soho during the 80's. The Red Lion & the White Horse. The Horse in particular was the local for many of the actors in the shows in the area, and there was a fantastic atmosphere in those days. Workers in any of the local industries (many of us foreign) always felt there was someone watching our backs.

I'd be sorry to find that atmosphere isn't there any more.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-30-2014, 03:24 PM   #21

..I got hooked on German Pilsner back in the day...when I could buy a "Flip Top", 1/2 liter ..for aprox 20cents US,.. less than a German Mark, that at the time was equal to a US quarter...of a dollar !

While in French Guiana...I was also across the river in Dutch Guiana some of the time...they had a beer, PARBO..that was also pretty good ! I still have old friends from pseudo-military -experiences- in that area..

Old 07-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #22

OK so it seems like Debaffling is a personal preference.

So do true duels effect performance?

once again i know nothing so i looked up some pipes (V&H) liked the look but i mentioned them to someone and they said unless it is a 2 into 1 you lose back pressure and all sorts of stuff.

any merit to that?

Thanks,

99 Nomad 1500

Old 03-15-2015, 10:33 PM   #23

I seemto like the sound of the two into one. It sounds like a better pipe, lol. I used to ride dirtbikes, and would tune them by sound.
Afterburner 4500LM LED headlamp
Ivan's Performance
12 VDC plug-in
BAK Thunder mfg.
Cobra Tri-Flo
2011 Ducati Monster 796
2006 GSXR 600 (track bike)

Old 03-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #24

I debaffed my '04 FI Nomad, then did a shade-tree intake mod and added a TFI. I like the way it runs and sounds. I also took the exhaust cones out of my '93 Honda 750 pipes (4 into 2), cut off most of the cone tube, and put the cones back in with sheet metal screws. Sounds awesome, a nice growly tone that reminds me of an Italian sport coupe I used to have.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #25
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan View Post
Taking the baffles out will not have any effect on the "flow" of air.
The goat bladder (big ugly thing the head pipes go into) will only allow so much exhaust to move thru it.
The goat bladder also reduces the volume more than the baffles.
Like TC, I liked the sound after the baffles were removed. It won't really be any louder just a little deeper tone.
I ended up putting Road House pipes on it later.
I agree with this.

But I am against debaffle. To me it sounds tinny.

I also disagree louder is safer. I had a mc idiot pass me on the DC Beltway doin' better than 100 mph and I didn't know he was there until he was ahead of me. At that point I just wanted to shoot the SOB.

My 06 Nad is set up with a right side only Cadman, TFI (old style solder on) and has V&H baggers with baffles. Why ? More power... cooler running engine with adjusted fuel mix possible. gets better MPG's because the factory ECU setting is way to lean.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #26

Mac,

Glad to see you posting again!

I'm new around here and your posts are the ones I follow when planning changes to my Nomad. I appreciate your help even though you don't know me.

Ok, enough mush, now back to our regular programming.

2006 Nomad 1600
Dobeck TFI, Chuckster intake, stock exhaust, coasters
VBA #02973

If life gives you lemons, add gin and tonic!

Old 03-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #27

All laws, from jaywalking to capitol murder, are enforced with the barrel of a gun....Freedom is preserved the same way.

This is not really true. LEO doesn't have that sidearm to force you to obey the law, he has it in case you may want to argue the point with your sidearm.