Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-15-2015, 11:27 PM   #1

Question New throttle cables?

06 nomad, 42K miles, Chucksters single plate, V&H, Cobra fuel processor. Just had rear exhaust pipe re-welded from 2nd break, reinstalled and went for a ride. Notice that the throttle was not returning to idle as it should, and that the throttle adustment/locking nut was not tight. Got it back home and cleaned the throttle bodies, lubed the throttle cables, and idle adjust, tried to adjust the cables and could get it to idle correctly. I have the shop manual and see the instructions for throttle cable replacement but has anyone here replaced theirs and does it sound like I need new ones?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2015, 05:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhthept View Post
06 nomad, 42K miles, Chucksters single plate, V&H, Cobra fuel processor. Just had rear exhaust pipe re-welded from 2nd break, reinstalled and went for a ride. Notice that the throttle was not returning to idle as it should, and that the throttle adustment/locking nut was not tight. Got it back home and cleaned the throttle bodies, lubed the throttle cables, and idle adjust, tried to adjust the cables and could get it to idle correctly. I have the shop manual and see the instructions for throttle cable replacement but has anyone here replaced theirs and does it sound like I need new ones?
I noticed one of my inner cable's is frayed at the carb end,but due to the price of a new OEM part, containing 2 inner & outer cable's, i will be ordering one similar to this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-...item5b0851840e

Old 03-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #3

Ive never heard of anyone needing to replace the cables yet, but theres always a first time.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #4

If its not the cables what else could it be? I can get an idle with the throttle cracked a little but when I go to adjust the cable it dies. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:20 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Will the engine idle with the so called choke knob pulled out a little bit ?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #6

If it won't idle, sounds like you need to adjust the idle speed. The bike should start & idle even if it had no cables.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #7

Yes Mac it will but idles high. I think it is the idle cable, I got the throttle cables adjusted pretty close but still idles at least 1k rpm too high, turning idle cable does nothing. I can see it turning at the engine end of the cable but no change to idle.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:09 PM   #8

I think I figured it out, seems to run like it shd. Got the idle cable to work I think and the "choke" was pulled out just slightly. Duh...

Old 03-16-2015, 11:14 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Vulcan E is right. The engine should idle with no cables at all. There is a stop on the throttle body and the next best stop is the choke cable thing which sets the throttle linkage open a bit more, and then that black knob. And you might have a cracked vac line somewhere letting un-metered air in since the idle is too high.. The 2 real throttle cable are push pull, and there should be some slack either way at hands off the grip idle.
That choke is no choke either it is just a movable throttle body stop, and all it does is set the butterflies open more.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 03-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #10

The idle adjustment cable, the one with the black knob just below the air breather on the RH side is known to seize up, give it a spray and get it moving again so you can adjust the idle.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
The idle adjustment cable, the one with the black knob just below the air breather on the RH side is known to seize up, give it a spray and get it moving again so you can adjust the idle.
That knob also must be pulled down to get it to turn.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac