Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 03-02-2015, 07:23 PM   #1

Synthetic oil in an older motor?

Heaven forbid I should start another oil thread ( aaaarrrrgggg!!!) but I do have an oil question I'd like to get some opinions on.
I just bought a 2008 Nissan Frontier V-6 4X4 with 90,000 miles on it. I have no idea what it's oil history is but I'm wondering if it's a waste of $ to run synthetic oil in it. At 90K miles I figure all the major wear has already been done and theres nothing to gain by using synthentic.
What do you think?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Synthetic oil is some good stuff for a higher mileage engine. It doesn't break down under a load the way dyno oil does. When it first came out I can remember people thinking it was eating the gaskets out of older engines cause they would develop small oil leaks. Truth is synthetic oil doesn't eat gasket materials at all. Dyno oil will leave small deposits and gum in potential leaking gaskets and seals which will stop the leak. Synthetic oil have heavy detergents that will remove the dyno deposits and the once potential leak,,,, will leak. BUT synthetic oil will not hurt an engine with high mileage. If anything it will prolong the life of the internal moving parts. Hope this helps.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #3

Not a chemical engineer or anything, but I've read that syn oil has a smaller molecule than dino, and will find minute flaws in older engines and gaskets, and will start to leak where a dino oil would not.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #4

After you drive it for awhile, if it seems to be using oil, I'd stick with reg dino oil. Chances are that the PO , unless they did their own oil changes, probably used reg oil.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 03-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #5

My last truck, a '94 Ford Ranger, began a slow leak at the rear main seal at about 150K miles. I switched to Valvoline Max Life for older engines and I'll be darned if it didn't seal it right up. Never dripped again. I was impressed. If I don't go to synthetic I'll probably use the Max Life.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-03-2015, 05:25 PM   #6

I had a 20 year old truck that developed some slow leaks from the crankcase and added some Lucas stop leak which did the trick. I second the opinion that running synthetic may just cost more money. It allows more miles between changes but if it's leaking it counteracts the savings. Here is the Lucas product I used.

http://lucasoil.com/products/heavy-d...-oil-stop-leak
VulcanBagger #01711, VRA/GA VRA, SCRC,
VROC #29671, AMA #1085989,
Red Knights MC GA-18 Pres, PGR

Old 03-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #7

No, my truck is not leaking but at 90K I figure it would be a candidate for oil engineered for an older motor.

Last edited by Vulcan Bill; 03-03-2015 at 06:24 PM.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #8

Bill, I have an '05 Nissan Frontier V-6 4X4 NISMO with 112,000 miles on it, and I run mobile synthetic blend 5w30. No leaks, and it doesn't use a drop of oil between changes which by the way is every 5000 miles. One thing you really need to be made aware of if yours is an automatic, is what they call "cross contamination". It affects all Nissan's (and Infinity's) from 2005 thru 2010. The radiators have a flaw and could rupture inside letting the coolant mix with the transmission fluid, and it will destroy the transmission. Nissan has extended the transmission warranty to 100,000 miles, but after that your on your own. I did have to replace mine at 108,000 miles on my dime (and lots of them). If you have any questions, send me a PM. Other than that, it is a GREAT truck.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #9

^^^^^
Thanks for the heads up. Soon after buying it (last week) I went on line to check by VIN # for recalls and tech bullitons. It appears mine is in the clear with the exception of the possibility of cross contamination and the fuel float hanging up at 1/4 tank. I'm running my tank down now to see if it hangs up and am monitoring the trans oil for water and coolent for tranny fluid.

I thought one of the bennies of using synthetic was you didn't have to change it as often as dino oil. If your changing oil every 5000 why not just go with dino oil?

Old 03-03-2015, 11:52 PM   #10

I ran synthetic oil in the last 2 vehicles i owned and changed every 10000 miles with no problem
VBA #477
2007 Red and Silver Nomad (traded 4/10/2014)
2013 Blue and Black Voyager

Old 03-04-2015, 12:23 PM   #11

I run dino oil in my '94 Acura Legend Coupe with 155k on it, changed about every 7500mi per owners manual.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
^^^^^

I thought one of the bennies of using synthetic was you didn't have to change it as often as dino oil. If your changing oil every 5000 why not just go with dino oil?
I run synthetic blend, which is half & half, and I do a lot of short trips (only live 5 miles from work), and it takes me about 10 months to do 5000 miles in the truck, so to ease my mind, I change it at 5000~6000 mile intervals.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-04-2015, 08:22 PM   #13

Ahhh, I see. I commute on my bike a lot so only put about 6000 miles on the truck each year. With 90,000 miles on the Frontier I just bought and assuming its good for 200,000 I should be able to drive it for 15 to 20 years. At least thats my plan anyhow.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:33 PM   #14
Top Contributor

You are lucky if a car has any life left after 10 years around here.
The extremes of summer heat and winter cold and salt on the roads in the winter takes its toll.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:48 PM   #15

Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
You are lucky if a car has any life left after 10 years around here.
The extremes of summer heat and winter cold and salt on the roads in the winter takes its toll.

Here in the Arizona desert things are preserved better...kinda like beef jerky.

Last edited by Vulcan Bill; 03-04-2015 at 11:18 PM.