Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to cndfireman
2012 vaq no cruise

Just returned from a long ride and was very disappointed due to the lack for cruise and perhaps some embarrassment from fellow Harley riders that I tease due to bike issues! Any when I was out and turned the cruise button on the light lights up but when I try to set the cruise will not set! only the amber light stays on no green light to set speed. And yes before anybody asks the bike was in high gear and the indicator also displayed it I have found that out the hard way lol! On a side not does anybody else find it a little odd that the cruise control will disengage when the turn signals are activated? Very inconvenient on the highway I must say. So if anybody else has had this issue please advise what you determined the concern to be.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
Advanced Member

Your bike has on-board self diagnostics.
Shift the transmission to 1st gear, press and hold the "S" button while turning the ignition to ON.
The display will read CHEC, and there will be a number 1 thru 7 showing below it.
1 means the throttle body switch failed
2 means front brake switch
3 means rear brake switch
4 means clutch switch
5 means neutral switch
6 means set switch
7 means resume switch

You can also activate each switch and see the numbers come up and cruise light flash.
The cruise should work in any gear above 3rd above 60 kmph.
The turn signals have no affect on the cruise.

My guess is your clutch switch has failed, simply remove it and spray contact cleaner into the access hole and blow it clean with compressed air.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to jonboy98837
My cruise has acted up once or twice. I clean the switches and it always works. One time just turning the bike on and off made it work. I live on the West coast (literally) and the switches seem to get some kind of corrosion on them that is very easy to clean with a little wd40 and a q-tip.. I didn't know about the diagnostics, so learned something new too.. Thanks.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #4

You're cruise doesn't have to be in high gear. It can be in any gear after 3rd and be going at least 35 mph.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 10-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #5

My foot brake switch likes to stick with the same results. Take a look and make sure it is fully releasing.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-06-2014, 05:29 AM   #6

the cruise on my bike holds at 25mph 3rd gear
Big air kit, amp, Zumo 665, touratech lock, Kaw GPS holder, Avon grips, handle bar extended, Blue lights all over, cobra trunk rack, kaw rear speakers, kicker upgraded speakers commander 2 tires, dyna beads,

Old 10-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndfireman View Post
Just returned from a long ride and was very disappointed due to the lack for cruise and perhaps some embarrassment from fellow Harley riders that I tease due to bike issues! Any when I was out and turned the cruise button on the light lights up but when I try to set the cruise will not set! only the amber light stays on no green light to set speed. And yes before anybody asks the bike was in high gear and the indicator also displayed it I have found that out the hard way lol! On a side not does anybody else find it a little odd that the cruise control will disengage when the turn signals are activated? Very inconvenient on the highway I must say. So if anybody else has had this issue please advise what you determined the concern to be.
The switch under the floorboard by the rear brake is by far the most common reason it does not engage. There are two switches on the rear brake, one you can easily see from the top...that is for the brake lights...and a smaller micro switch you can only see if you look under the floorboard. Clean it up and hit it with a little WD 40 and maybe adjust it and it should be fine. I fixed mine once on the road just by depressing it fully a few times...it just sticks sometimes.

Now, canceling with the turn signals. That is odd, I do not believe mine does that. I can't imagine I went 16K miles on mine and never used the turn signal while in cruise. I am pretty certain I did, I lead 6 guys on a 2500 mile run out west. No way I would change lanes with a group and not use my signals. No way I would do it solo over, I am pretty good at that kind of stuff.

Something else is broke there...I got nothing.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
The switch under the floorboard by the rear brake is by far the most common reason it does not engage. There are two switches on the rear brake, one you can easily see from the top...that is for the brake lights...and a smaller micro switch you can only see if you look under the floorboard. Clean it up and hit it with a little WD 40 and maybe adjust it and it should be fine. I fixed mine once on the road just by depressing it fully a few times...it just sticks sometimes.
That was what the problem was on mine, cleaned it and works fine now.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220