Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-14-2014, 11:29 PM   #1

Garmin Zumo vs TomTom Rider

I have been using a Garmin Nuvi 2595 for navigation and was somewhat satisfied. Then not only did I get a full face helmet but also a Scala Rider G9x. Much to my chagrin I quickly discovered Nuvi's pair with bluetooth phones but are not compatible with bluetooth headsets.

So, like many of you who pinch the nickel for change, I'm looking for a MC GPS that will pair with my headset and not break the bank. Do any of you have comparison experience that would point me toward either Garmin or TomTom?

Any help will be appreciated.
VBA #02592

Bash In the Bitterroots 2014
SE Rally in Nacoochee Valley 2016

Don't regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-14-2014, 11:45 PM   #2

Do you have a smart phone?
My smartphone has gps maps and works via bluetooth with my Sena SMH 1O. I put my smartphone in my Ram Mount X grip.

I am sure your Scala has the same capability.

side note..my Nuvi 360 (old but works!) has Bluetooth as well.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 03-15-2014, 02:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post
Do you have a smart phone?
My smartphone has gps maps and works via bluetooth with my Sena SMH 1O. I put my smartphone in my Ram Mount X grip.

I am sure your Scala has the same capability.

side note..my Nuvi 360 (old but works!) has Bluetooth as well.

I do have a smart phone. Actually my bride suggested using the phone GPS capability too. I'll give it a try but at the risk of a self fulfilling failure I don't think I'll be happy with it.

Having said that, what app do you use for planning trips? I can't inagine you do it all on the phone. How easy is it to plan to use byways rather than hiways?

Thanks for the option.

Ed
VBA #02592

Bash In the Bitterroots 2014
SE Rally in Nacoochee Valley 2016

Don't regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #4

The Google maps app on iPhones don't allow planned routes to be imported, although I think the droid version does. Look at the TomTom app for your phone. Allows you to use your smartphone for gps, but plan routes on a regular computer.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Paps View Post
So, like many of you who pinch the nickel for change, I'm looking for a MC GPS that will pair with my headset and not break the bank. Do any of you have comparison experience that would point me toward either Garmin or TomTom?

Any help will be appreciated.
Re: Zumo vs TomTom - Tried TomTom once in Toronto as an upgrade from a Garmin StreetPilot (which would now be a vintage model, I suppose). TomTom directed me to turn the wrong way into a four-lane one-way. Fortunately, I'd spotted the sign indicating direction of travel, otherwise I might have been toast. I promptly returned it to the vendor and picked up a Garmin Nuvi - no regrets, except that over time maps take up more and more space, and then you get the option to install upgrades which feature partial coverage of North America. So when I arrived in Florida three weeks ago and tried to set a Louisiana destination, I discovered that my Nuvi no longer recognized Florida. And, to make matters worse, I'd left my laptop behind, eliminating the option of updating my Nuvi (though as I now write this, I might have been able to buy a new map on a digital memory card ???) In any event, heading down the Florida turnpike, I spotted a Harley dealership, so I swung in & picked up a Zumo - it's definitely not for penny pinchers. I negotiated my price out the door down (including a free bonus gift) down to $600 U.S. As above, I wasn't able to do an immediate update of my new GPS and I also hadn't set up an account which would allow my Zumo to provide directions bypassing heavy traffic, but out of the box, it worked great as I logged 2500 miles to Mardi Gras and nearby attractions, and then back to Florida to attend Bike Week, from which I've just returned. I have not yet picked up a headset, but did test the blue tooth capabilities by pairing with my cell phone, and Zumo will pick up incoming calls flawlessly. A throat mike vendor I consulted in Daytona Beach explained that Zumo "likes to be the centre of the world" so if you're pairing multiple devices (gps, music, phone, headset), it will expect you to use it as the hub. I did not buy his system (I may do so later), so I haven't had a chance to test this myself.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-15-2014, 04:37 PM   #6

I've used Sygic maps (a Tom Tom based app) on my Android phone for years, and it's done very well. voice guidance Bluetooth to my Sena, lifetime maps, and a nice UI.

The only drawback is the small, glove unfriendly screen. I have to take my gloves off to change anything. Oh, and maybe the clunky way it has to search for an address? (Although I just added addresses to my contacts, and entered them directly from there).

So I just recently bought a Garmin non-motorcycle unit, and Ram mounted it to the bars with a made for that model mount.

It does everything I need, on a larger glove-friendly screen, and I can still design routes for it using "Tyre to travel" just like I could on the phone.

The only thing missing is the link to my Sena for voice guidance. That wasn't worth the price difference (and that and waterproofing was the only difference) to a bike specific model. I figure if I really need it - I can load the same route to my phone, and still get the voice guidance from there.

And if it ever rained while I was using my phone in it's handlebar mount - I just took it off. I think the day's I'll need navigation assistance in the rain will be hopefully few and far between? The Garmin's more likely to be mounted in the car on those sorts of days anyway.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Tags
garmin, gps, navigation, tomtom