Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #61
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Victory didn't make a XCT in 2011, you could however add a trunk to the XC, still a very different bike overall feature wise. I must say I am surprised that at 6'3" you felt cramped, most of the bigger guys lover the Vic for exactly that reason. I can hear the tunes just fine at 80+ mph and the sound was as good as my Kenwood KMR-440 with Polk 6.5's on the Nomad. If you're a true audiophile like any stock stereo you're going to be looking for more.
There are quite a few of those white and silver XCs out there with the matching top box. I've seen a few of them on the net for sale. It is a very nice looking bike.
VBA Member #02104
2013 HD 110th Anniversary Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #62

Quote:
Victory didn't make a XCT in 2011, you could however add a trunk to the XC, still a very different bike overall feature wise. I must say I am surprised that at 6'3" you felt cramped, most of the bigger guys lover the Vic for exactly that reason. I can hear the tunes just fine at 80+ mph and the sound was as good as my Kenwood KMR-440 with Polk 6.5's on the Nomad. If you're a true audiophile like any stock stereo you're going to be looking for more.
This is the one I was looking at I just assumed it was a XCT because of the way it's set up. the Bars on the 2013 don't come back far enough and make me set up to straight. the stereo just sounded poor sure it gets loud enough to hear but the bass and treble adjustment was almost non existent. When I brought these issues up to the reps and the dealers sales they basically had no answers to fix any of it. They Admitted that their stereo sound was poor and when I was sitting on it it looked to small in the leg area, and if I need more stretch room I need to go to the Vision. Im sure there is aftermarket parts and mod that can be done but for $20k you shouldn't have to. If I have to do that many changes off the bat I would just buy a stripped down version and build it up myself. It sounds like there may be new model coming out that has the handling of the vision with different lines in the near future. They really pushed the Vision as there best handling bike but know the looks are not for everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011 v ic.jpg (53.7 KB, 31 views)
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 06-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #63
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber63 View Post
This is the one I was looking at I just assumed it was a XCT because of the way it's set up. the Bars on the 2013 don't come back far enough and make me set up to straight. the stereo just sounded poor sure it gets loud enough to hear but the bass and treble adjustment was almost non existent. When I brought these issues up to the reps and the dealers sales they basically had no answers to fix any of it. They Admitted that their stereo sound was poor and when I was sitting on it it looked to small in the leg area, and if I need more stretch room I need to go to the Vision. Im sure there is aftermarket parts and mod that can be done but for $20k you shouldn't have to. If I have to do that many changes off the bat I would just buy a stripped down version and build it up myself. It sounds like there may be new model coming out that has the handling of the vision with different lines in the near future. They really pushed the Vision as there best handling bike but know the looks are not for everyone.
That is a XC with a top case added. It has way fewer bells and whistles than the XCT....maybe even the stereo is upgraded in the XCT...cant say for sure. The XCT comes with hard lowers and air wings on the bottom of the fairing to give you way better wind management, more leg room and fits most big guys pretty darn well. The windshield is also mounted differently on the XCT to help with airflow over the screen. The bottom of the XC screen fits snugly under the top of the fairing shell (four bolt mount), allowing wind to only pass over the top of it. The XCT shield sits off of the fairing just a bit (six bolt mount) allowing for better air flow both under and over it. They are very distinctly different bikes as far as creature comforts and ridability, but they do have the same 106ci powertrain. Take a closer look at the XCT next time you get a chance and you'll soon notice the differences. Vic offers bars that come back 2" further than stock, which helps most folks a ton. In my case, I bought a set that is completely adjustable...a really nice addition that allowed me to make them perfect for my short arms...!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Last edited by Netnorske; 06-13-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:33 PM   #64

I didn't see or ride the 2011 pictured, I rode a 2013 XCT. I was going to try a 2013 XC but they told me they were the same and I would have the same issues. I kinda felt they just figured they couldn't fit any their bikes to me so the just wrote me off.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 06-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #65
Top Contributor

Quote:
It sounds like there may be new model coming out that has the handling of the vision with different lines in the near future. They really pushed the Vision as there best handling bike but know the looks are not for everyone.
I wouldn't hold my breath for anything radically different this year unless it's a redesigned Vision. I think the Vision DOES handle a bit better than the X bikes (XR/XC/XCT).
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #66
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yep... that's the XC in the photo. I think it's the best looking color combination they have put together, but I am also partial to white. I thought last year's red and silver XC was nice looking as well. I wish they would do the XCT in two-tone without it having to be a anniversary model or something. I like the two-tone colors better than the solid color bikes. Were they asking $20,000 for the used 2011? That sounds pretty high to me.

They are having a demo day at the Victory dealership here in town on June 22, 2013. I am going to try to get up there and ride a XCT. I feel kind of guilty about going to this particular dealership to ride one as I know that even if I was in the market, I wouldn't buy a box of popcorn from them.

These are the same idiots that told me they would sell me a 2012 red and silver XC for $17,600 without a trade-in on my Nomad. If I wanted to trade my Nomad, they would give me $5000 for it and sell me the same XC for $21,000. If you run the numbers, that's the equivalent of giving me $1600 for my Nomad. Insane.
VBA Member #02104
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Old 06-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #67
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fammdw View Post

They are having a demo day at the Victory dealership here in town on June 22, 2013. I am going to try to get up there and ride a XCT. I feel kind of guilty about going to this particular dealership to ride one as I know that even if I was in the market, I wouldn't buy a box of popcorn from them.
If it makes you feel any better, the only thing the dealer has in a demo day is some money. (They pay Victory to bring the bikes and the rep.) They pay a flat fee so it won't cost them any more (or less) if you ride the XCT or every single one of the demo bikes over and over and over. If I had more time off of work, I'd go to every demo days I could and ride all the bikes for free. I wouldn't lose a seconds sleep over it. That's what the bikes are there for. Demo days are just a sales tool.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 06-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #68
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
If it makes you feel any better, the only thing the dealer has in a demo day is some money. (They pay Victory to bring the bikes and the rep.) They pay a flat fee so it won't cost them any more (or less) if you ride the XCT or every single one of the demo bikes over and over and over. If I had more time off of work, I'd go to every demo days I could and ride all the bikes for free. I wouldn't lose a seconds sleep over it. That's what the bikes are there for. Demo days are just a sales tool.
Okay... you put me in a better place. Going now for sure!
VBA Member #02104
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Old 06-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #69
Top Contributor

Quote:
Good choice. Even if you aren't in the market or wouldn't be caught dead on the best bike in the world (sorry...I mean "on a Victory" :) ), it's still fun to ride someone elses bike (or bikes) with someone elses gas. If Kawasaki, Honda, etc had the same thing, I'd go just for the hell of it. The worst that happens is you get a new idea for a mod or something else you either want or don't want on your next ride.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Last edited by Monkeyman; 06-13-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #70
Mega-Contributor

You can walk into most Harley dealers and test ride a bike.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
That is a XC with a top case added. It has way fewer bells and whistles than the XCT....maybe even the stereo is upgraded in the XCT...cant say for sure. The XCT comes with hard lowers and air wings on the bottom of the fairing to give you way better wind management, more leg room and fits most big guys pretty darn well. The windshield is also mounted differently on the XCT to help with airflow over the screen. The bottom of the XC screen fits snugly under the top of the fairing shell (four bolt mount), allowing wind to only pass over the top of it. The XCT shield sits off of the fairing just a bit (six bolt mount) allowing for better air flow both under and over it. They are very distinctly different bikes as far as creature comforts and ridability, but they do have the same 106ci powertrain. Take a closer look at the XCT next time you get a chance and you'll soon notice the differences. Vic offers bars that come back 2" further than stock, which helps most folks a ton. In my case, I bought a set that is completely adjustable...a really nice addition that allowed me to make them perfect for my short arms...!
+ ABS and adjustable passenger floorboards. I was out again today and was paying attention to the stereo and while I'll admit I'm no audophile I'm still happy. I do have the bass pretty much maxed though.

While the Victory has a ton more power than my Nomad overall, its' not as noticeable in city riding, where the bike really shines for me anyway is the 50-80+ mph roll on. Everytime I go to pass a string of cars by the time I reach the end I'm smiling.

At 6'3" especially if you're long in the legs no matter what you buy you're going to have to mod somewhat for comfort I believe.

As far as the VN2000 goes, my dealer loaned me one while dealing with a warranty issue on my Victory and while the power/torque was pretty cool and it handled decently, it quite possibly had the worst brakes of any modern bike I've ever ridden, not sure if it was that particular bike or if that's the norm for that bike.

Doug Engstrom
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI, (Sold at 83,000 km)

Old 06-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #72
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
You can walk into most Harley dealers and test ride a bike.
You are correct. My bad. I'll edit my other post.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 06-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #73

Quote:

Yeah don't feel bashful about taking test rides at Demo days for any brand. The dealers want good attendance for a few reasons.

1) The obvious, more customers to sell
2) Good attendance makes them look good w/factory
3) Lots of people can create a buying atmosphere. When people spend a bunch of money they always feel better if a bunch of other people are doing the same thing. Misery (spending money) loves company.

I try to make every brand demo day I can, even if it is a couple hundred miles away. A good excuse to get away, fun, and usually some food!
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 06-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #74
Top Contributor

Quote:
While the Victory has a ton more power than my Nomad overall, its' not as noticeable in city riding, where the bike really shines for me anyway is the 50-80+ mph roll on. Everytime I go to pass a string of cars by the time I reach the end I'm smiling.
That has been my exact experience as far as the power curve on the XCT. From a dead stop, the Nomad and Vic quite possibly would be neck and neck on a freeway onramp...but when your cruising along and need that passing power....BOOYAH....there it is.....!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016