Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #31

Degreaser, Thanks for the tips. Did you need a special socket to torque the steering head bolt? Could you feel that the steering head bolt was loose or was it how it was riding?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #32

tire choices

would you give this same recommendation for a 2001 Nomad FI ?? I'm going to be needing tires in the spring. Thanks for your input. Any advice on what I can expect with looking for someone to mount this CT on rear ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
Driving up your post count too! Huh? Waugh!

Around 28,000 miles you should check the cam chain tensioner too.

Besides this site you need to book mark this site and get familar with it too.
http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm

ringadingh has done a lot of work on Nomads... A lot of work but his k is clicks not miles since he lives in Canada. So you need to convert his clicks to miles unless you do clicks yourself.

IMO the best of the best tires you can put on a 02 Nomad are a Avon Cobra front tire in radial at the stock size for the 02, and a Dunlop SP 5000 195/60 R 16 car tire for the rear.......

That is the largest tire that can work on a up to 04 Nomad. After that the wheel rims change...

Old 11-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #33
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by erock1 View Post
would you give this same recommendation for a 2001 Nomad FI ?? I'm going to be needing tires in the spring. Thanks for your input. Any advice on what I can expect with looking for someone to mount this CT on rear ??
If it were mine...... The 01 is the same thru 04. I had a 01 once but somebody liked it better than i did. And that's why I have the 06.

IMO there just is no better ft tire than the Avon Cobra period. It may wear quicker than some Dunlops, but that just means good ft wheel traction.

Now the SP 5000 is what i ride on my 06. It is not the widest tire I could have on my 06, but it IS the widest tire I know that fits the 01-04 1500's.

This IS a car tire and there is no way I will ever own a Nomad anymore with out a car tire on the back

To me it is all around better than a mc tire on the back. it doesn't care as much about paint on the road, wire grate bridges, dirt, grass, wet grass, doesn't ping stones off into the woods, and puts more meaning in braking.

You can't lean a Nomad over far enough to get up on a side wall so that argument is just out...

Long before you can you would be on hard metal.

I personally like the slight extra pressure it takes to counter steer, and it ends up as more stable feel to me.

There should be a break in time allowed for the SP 5000, and then setting the tire psi in the low to mid 30 psi ringe. I run at 35psi 2 up and run my rear shocks at III and with 20 to 33 psi in the shocks.

I almost aways ride 2 up. That's about 300 pounds for the both of us and maybe another 30 pounds of junk.

In NH we need lots of junk. 2 pairs of gloves, rain gear warm gear swimming fear, guns, camera's and knives... optics and one can just neva' tell No more what this heya' clil might need

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Tags
1500 1600 nomad, 2002 vulcan, maintenance, reliability