Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #31

Okay, is it just because I am a female and tend to have a "soft sensitive side", or is there something to this......

I know the economy is tough for us all, so maybe I shouldn't ask anymore questions about extra options to add to my bike. I remember getting slammed for spending the $80-something on a kickstand, and now it feels the same about wanting a CB radio....

The Vaquero is my first brand new bike and I just want to make it comfortable for me, you all understand that, right?

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #32

It is your bike and you can put anything on it you want.
Don't pay any attention to the naysayers.
It has nothing to do with you being female, they do the same thing to male members.
When you come on here asking for advice you have to be selective on who you listen to. Listen to the advice you think is helpful and disregard the advice you deem worthless.
But keep asking.
I would have a CB on my bike if all the others I rode with had one. It would be cool to be able to talk with others on the ride.
Cindy and I use the Scala intercoms and talk quite a bit while riding.
Usually it is me asking her where the hell we are and how to get where we want to go.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Last edited by Top Cat; 09-05-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #33

Hang in there and keep asking questions. Some of the guys here have strong personal opinions on things. Don't take it personally. I hope you find what you're looking for at a good price.

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 09-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriann View Post
Okay, is it just because I am a female and tend to have a "soft sensitive side", or is there something to this......

I know the economy is tough for us all, so maybe I shouldn't ask anymore questions about extra options to add to my bike. I remember getting slammed for spending the $80-something on a kickstand, and now it feels the same about wanting a CB radio....

The Vaquero is my first brand new bike and I just want to make it comfortable for me, you all understand that, right?
Sorry, I am not trying to be a naysayer or negative in anyway about what one wants to do to their own bike. I would like to have a CB, but the price tag will keep me from buying one, especially for the limited use I could use it. I don't think I said anything negative toward you for wanting it....I apologize if you took it that way.

Now, find me a 1/2 price xm kit Bigdog..... and I may jump on it!

VBA #01898

Old 09-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #35

Quote:
...We talk about things we see on the ride, or about crazy drivers we are encountering, or ...
So do we and we enjoy our Scala G4 set on road trips. The set helped us get home safely when riding into the city after dark last weekend. We were separated but kept in touch via the G4 and regrouped nicely on the freeway again.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #36
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
So do we and we enjoy our Scala G4 set on road trips. The set helped us get home safely when riding into the city after dark last weekend. We were separated but kept in touch via the G4 and regrouped nicely on the freeway again.
They just came out with the G9.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 09-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #37

Quote:

Personally I'd go for the things that cost less, but I also want quality.

When it comes to what others buy or what they put on their bikes it is their money and choice. Stick to your choices Cheriann.
VBA #02089

Previous Bikes:
75 Yamaha 175
09 Vulcan 900 Classic
11 Vulcan Vaquero
Harleys:
75 Sportster XLCH
84 Sportster 1000
85 FXRT
79 Low Rider

Old 09-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #38
Mega-Contributor

Quote:

Don't take them too seriously, Cheriann. Different people have different priorities. Spend all you want on your bike.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Don't take them too seriously, Cheriann. Different people have different priorities. Spend all you want on your bike.
Exactly!!

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 09-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #40

Waving Radio Room?

Ok fellow riders, here goes my first post in the forum. As it happens this topic is right up my alley. I am a radio electronics technician and hobbyist to boot. Hopefully I may be able to contribute.

Firstly I am currently riding a 2010 VN900 Classic LT (The one with the whitewalls and pearl decals) though I think I am about to trade in in the next week or two. I'm going with the "Bigger is Better" theory. 2012 VAQUERO. My Options are Black, Black or Black here in Australia. (Thats all they Imported) I will be adding a taller screen and then will take a hard look at my options for radio-to-ride.

There are a couple of questions that I have not been able to answer in the manuals.
1. Is there much spare space in the dash and upper fairing for installing options?
2. The "CB Kit". Is it 27 Mhz CB or on some other band.

27Mhz is not the ideal band for use as bike to bike communications for several reasons. Firstly the antenna is larger and hardly and attractive addition to your ride. I believe in the US you will have CBRS which opperates on the UHF band. UHF will only require a smaller antenna that is easily consealed and still work for about 5 miles or so. The radio itself will often be smaller and more easy to carry.

There is also the point of safety that needs to be addressed. I would never consider riding my pride and joy while trying to talk on a hand held radio. What ever radio you choose, check and see if there is a speaker mic option. If it can do that then there will be very good chance you can buy or build a helmet system so you can talk with your friends without taking your attention away from the road ahead.

There are other options to consider too. What about bluetooth? That can be used to talk as a group with more than 2 bikes. There is also WiFi that has limitless applications including the web if needed.

Well thats enough for now. I have to get to sleep after just finishing night shift. Hello All. Goodnight.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post
Ok fellow riders, here goes my first post in the forum. As it happens this topic is right up my alley. I am a radio electronics technician and hobbyist to boot. Hopefully I may be able to contribute.

Firstly I am currently riding a 2010 VN900 Classic LT (The one with the whitewalls and pearl decals) though I think I am about to trade in in the next week or two. I'm going with the "Bigger is Better" theory. 2012 VAQUERO. My Options are Black, Black or Black here in Australia. (Thats all they Imported) I will be adding a taller screen and then will take a hard look at my options for radio-to-ride.

There are a couple of questions that I have not been able to answer in the manuals.
1. Is there much spare space in the dash and upper fairing for installing options?
2. The "CB Kit". Is it 27 Mhz CB or on some other band.

27Mhz is not the ideal band for use as bike to bike communications for several reasons. Firstly the antenna is larger and hardly and attractive addition to your ride. I believe in the US you will have CBRS which opperates on the UHF band. UHF will only require a smaller antenna that is easily consealed and still work for about 5 miles or so. The radio itself will often be smaller and more easy to carry.

There is also the point of safety that needs to be addressed. I would never consider riding my pride and joy while trying to talk on a hand held radio. What ever radio you choose, check and see if there is a speaker mic option. If it can do that then there will be very good chance you can buy or build a helmet system so you can talk with your friends without taking your attention away from the road ahead.

There are other options to consider too. What about bluetooth? That can be used to talk as a group with more than 2 bikes. There is also WiFi that has limitless applications including the web if needed.

Well thats enough for now. I have to get to sleep after just finishing night shift. Hello All. Goodnight.
Try reading the owners manual that ships with the bike if you can get your hands on it. In there they say the unit can be controlled from the handlebars and if you have the helmet system it has several neat automatic options for voice, music, cb controls. The space in the fairing is tight, but not impossible to work with. You might also look at the shop manual posted here;
http://www.vulcanbagger.org/pdf/2011...VaqueroHDS.pdf
it has some good pictures and if you do a search in the pdf there are several entries about cbs.
VBA #02089

Previous Bikes:
75 Yamaha 175
09 Vulcan 900 Classic
11 Vulcan Vaquero
Harleys:
75 Sportster XLCH
84 Sportster 1000
85 FXRT
79 Low Rider

Old 09-07-2012, 03:08 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouson View Post
Try reading the owners manual that ships with the bike if you can get your hands on it. In there they say the unit can be controlled from the handlebars and if you have the helmet system it has several neat automatic options for voice, music, cb controls. The space in the fairing is tight, but not impossible to work with. You might also look at the shop manual posted here;
http://www.vulcanbagger.org/pdf/2011...VaqueroHDS.pdf
it has some good pictures and if you do a search in the pdf there are several entries about cbs.
Thanks Bouson. Have spent some time in the manual already but the pictures are not very clear when it comes to locating potential install space. My own vaquero deal is just pending a ride so i should see for myself soon.

There was one interesting thing I did find from the shop manual. C-BUS Very handy if you know how to play with it. I have a bluetooth device connected to my car. By using an app on my phone I can see plenty of info relating to the engine and body. Temperatures, Pressures and Fault Codes. C-BUS will be the way you are able to control the genuine CB Kit also.

Hopefully I can trawl up a manual specific for the CB Kit. It should be helpful for using my own radios.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:28 AM   #43