Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #16
Sr. Contributor

New buyer looking for advice on used Nomad

I bought a 2001 1500 FI new and have loved every mile on it. Maintain it well and it will take care of you for a long time.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #17

The best advice??? Buy mine!
In all seriousness, Nomad's are great - good luck with your search. These guys have hit all the main points!

Old 03-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #18

Well I owned an 01 1500 FI and loved it., Got the bug for an 03 1800 Wing and sold it. In 08 I came to my senses and bought an 08 1600 Nomad. Very happy with it and not sure why I switched now that I am back on a Nomad.

You'll be very happy with one when you get it.

2011 Blue/Silver Voyager
2008 Blue/Silver Nomad (Gone)
2001 Red/Silver Nomad (Gone)

Old 04-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #19

I also read thru the many threads on this forum before purchasing my Nomad last year. My goal was a shaft drive 1600 with low miles and I got lucky finding one only a few hours ride away after a six month search. I have always loved the "hunt' for a new ride, kind of a sickness really, but not interested in getting cured only 'treating' the disease. Have been riding over forty years and the Nomad has stopped my wandering eye. Decide what you want and keep looking - it will show up.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #20
Advanced Member

I bought (ebay) a used '07 Nomad three years ago and it's been great.
It was all stock so I've spent a bit adding the extras I wanted.
Started with a luggage rack, highway pegs and risers.
Then went for a fuel processor, pipes and spot lights.
Also added a ram mount and power outlet for a GPS.
I've bought the air intake mod from Chuckster but haven't got the nerve to install it yet.

My advice, shop hard, I think it's a buyers market.

BTW: I think fuel injection is a must have, especially with ethanol in the gas now.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #21

only thing I've changed is the seat and the handlebars. would like a fuel processor though...

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 04-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #22

About replacing the seats, is that a common issue for long distance riding? I'm curious because almost every review I've read commented on how good the Nomand's was right out of the box. It wass one of the contributing factors for me choosing a Nomad. Is it a matter of personal preference? For those who have changed them, what is it about the stock seat you didn't like? What kind of rider are you, tall, short, big, small?

Thanks again for the great info. It's much appreciated.

Cheers!

Doc

Old 04-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #23

Old 04-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #24

5'6'' 180 lbs 30" inseam. Stock seat has more "hump" to it and was uncomfortable to me especially on longer rides. Had a Mustang on previous bike and was partial. Also partial to picking up used seat at lower price. Someone had upgraded to a Mustang with backrest... anyway... Mustang is flatter and I sit back in the pocket more and lower than stock. Also firmer and surprisingly more comfortable for me especially on long trips. I use a beaded pad in the summer for air circulation and nix in the winter. I sit slightly lower than stock and ride with sneakers most of the time and can put my feet flat.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #25
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by docv
While many of the two-tone colors are certainly eye catching, I must admit, I do like something about the classic look of black. I'd even thought about an old-school custom paint job at some point, with black base, cream-yellow scallops and a red pin-stripe. But that'll have to wait til much later. Besides, when buying used, the choices are few and I don't know if I could hold out that long, waiting for the *perfect* one. I suppose I'll have to leave it up to the fates to decide wether or not I get the *exact* one I want or not.

About replacing the seats, is that a common issue for long distance riding? I'm curious because almost every review I've read commented on how good the Nomand's was right out of the box. It wass one of the contributing factors for me choosing a Nomad. Is it a matter of personal preference? For those who have changed them, what is it about the stock seat you didn't like? What kind of rider are you, tall, short, big, small?

Cheers!

Doc
Doc,
Many if not most Nomad owners have an issue with the stock seat. There are a few lucky ones here that are comfortable on the stocker, but most of the long-haul riders have purchased aftermarket seats. Mustang, Corbin, Ultimate, Russell Day-Long to mention a few, with the latter being the most expensive. I would guess the Mustang would garner a large percentage of our group, but seats are a very personal thing. The one that don't hurt your ass is the best one for you... ;). Personally, I have a Mustang with the driver backrest and it works much better for me than the stock seat did. Cross your fingers in the seat department!

You might do well to purchase a bike that already has an aftermarket seat. That alone will save you a LOT of money from having to buy one yourself. A new Mustang with backrest runs about $550.00 or so....and personally speaking, I would not have a seat without a backrest. Look around as many used bikes already have seats upgraded by the previous owner. Good luck... .
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #26

We have ridden 650 miles, 2-up on the stock seat of the 99. We routinely ride 350 to 400 miles during a trip. As the foam in the seat ages it becomes less comfortable. We are having the stock seat on the 03 re-worked with a dense foam base and overlaid with thinner foam. We put a live load on the bike of approximately 370 lbs; I account for most the load. While I'm not massive, (6' w/ 30 inseam) I' m pretty dense.......at least that is what I've been told. Kris is right that the seat is a personal thing and it is hard to tell how well it fits you until you use the seat for a day.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 04-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #27
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docv

Cheers!

Doc
My wife and I were on a three day ride last spring. On the second day we rode for over 14 hours with breaks for fuel and food of course.

The moto seat was just fine for us. I did wear compression shorts under my jeans which helped also.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #28
Sr. Contributor

I like the stock seat, ten years now. Longest ride was 4 days 1720 miles. It helps to straighten out your under wear at every fuel stop. Our butts are all different, so try different seats at a rally if you can.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 04-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #29
Top Contributor

Docv,

As everyone has stated, seats are a personal subject. I still have the stock seat but made a beaded cover. A good change of pace to change from stock to beaded cover. It also works well when it is very warm to hot keeping some air flow under your rear.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16