Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 02-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #16

Hawk Helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
I was at a helmet store in Gilbert (Helmet Harbor) and I asked the owner about that, since I had dropped one of my helmets. He said it used to be true for fiberglass helmets, but polycarbonate helmets are much more durable.
That makes a lot more since!
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #17
Advanced Member

Hawk Helmets

I have a hawk modular full face with the dual visors. I only wear it in cold wet weather but it does the job it is designed to do. The inside visor remains up as it should and stays down when placed in that position. I agree with the comment that what really matters is the fit and comfort of the helmet. I did find this helmet after wearing it for a couple of hours started pressing in on my jaw. In the off season (which is a long time iin Alberta) I stored the helmet for the winter with a pillow jammed in between the jaw spacing. Next season no more pinching. If I have to waer a full face I love the functionality of a modular helmet. And Jared is correct, there is never a snell rating for modular helmets. Good luck with the new helmet, I'm sure you will love it.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #18

Hawk Helmets

psychocyle, Thanks for the post, you are the first person I've run across that has even heard of them much less own one. It makes me feel a little better knowing that my wife and I wouldn't be the only ones out there with this brand. I will be buying them hopefully next weekend (had to wait for our sizes to be ordered), unless I come across ones I like better between now and then. Anyway again, thanks to everyone for your input...

Old 02-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #19

Hawk Helmets

I believe many M/C helmets are cushioned with polystyrene foam while football helmets have inflatable air bladders. The polystyrene foam shrinks with age; just watch your beer cooler.

I just bought the Missus a new HJC IS-33 with the integral sun shield. The sun shield can be set in three positions. It has helped to elevate her ear and jaw pain when compared to other helmets. It is all about the fit; cost is secondary.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 02-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #20

Hawk Helmets

The way I drop helmets off the bike seat, and other spots, Id be buying a new helmet a couple times a season. My full face is thirty years old so far and I still use it in the cold weather.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #21
Advanced Member

Hawk Helmets

I'm about to buy a new helmet and it has that Integrated Sun Visor in it, too. I'd like to change it out and put in either 'clear', for riding at night so I don't have to lug around a fair of clear shades on top of my sun glasses, but I also see I can buy the 'amber' visor for the helmet also.

Just wondering, has / is anyone using the amber visor or even amber sunglasses? I never have, read that it gives you better depth perception. How are they on a sunny days versus sun glasses or dark visor, and are they something you could wear at night and still see as clearly as clear ones?

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 02-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #22
Mega-Contributor

Hawk Helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham
I'm about to buy a new helmet and it has that Integrated Sun Visor in it, too. I'd like to change it out and put in either 'clear', for riding at night so I don't have to lug around a fair of clear shades on top of my sun glasses, but I also see I can buy the 'amber' visor for the helmet also.

Just wondering, has / is anyone using the amber visor or even amber sunglasses? I never have, read that it gives you better depth perception. How are they on a sunny days versus sun glasses or dark visor, and are they something you could wear at night and still see as clearly as clear ones?
I have a modular full face helmet with an internal sun visor. My outer visor is tinted also. I can see just fine at night with the inner visor up and the front visor down. I use both during the day.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-16-2011, 03:19 AM   #23
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Hawk Helmets

This is the first I've heard of Hawk helmets.
I have tried a lot of different makes, and have a terrible time finding one that feels comfortable after more than a couple of hours. Maybe even just one hour. We all have different shaped noggins. Mine is longer frt. to back than it is from side to side. So the head isn't exactly round. The best fit for me is in a Z1R. I bought a full face and a half helmet in South Dakota at the rally a couple of yrs. ago. After my "mishap" this last fall my helmet kissed the ground. I have always been told that when this happens get a new helmet. The insurance company never says no. It's just a given you get a new helmet. So I ordered a new Z1R half helmet from DiscountRider.com

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 02-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #24

Hawk Helmets

Quote:

Bear in mind the following is for "50" something eyes:
I have amber goggles that I occasionally use on cloudy days. I have found that amber allows too much light on bright sunny days for me. I have light yellow goggles that cut the glare from headlights at night better for me. Typically I use a clear shield on my FF for the slab in the dark and add sunglasses in the daylight. Off the slab I use dark goggles in bright sunlight and photocromatic glasses when the light is low. I rarely use the yellow or amber lenses.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 02-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #25
Advanced Member

Hawk Helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndbigfish
Quote:

Bear in mind the following is for "50" something eyes:
I have amber goggles that I occasionally use on cloudy days. I have found that amber allows too much light on bright sunny days for me. I have light yellow goggles that cut the glare from headlights at night better for me. Typically I use a clear shield on my FF for the slab in the dark and add sunglasses in the daylight. Off the slab I use dark goggles in bright sunlight and photocromatic glasses when the light is low. I rarely use the yellow or amber lenses.
That is a good point. Like a lot of things, your eye's are different for each rider and conditions. The best advice, if your going to try a pair of amber night driving glasses to try them in the store, look up into the bright store lights and see if you wince with them looking into that light, if they do the same may happen for on coming lights from cars etc at night, which is what they really are meant to help with. If you buy a pair, try them while driving your car first. As you can easily take them off while driving if find they are irritating you more then helping safely, not so while riding down the road on the bike

Also this all depends on your NIGHT vision (you eye doctor can do tests that help determine your light sensitivity). Some see certain spectrum of light better and some have some night blindness which means that any thing that filters light maybe good or bad depending on your situation. Obviously you want protection even if you have a windshield, so the LEAST obtrusive is CLEAR lens, either in a full face shield or a half with the drop down shield. Clear riding glasses are available and on an open face is the next option.

I'd suggest if you have not had your eye's tested in the past couple of years to do this, and have them tell you if you have any ocular issues such as I said above, before spending a lot on different glasses etc.

Hope any of that makes sense, but truly, everyone is different, and see's differently. Just ask 5 people at an accident what happened....

Scott

Old 02-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #26

Hawk Helmets

Here a video clip from Jay Leno's garage talking about helmets, pretty much an Arai commercial but still alot of good info.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras.../arai-helmets/

Old 02-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #27
Advanced Member

Hawk Helmets

I've never been a big fan of HJC helmets, but I just tried one on last weekend in a store, a half helmet. I've never found a half helmet that I liked, cause they always sit on top of my big, fat head like a 'beanie'. Tried one this weekend that I'm looking at, it is a HJC IS-2. Just fits lower and nicer, and has the little integrated visor you can pull down.

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 02-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #28
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Hawk Helmets

Quote:
I've never been a big fan of HJC helmets, but I just tried one on last weekend in a store, a half helmet. I've never found a half helmet that I liked, cause they always sit on top of my big, fat head like a 'beanie'. Tried one this weekend that I'm looking at, it is a HJC IS-2. Just fits lower and nicer, and has the little integrated visor you can pull down.
I was never able to find a HJC that would do that.
{fits lower and nicer}. I did though with the Z1R.
The visor is a nice touch with the HJC too.
Like I said earlier, I ordered another Z1R to replace the one from my fall,.....and looking in a J.P Cycles cat. I noticed there is an attachable short, eye visor available for these helmets. I think I'm going to order and try one of those out.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png