Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to namvet
Black Hills Rally 2008

Made it back from Bike Week. We did just over 2800 miles from Fort Wayne, IN to Custer SD and back. We left July 30th and had to meet some other folks in Worthington MN on the 31st. So we had about 700 miles, but had two days for the ride, so we stayed on back roads, letting the ZUMO direct us. No rain and good weather that first day, spending that first night in Galena, Ill. The next day we hit hard rain and cross winds in Iowa and had to pull off into a gas station to wait out the storm. Once it passed we then took off for Worthington, MN, checked into the motel and waited for the other crew of four riders to show, all from Elkhart, IN and all at least 25 years our Junior. They arrived a few hours later, but they were towing their bikes on a trailer. Seems they got cold feet at the last minute, this being their first trip and all. They said they would be up to leave and ride at 6AM, well at 6:30 AM they were still sleeping, so my pard and I fired the bikes up and pulled out onto the road, I saw one guy looking out the window from his curtain as we pulled out...lol
Got into Custer that evening and went to the KOA to set up camp.
Keep in mind that the last camping we did was a good twenty years ago. That first night told us both that camping and sleeping on the ground was not something two AARP members wanted to do. We then found a motel in Custer for only $77.00 per night and checked in for the rest of our stay there. The other crew was staying at the Super 8 in Hill City and were paying $180.00 per night, so all in all we old guys did pretty good. Spent the rest of the time driving around, checking things out and spent a lot of time in the State Park and badlands area. I have tried to post pixs here thru photo bucket, so I hope everything works.

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k.../Sturgis%2008/

Login or Register to Remove Ads