Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to MrMoose Send a message via MSN to MrMoose
VN1500 Nomad transmission noise

Hello all!

Introducing myself here and making a request for help. I am looking forward to picking your brains and maybe making a contribution or two where I can. Have always enjoyed forums for all of my vehicles, really good info and camaraderie.

Since I got the Nomad a few months ago I noticed an annoying noise when the bike was rolling, it is like what a speedometer cable sounds like when it is going bad. It continues to make the sound when coasting down a hill in neutral with the engine off, also pulling the clutch makes no difference. The other day the noise got considerably worse adding a clunking element. I was hoping that it was a bad universal in the driveshaft, but it isn't. The noise seems to be coming from the transmission. I pulled the clutch cover to see if anything was wonky in there but it all looks good. The sound seems to be originating from just behind the rear cylinder.

If anyone can watch a video that I posted on YouTube and identify the noise for me (or at least make a suggestion) I would be exceedingly grateful. I am pretty mechanically inclined having worked on cars and bikes for 40 years, but I am new to this bike and could use a hand diagnosing the problem.

In the video I am turning the rear wheel with the bike up on a lift.

Here is the link to the video:

Thanks! Steve

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by MrMoose; 07-10-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Tags
noise, nomad, transmission, vn1500