Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > Archived > NorthCentral Rally - June 8, 2012

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4bob View Post
1 week to go... can't wait!

I was hoping my buddy and my "guest" (Toby) could roll into Savanna in time to head over to the museum with the group doing so, but think we will be a couple hours behind for that... and don't want to be late for the 6:00 meet / greet at Poopys.

So, anyone want to recommend any local shorter routes we could take assuming we have time to kill once we get into the area?

Like Jendesigner suggested... look at the brochure for ideas around Savanna.

Stop and get an Illinois road-map when there. You can get one at the gas-station just down the hill from the Super 8 base-hotel.

If I were you, I would ride up along the river stopping first at the Mississippi Palisades Park to go up to the lookout platform. It is a nice view. Just follow the signs once in the park. (Bald-eagles are often seen from there year-round.)

After that head-on up along the river until you get to US-20 (turn left) and head into Galena. It is an interesting little town locked in time back in the late 1800's. (The ride getting there is nice.) Walk along the streets and pop in to a few of the stores. There are restaurants there as well -- my favorite is the Italian restaurant, Vinnie Venucci's.

President Grant's (General Grant) home is still there in Galena with original furniture and belongings of the Grant's. Nice tour and worth it to me to see.

On your way back... head back out on US-20 East (opposite way you came in)... go through the small town of Elizabeth. Just after Elizabeth look for Derinda Road and turn Right (you can only turn right). Follow this road all the way back to Savanna. (It turns into Scenic Ridge Road without you having to turn... just stay on the road.)

That road is one of my "all-time-favorite" roads to ride on. Great scenery, nice pavement, great sweeping turns up and down the hills and valleys... with a few tighter "twisty" sections as you get closer to Savanna. Again... that road is worth riding even if you don't do anything else.

If you do all that you'll have spent most of the day, depending on how much time you actually spend in Galena. If you only ride through Galena without stopping, the entire ride will only take a few hours.

Be sure to get gas in Savanna before leaving... because you can only get gas there, in Galena, and in Elizabeth. So time your gas with that in mind.

Send me a PM if you need more ideas based on how much time you'll have to ride the area.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417