Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #1

"Dropped" my new Vaquero...

best news is zero damage, except just a little to the ego. I wasn't going to post this just out of sheer embarrassment, but what the heck, I can handle it LOL

Went out for what ended up being the last ride of the year on Black Friday, had close to 60 here which is not normal for late November.

I pulled into a friends driveway to show off the bike. I was slowing basically to a stop to turn around, so I could then turn other way and backup to point back out of drive. Well, the front wheel hit leaf pile (narrow and not very deep, just didn't think it an issue until I hit it) that was wet underneath, and wheel slide out, as did my left foot when it tried to stop the fall... because it landed in the same narrow leaf "pile".

So it always happens so fast you know, but I remember thinking "wow it didn’t lean over very far and I hope I can lift it back up". Just assumed it was heading on its side, but those darn crash bars really work thank goodness! The bike is still running, in gear, when I replant left foot and heave ho using foot and arm to lift while holding in clutch. Came right up. get off and can't even tell where the bar hit the ground as it hit that darn leaf pile and had a soft landing I guess. Again, was barely moving, so don't even think it "skidded", just leaned against it.

Never dropped a bike ever before, had to wait to buy a brand new one that cost as much as my first new car to do it LOL. Was a bit upsetting but very glad could find no damage.... Oh, and it didn't help to have my son who was right behind me, and my buddy on his new Victory Cross Country witness the whole thing.... and my buddy wasn't even home!

VBA #01898

Login or Register to Remove Ads