Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > New Member Introductions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2010, 07:42 PM   #1

New member from Topeka, KS

Hello to everyone. I've already received some good advice on the forums.

I'm 59 1/2 years old. Raced Penton dirt bikes back in the mid-70's to early 80's. Mostly enduro and hare scrambles but some motocross. Liked the cross country stuff a lot more tho! Finally got too expensive to be competitive -- especially when I finally found time to have a girlfriend.

Bought a 550 Suzuki in '82 when I quit racing and did some cross-country touring with it before I got married and received proper "training" in being a family man (meaning sold the bike!).

Been working on mama for three years now to get a touring bike since the kids are grown up (still got one in college tho). Finally in Feb the local dealer got in a 2007 1600 Nomad on trade that I just couldn't pass up. He let me have it for less than stock retail with a tour pak installed, V&H baggers, brakeaway throttle lock, bag liners, drivers backrest, windshield bag, cb antenna, and probably some stuff I haven't found yet. Titanium/black is what I think the color scheme is. (someday I'll get a digital camera picture I can display!).

So I went to the credit union, got the loan, bought the bike, and then told mama -- she's still pissed but I got the bike!!!!! Can't get her on it but that's ok. I don't mind doing solo!

Right now it's $25-ing me to death. $25 for Caddmann air cleaner, $25 for gloves, $25 for external breather filter, $25 (actually $35) for speedo visor, $25 for rain gaiters, and on and on ........

Can't wait to spend $700 for Day-long seats, $400 for new Pirelli tires, and $85 for hand deflectors!!!! Almost worse than having a new baby at home!!!!

Been trying to see if I can work out getting down to Eureka Springs in June -- still working on that. Might be able to ride down Friday and come back late Sat -- just have to see. Haven't done any night riding yet (lights need to be aimed *badly*, including the aux lights I added) but hopefully by June I'll have some under my belt.

I've put 1300 cold weather miles on it already. Just starting to get the seat broke into my butt.

Anyway, it's great to see all the nice looking bike pictures on here! Good to be here!

Login or Register to Remove Ads