Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to bokobob
Is there a "best" way?

Ok, I admit I am somewhat rattled, but not by any means ready to stop riding...Riding is dangerous, I know..

I refer to the commonly observed things like oncoming motorists turning left in front of a motorcycle rider, or motorists stopped at side roads suddenly coming out onto a road in front of a motorcyclist..

I am seeking advice on how to "best" cope with these biggies..

Yes, I know I am to consider myself invisible.

I wear a size 4X kawa green tshirt as my outermost garment, winter and summer....

I have a white helmet..

on my Kawa, I have a light bar with brilliant lights at each end...

One thing I have done I have now been cautioned about, by MistressK on another thread...namely, I blink my brights up and down three times or so when I approach someone wating to turn left across my lane or waiting at a side street to pull out....she got my attention big time when she said that in Canada that is a signal to the other driver to "go ahead" so to speak, just the opposite of what I intend to do..

I do downshift when approaching an intersection, and cover the brake with my hand and have my foot at the ready to acutate the foot brake...I might slow down from 45 to 35 in such a maneuver...I note that many riders sail right through an intersection on a green light without appearing to so much as look to the side...

What do you do? what do you suggest?

Thank you.

Login or Register to Remove Ads