Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Combustion experts: You got some 'splainin' to do

Ordered my Techlusion TFI plug and play last night. I chose it for 2 reasons: price AND I like the analogy of adjusting the pots in a manner resembling fine-tuning a carb's jets. This Nomad is my first FI. If you saw my initial posts, I'm less than enthusiastic about the Nomad's gas tank ("How much gas is usable?") and that cryptic digital gauge ("When is it REALLY empty?")

The 'splainin' part: I'm averaging 40mpg. With fuel management, I should expect a drop in mpg because I will be running less lean. I accept that because the experts say it is so.

However, I thought that the purpose of richening the mixture was to create a better explosion. With a better explosion, shouldn't the piston be slammed downward a bit harder, thereby causing me, ultimately, to roll a little farther for each downstroke? Shouldn't the use of the extra fuel be offset by the extra distance gained? If not, what's the purpose of a better explosion, then?

Now remember--I'm a lay person. Feel free to talk down to me, draw circles in the sand, use hand puppets, etc. Just 'splain real slow and good.

Login or Register to Remove Ads