Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Bad day

Yesterday started out like any other day. After having surgery 2 weeks ago for my hiatal hernia and recovering from that (that's another story) it was time to go back to work. Of course, since I didn't have enough vacation time, I went on FMLA. Wouldn't you know that this means my computer access is suspended until my manager sends IT an email. Now, she knew I was coming back the day before. Wouldn't it make sense to have everything ready? No, not this manager. After logging in I was promptly booted out. It wasn't until noon today that my access returned. But that wasn't what caused my bad day.

Yesterday, my youngest boy called and told me to sit down. Our pitbull terrier killed our wire-haired terrier/dachshund mix. He told me he saw guts and part of the throat pulled out and blood everywhere. I was devastated. This was our first dog as a family and she was the queen b. Not bee, B. Give it a sec, you'll figure it out. Now, Christmas Eve, this same dog attacked and mauled our Shepherd/Beagle mix and that dog died on the 26th. We kept her after this, thinking we could train her and then get her fixed so she wouldn't be quite so aggressive. Before you ask, we didn't get her fixed in time.

Here is the part that eats us all to our core. We never saw it coming. My son left for school and saw that both dogs were sleeping on the sofa like they always do. That morning before I left for work they were sleeping and everything was cool. I can only guess that when the guy came and mowed the front lawn that it upset the pit and when the terrier tried to get involved, the pit snapped. All I know is that the pit was a very loving, very sweet, lovable, goofy big baby and I hurt deeply because I knew this was the last straw and had the local shelter put her to sleep. I couldn't take the chance that she would attack our two dachshunds, even though they are male. The wild part is that none of us can be mad at the pit because we never saw this side of her. All we ever saw was the loving side.

It is a very sad time in the SWB household. My wife and I spent time trying to talk about our sweet dogs, but she ended up crying and I could only hold her as the tears came to my eyes. I've also realized how much you use your stomach muscles when you have to breathe deeply to keep from crying over a dog.

Now, I don't want anyone coming here talking about how evil pitbulls are or telling stories of how they attacked and hurt others. I didn't share this with you for that. It helps to be able to release the hurt so I and my family can move forward.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Login or Register to Remove Ads