Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 04-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #1

Biker killed by lightning!

LAWRENCE, Kan. — A 45-year-old Lawrence man was killed when he was hit by lightning as he was riding his motorcycle as storms swept through northeast Kansas.

Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Herrig says the man was with six other motorcyclists who are members of the Bikers Against Child Abuse group. He was hit by lightning about 5 p.m. Saturday on U.S. 24 between Perry and Granville.

A man riding next to the victim was treated and released at a Topeka hospital. The other five members of the group were not injured.

Herrig says the motorcyclists were returning home after visiting some children they had helped in the past in their work against child abuse. He calls the man's death a "tragic, sad thing."

This is the first time I have heard of this happening. With our upcoming trips we should all take heed and be extra careful. Liz and I have ridden in storms that we should not have been out in but usually it was because of poor vision or road conditions.

I have been watching the weather reports with a close eye as we plan to head south Saturday. Rain is predicted for the next 10 days all through the areas we have planned to ride in. I guess it is a good thing I got those new rain pants.

Login or Register to Remove Ads