Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 11-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #1

Loud Pipes Save Lives???

I know this is normally the place for funny stuff, but sometimes... (just sometimes) I'm a bit more serious. I'm ALWAYS ornery, but that's different. I wrote this a bit ago, in response to a thread (elsewhere) where people were ranting and raving about loud pipes, to both extremes, and I just wanted to bring out a different point of view... it doesn't seem to be such an issue here, nor do I want to make it one, but I thought I'd share the post, and the cause.

---------------------------

Over the years, in threads and roadside discussions too numerous to track with any hope of accuracy, one statement can instantly polarize a group. From silent glares to shouted words, and a wide gambit of responses in between, people dig their trenches right in the middle of their beliefs and refuse to waver, even slightly, despite any facts, studies, examples or experiences. It inspires cries of freedom and demands for regulation...

One statement: Loud pipes save lives.

Whether you agree or disagree, there is a wealth of material available to you to support your stance, but if you will... please allow me a moment to present a story of some substance for you to consider.

Little by little, they arrive. One bike here, three bikes there. Another two. Four more. A score. The group slowly assembles, both men and women, from different cities, different neighborhoods, different vocations, different backgrounds. One purpose. Recreational riding is the furthest thought from their mind; today brings a need for response on a very serious matter.

Brothers and sisters, they gather together. Beards and leather, boots and chrome, they stand united, trading hugs and small talk until the order comes… Time to ride. The ground trembles as dozens of shining steeds rumble to life. People nearby stop and stare as the ominous sound penetrates their personal bubbles, and even those who are blocks away stop and look toward the sound. They, who were many, now ride as one.

Some distance away, a quiet, unsuspecting neighborhood seems the picture of tranquility. The sun is shining, birds are singing, and the laughs of playing children fill the air, yet most of those living there have no idea, not a clue, that their kingdom will soon be invaded. One child knows. He doesn’t play like the other children, but rather sits on his steps, casting nervous glances over his shoulder at every little noise. Most days, he’d rather sit inside and hide in his room, but today he’s found the courage to venture out and wait. You see… today is the day. He knows they’re coming. They’re coming for him.

Off in the distance, things begin to change. The stillness of the morning disintegrates. Starting as nothing more than a quiet growl, barely on the edge of hearing, a growing roar soon conquers every other sound. All down the street, doors open. Dishes and lawnmowers have been forgotten. Televisions and cell phones no longer hold attention. Everyone stops to see the cause of this commotion. One child stands, squaring his shoulders, encouraged by the smile and nod from his mother.

His eyes grow wide as he spots them. Motorcycles. They fill the street as they come, rattling windows as they pass by each home, and slowly, they surround his yard. Red, White, and Black patches adorn the back of each rider, a clenched fist with a skull on one knuckle, and the initials B. A. C. A. across the fingers. Each rider dismounts and slowly begins to gather around him. Sinking to one knee, so he can look them in the eye, they settle in as their leader demands his attention and speaks… “We came. Just for you.”

One by one, gifts are shared, and tears spring to eyes across the group as a young man accepts every one. Then, the time arrives for the final presentation. From the depths of a bag full of goodies comes a vest, just his size. His roadname is sewn on the front, and on the back, a patch that proclaims his new affiliation. Placing it on his shoulders, the leader's gruff voice begins to crack as he says, “You are now a part of our family. You no longer have to be afraid.”

Many more things occur that day, including a ride for their newly adopted brother. The roar comes and goes, but the smile on his face never wavers. And when all is said and done, they mount up as one and ride back the way they came. Loud pipes declaring their passage to one and all, all who witness know that this child is now protected by Bikers Against Child Abuse.

The bikers will return to this neighborhood; a few times, maybe more, but the important thing is this: One more child, once a frightened young man, will return to his life… as a child. And for the rest of his life, the rumble of a loud set of pipes may cause him to smile, and stand proud, even on the darkest of days.

No matter how you choose to ride, please don’t regulate my freedom/ability to announce my mission or make a child smile.

www.bacaworld.org - because the war has not yet been won

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Candy Fire Red/Metallic Diablo Black
B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter
VBA #02190

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #2

Spin it however you want, loud pipes serve no other purpose than to piss off the general public,period
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Spin it however you want, loud pipes serve no other purpose than to piss off the general public,period
Uhhh... I think you missed the point, but while we're on the subject: I've yet to meet anyone in the "general public" that has said anything other than "Nice bike! Sounds good!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
it doesn't seem to be such an issue here, nor do I want to make it one, but I thought I'd share the post, and the cause.
...as a refresher.

VBA #02190

Last edited by Pretzel; 11-08-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #4

I understand the cause. I applaud the members of BACA
I don't understand why they need loud pipes to further the cause.
I'm not going to argue the point of loud pipes with you. Everyone on this forum knows how I feel on the subject.
This is my last post on this thread.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Oh no...you just had to kick this dead horse, didn't you? Now TC will get all lathered up...
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Oh no...you just had to kick this dead horse, didn't you? Now TC will get all lathered up...
Yep! he just spit his bit out!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 11-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #8

While my pipes aren't obscenely loud, they do have some bark. Blipping the throttle (quicker then hitting the horn) has saved me more then once from a "close encounter".

As for the OP's post, kids get a rush from a biker with a bad to the bone ride (loud, flashy, and generally mean as all get out) who gives them props. Seen it too many times...............

Old 11-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Pretzel great read, thanks for sharing.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #10

Anyone who thinks the general public does not mind load pipes, think again.
The following is what happened near my area. The local snowmobile club could not control the noise from after market equipped machines passing by on this trail.
The piss off is most of the culprits were out of town people who would trailer their machines in for the weekend. No skin off their noses or lesson learned, they have now just moved on to other areas. This trail is for ever more closed to everyone and causes a 3+ hour detour for us local enthusiasts.
It may take time, but if the locals get fed up this could happen to a favorite bike road near you. http://www.fasken.com/files/Publicat...C3%2589BEC.pdf

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 11-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Anyone who thinks the general public does not mind load pipes, think again.
The following is what happened near my area. The local snowmobile club could not control the noise from after market equipped machines passing by on this trail.
The piss off is most of the culprits were out of town people who would trailer their machines in for the weekend. No skin off their noses or lesson learned, they have now just moved on to other areas. This trail is for ever more closed to everyone and causes a 3+ hour detour for us local enthusiasts.
It may take time, but if the locals get fed up this could happen to a favorite bike road near you. http://www.fasken.com/files/Publicat...C3%2589BEC.pdf

I could be related to one of the lawyers.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
I could be related to one of the lawyers.
Naw, they are aggressive sharks, I think of you more as a layed back tuna.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 11-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Naw, they are aggressive sharks, I think of you more as a layed back tuna.
I wasn't always laying out in the sun, sucking oxygen. Then I had flash bulb go off.
What the hell am I doing? I could be collecting benefits and laying around
doing drugs and getting tattoos! The rest as they say, is history...

As a responsible motorcyclists I appreciate a nice rumble of a bike. I do not like the straight
pipes pounding everyones eardrums.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #14

Quote:

As a responsible motorcyclists I appreciate a nice rumble of a bike. I do not like the straight pipes pounding everyones eardrums.
Good read Pretzel! Thanks for sharing!

Ditto Loafer! I don't like the obnoxious either & do try to be respectful of others around me. But I do love to hear that rumble! And, on more than one occasion a blip of my V&H has grabbed the attention of a cell phone using cager & saved my butt. Do loud pipes always save lives? Hell no! CPR doesn't always work either but sometimes it does. I'll take sometimes!

VBA #01922

Last edited by Pitchinguy; 11-09-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Pretzel great read, thanks for sharing.
Thanks for seeing it in its intended light!

VBA #02190