Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-31-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Turbulence

Before I purchased my Nomad, I read a lot about rider head turbulence at higher speeds due to the wind coming under the windshield. It was loudly suggested that larger lowers would reduce that.

I purchased a set of the Edmonds lowers and it DID reduce the amount of turbulence at high speeds, but not to the degree I had hoped or expected.

About that same time, I also purchased a one-piece engine guard chap from Airlite. It was still mid-summer here, so my plan was to wait until the weather turned cooler to put it on, then take it off again next summer.

I put it on today before the wife and I did a 150 mile tour simply because morning temps were a tad chilly and I wanted to check it out.

Almost by accident what I discovered is that the combination of the larger lowers AND the one-piece engine guard chap reduced my high-speed turbulence to almost nothing!

Usually at around 70 mph my sunglasses start to shimmy around just a bit. For this reason I usually will wear goggles for a long highway run. I was amazed that I could run up to about 90 mph (fast as I dared go at the time) and my shades stayed smooth as a baby's butt.

My original plan was to take the engine guard chap on and off with the seasons. Although my gas mileage might take a hit...given the immense improvement in the ride, I think that thing is on to stay!

Just thought I would share...

VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads