Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #1

The "Ultimate" V&H baffle (w/drawing)

Don't know if this is the "Ultimate V&H baffle" mod, but it sure sounds good!!

One day, VulcanE (Cliff) and I were discussing all the different mods we have tried to improve the sound of V&H pipes.

Here's kind of a summary of what we tried.

Removed the stock baffles entirely, why too loud and lost torque.
Removed the stock baffle packing, better but not what we were hoping for.
Removed the stock packing and wrapped the baffle with aluminum flashing, much better but, to me, had a tinny sound.
Cut the baffles and removed approx 3" and reattached flashing...louder and lower sound but still tinny.
Removed the flashing and reinstalled "half" the baffle leaving straight tube except for rear end.....now we're getting close. Sound improved, but put too much stress on attachment point and baffle flange mounting cracked, welded and cracked again.

So, "we" thought about machining a "new" stronger solid baffle, retaining same output size tapered hole and beefy enough that it would not crack.

Then Cliff, being a machinist by trade, took it a step further and added a cross pin which some aftermarket exhaust mfgs (Kury for one) use. This pin, supposedly, lowers the sound and improves backpressure.

I came up with a 4"x4" piece of aluminum from another machinist friend which Cliff thought would be enough material to make two sets. Turn out he needed more materail to do it right.....and if you know Cliff, right is the only why he does things.
So he made my set out of the piece of aluminum, each baffle being approx 2" thick and 4" in diameter. He found some brass stock to make his 1 1/2" x4" set....he got the pretty ones!!

Proof that Cliff put a lot of time and design work into this project....to install the "pin," drilled hole through the baffle, threaded one end, slipped the pin through the hole into the far side, and held in place with a set screw.
Everything, outside diameter, which is a few thousands more than stock baffle....the in and out taper, etc is machined.....no file work!

End result.....greatly improved sound. Nice low rumble with a bark when you get on it.
Strangely, the sound at highway speeds is less than anything else we tried and quite pleasant. At low speeds might be a little loud for some but I like it.
Also picked up some increased torque which you can definitely feel.

Pictures show the end result....and I do mean end, at least for me.
Time to get off messing with baffles and on to something else.

PS: When I told Cliff I was going to post this, I also told him to look forward to "somebody" wanting him to make another set. Don't think you'll talk him into it......way too much time and work!!

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Login or Register to Remove Ads