Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
TFI and Mileage

I can't explain it either mac. Some ECU's on the Nomad might have variations that allow some of them to have less timing advance and therefore run a leaner mixture?

There is no reason why a Nomad cruising at 65MPH shouldn't get around 50 MPG's. I'm just glad I'm back in the 40's again. Sort of like Todd's waist size!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #17
Sr. Contributor

TFI and Mileage

Maybe because I appear tall being thin..?? Fully dressed i tip the scales at 160, that's with a loaded gun, and my pokets stuffed with things. bacca, lighter, swiss knife, reading glasses, sun glasses, pocket watch, my boots on a couple shirts and my removable beer gut, which is a long long silk scarf.

Maybe to the Nomad i simply don't count for anything?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #18

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
TFI and Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
I can't explain it either mac. Some ECU's on the Nomad might have variations that allow some of them to have less timing advance and therefore run a leaner mixture?

There is no reason why a Nomad cruising at 65MPH shouldn't get around 50 MPG's. I'm just glad I'm back in the 40's again. Sort of like Todd's waist size!
When Todd gits home they's gonna be heck to pay.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 10-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #19
Sr. Contributor

TFI and Mileage

ya,,,,,, I know....... ;)

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 10-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #20
Top Contributor

TFI and Mileage

Quote:

hurtful.....just hurtful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'( :'(

<marquee> </marquee>

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #21

TFI and Mileage

Ok guys,I need your advice.I did the debaffle,and am installing the TFI and chucksters 7 inch kit on the right side air using the stock dog bowl cover. What's going to be the best settings on the TFI for plenty of power,and good MPG using reg or premium gas with no pinging?I get around 40-42 MPG now.
Thanks
Johnny

Old 10-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #22
Sr. Contributor

TFI and Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by funtogo
Ok guys,I need your advice.I did the debaffle,and am installing the TFI and chucksters 7 inch kit on the right side air using the stock dog bowl cover. What's going to be the best settings on the TFI for plenty of power,and good MPG using reg or premium gas with no pinging?I get around 40-42 MPG now.
Thanks
Johnny
The info sheet has the settings, but these are base settings... Not written in stone.

No 2 identical bikes are really identical, no 2 TFI's are either, and no 2 ECU's are, so you get to do some messin around and test things.

The very last thing you want to do is set your settings to someone else's settings and call it good.

If you do, some things you won't like will happen right away.

One of the first things is the engine will probably race at idle, and if you try to ride the bike that way it will pull at times when you apply light braking, with out clutching IN.

That will make the bike feel as if it has a mind of it's own, and is taking you to Hell in a Handbasket.

So once you have the TFI installed, the first thing to do is be sure ALL the pots are set to OFF, checking each one before you start the engine, turning each one to counter clockwise lightly to be certain ALL the pots are really OFF. (These well may be OFF. Don't force them at all ever!)

Then start the engine, and turn POT 4 to about 9:00 right away. This is a rmp counter and isn't anything other than telling the ecu RPM may demand fuel.

At this point you should not see any red light flickering.

Turning POT's 1 and 2 clockwise a little at this point should get you green and yellow lights flickering, and this tells you the TFI is wired and working correctly.

Turn POT 2 OFF now, and work with POT 1 alone. Go ride a little close to home if you want as the engine needs to be at full warm.

Parked, you can now proceed to turn pot 1 clockwise slowly, and RPM should pick up. Perhaps RPM will pick up so much you need to turn the black knob under the right side air dog dish OUT to reduce RPM, by slightly closing the throttle plate. (Likely)

Repeat turning pot 1 clockwise, and pass the point where RPM drops from being overly RICH. Then work back counter clockwise to best RPM.

Refine Best RPM. Take a short ride for 5 to 10 miles. Ride easy and see if RPM goes back up any too high.. If it does turn the black knob out a little more, Refine pot 1 for best RPM.

Once you have this set to best RPM, and good idle, pot 1 will be some where between 2:30 and 4:30. Very tiny increments are possible, sometimes a slight touch will make a difference.

When you are satisfied pot 1 is working the engine with the best fuel mix you can muster than and only then are you ready for Pot 2.

Now Pot 2 is like an accelerator pump on a carbed car or bike. It adds fuel when you twist the throttle hard and fast..

This setting will be custom to the way you ride. So make sure your Life Insurance is paid up in full and you feel like a teenager the day you set this pot 2 up.

You're gonna go play Bad Boy some place the cops won't catch you...

You need a mile of clear traffic free road, and a place to pull off the road so you can adjust pot 2. There should be no one around who will call the cops. So not a nice quiet little mom and pops neighborhood. Leave the side cover home.

Set Pot 2 to around 2:30 and go ride as fast as you dare, never getting into 4th gear or 5th. At that setting make a few runs, to get used to the feel.

Then set to 3:00 and repeat, make some runs.. Then set to 3:30 and repeat, working up to around 5:30.

About now you should either need asprins, or have a case of white knuckels, or be headed to traffic court..

If you have a big grin on your face you are approaching illegal fun

Set pot 3 to 1:00 if you plan to ride over 112 MPH for sustained hours on the interstate. OFF if not.

Then go set pot 4 again while you watch the yellow and green lights flicker, and turn it back till you see RED... Then turn it forward clock wise to see green and yellow again and leave it there if you want. That might be around 4:00.

Or just leave it at 9:00 book spec.

'IF' you get closed throttle cackel, this can be addressed with pot 3, and or throttle controll. This depends on things you have, or haven't done to the bike.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #23

TFI and Mileage

Just a note: On my plug-n-play TFI for pot 3 1:00 is OFF.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #24
Sr. Contributor

TFI and Mileage

I too originally set my Nomad up exactly as mac stated above but running regular. Bike ran real good and rode it that way to Custer and back 3400 miles total. Only problem was fuel mileage never broke 37mpg's Ever! Set to run the "best" on regular caused my Nomad to get thirsty!

Running premium now allows me to turn down the #1 and #2 pot substantially and still have real good ping-free snappy throttle response but increased my mileage across the board by 5-6 mpgs... fuel cost wise it's about a push but now I can easily exceed 170 miles before low fuel warning light. It's worth it to me....

Member # 0005

Old 10-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #25
Mega-Contributor

TFI and Mileage

Quote:
I too originally set my Nomad up exactly as mac stated above but running regular. Bike ran real good and rode it that way to Custer and back 3400 miles total. Only problem was fuel mileage never broke 37mpg's Ever! Set to run the "best" on regular caused my Nomad to get thirsty!

Running premium now allows me to turn down the #1 and #2 pot substantially and still have real good ping-free snappy throttle response but increased my mileage across the board by 5-6 mpgs... fuel cost wise it's about a push but now I can easily exceed 170 miles before low fuel warning light. It's worth it to me....
Someone must have won the Powerball or something. Eh, Mr. Deep Pockets?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #26
Top Contributor

TFI and Mileage

BD is that a mis-print on your pot #3 pot #4 give stated 9 and 1? thats the reverse of the manual set up numbers and what others are stating. Just wondering.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #27
Sr. Contributor

TFI and Mileage

Yea, it's backwards doc........... just like CJ !!

Member # 0005

Old 10-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #28
Sr. Contributor

TFI and Mileage

BD, I wonder..... Since I have colder weather which I am sure you will agree with, then is it possible that there is more O<sup>2</sup>, and this makes a difference?

I hear about days in hot places where jets have a bad time getting off the ground, fir lack of air, but I don't know if that has to do with less O<sup>2</sup> or not.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #29
Sr. Contributor

TFI and Mileage

I think so mac. O2 falls off fast as the weather heats up. Plus your air has a lot of moisture that also lowers combustion temps as well.

Member # 0005

Old 10-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #30

TFI and Mileage

If Pot #4 isn't dialed to zero from the get go, the green light above #1 Pot will not light up on startup. Don't ask me how I know this. I thought mine was dead until I went back and read the directions. Funny how reading the directions sometimes helps a project go more smoothly.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482