Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-22-2018, 09:10 AM   #31

Good info and pics, thanks! I will be purchasing a hitch soon for my Nomad so this is good to know.
Ivan's flash and lots of other stuff

"God is good even when we aren't!!"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-27-2018, 07:03 PM   #32

I thought I would share my solution for the bars hitting the dash after installing Chuckster’s risers.

I tried hose clamps, several different rubber hoses, a hose on a hose and a clamp on a hose, I tried it all and nothing else worked. My bars aren’t tilted forward, they are back to the same angle they were stock with the dimple on the bars lined up with the gap of the left riser cap. That’s the angle that is the most comfortable for me

I used a 9/16” shaft collar that I got at ACE hardware. I opened up the hole to fit the steering stop post. I then shaved the sides so it would clear the lower triple tree and painted it black.

I put blue locktite on the lock stud and cinched it down.

I now have plenty of clearance when the bars are at full chock and no worries of hitting the dash as shown in the photos and best of all, no compression issues like a rubber hose would give when turned to full chock and pressure is applied, this is metal to metal so it is rock hard like stock.

The only drawback is, I can’t lock the steering anymore, but I couldn’t before I did this due to the bars hitting the dash, so I guess it doesn’t really matter anyway, just thought I would mention it.

Total cost was $1.98 and about 30 mins of my time to enlarge the hole, grind the angles with my belt sander and spray paint it.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 12-10-2018 at 07:50 PM.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:02 AM   #33

Necessity is the mother of invention! Well done!

Old 05-28-2018, 11:47 AM   #34
Top Contributor

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #35

BonVoyager’s 2012 Voyager

Thanks Smokier and Black Knight!

Here’s a bunch of pics from my first ride pulling the Time Out camper. It’s crazy how I can’t even feel it behind me!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by BonVoyager; 05-28-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:32 PM   #36

Very nice setup you have now

You should be able to lay the legs down all the way flat from the other pictures I have seen of that model.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 05-28-2018, 01:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
Very nice setup you have now

You should be able to lay the legs down all the way flat from the other pictures I have seen of that model.

Thanks!

Yup, I usually have them parked flat like that. I had just pulled it out from under the tarps I had on it. I leave the legs straight up when the tarps are on it to “tent” the tarps and try and keep them from resting on the sharp corners on the trailer.

Up until now I have only towed it with my car. I was so excited to take it for it’s first ride behind the bike that I just layed them down quick for the ride.

To lay them the way I did it, you just push the button locks and push the legs down. To lay them flat, you have to pop the legs out of the cradles they are normally in when used, flip the legs in into another set of holes, push the thumb locks and lay them flat. Takes a few extra steps and about another 1-2 minutes to do. When I got back from the ride, I washed the trailer and put the legs flat. I prefer them laying flat and they won’t block the trunk lights on the bike.

Although, when I went to Florida, I had to stand the legs straight up to give the trailer more height, too many idiots changing lanes didn’t see the trailer and almost clipped it! That stopped that from happening.

Some people leave them in the other position to cradle a roof bag for extra storage.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 05-28-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #38

Well, after my last long ride, I stopped for a break and noticed this case bolt was leaking oil. YAY!

I took this pic when I got home. The area was a lot wetter before I took this pic. Looks like most of the oil blew away on the ride home.

There are only 8,120 miles on the bike. Luckily, I have warranty until Dec 2019. Looks like I have to take it in to the dealer and have them fix it.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 05-29-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:30 AM   #39

Maybe the oil blew out the dipstick cap?? Its right there.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #40

Quote:
Luckily, I have warranty until Dec 2019. Looks like I have to take it in to the dealer and have them fix it.
So happy its free, But it still has a cost = downtime, and that acing feeling when it is not in the garage. Maybe you can wait till Fall??

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 05-30-2018, 07:46 PM   #41

Ok - Here is a thought - Directly above this spot is the Air Filter. Remove the Air Filter and see if you have any oil in that area.
Couple of thought -
#1 You may have put too much oil in your K&N Filter if you have one.
#2 There is a little plastic bulb which all I could ever figure is it collects oil that my drain back into the Air Chamber to eventually be burned up. I once overfilled my oil once and filled that little thingy up to where it had to drain out all down the side of the engine.

I just took that entire air cleaner/duct work off on that side and did a deep clean of my bike. (Actually looking for a rattle) It wasn't real had job 3 or 4 bolts after taking the air cleaner out. Hardest part - Reconnecting a hose (Oil Breather?) from the head area back to the air cleaner crossover tube.

Something to check out

Old 05-31-2018, 11:36 AM   #42

No, it isn’t leaking from the stock air filter or the oil cap. It’s weeping right out of the bolt threads. Last ride it was pretty saturated right out of the threads. I took that pic the next day, so most of it blew off or dripped down before I snapped the pic.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:47 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
So happy its free, But it still has a cost = downtime, and that acing feeling when it is not in the garage. Maybe you can wait till Fall??
Exactly my thought. I have my another bike that I am selling that I could ride, I just can’t pull my camper with it. I thought about waiting until the end of the season too. I’m still trying to figure out what dealer to take it to. The one I used to work for closed and the other one that I had to go to last time handed me back my bike covered in greasy handprints on all the crash bars, the trunk and the tank. They also left my right saddlebag lid unlatched and my key in the ignition out in the parking lot and they had no clue I was coming to pick it up. So I’m not too happy about all of that.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 05-31-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:31 AM   #44

Well, I have decided to wait until riding season is over to deal with the oil leak issue.

We’ve been working on our Time Out camper these last few weeks doing regular maintenance and some lighting upgrades to it. Pics of all that will get posted soon once that is finally completed. I also adjusted the belt on the bike to be a little more slack and did an oil change.

We did a practice pull to Promised Land State Park about 40 mins from our house to go camping this weekend. It’s a beautiful park in a gorgeous area and the bike pulled the camper with ease. We can honestly barely tell it is even back there at all and it is absolutely silent. We only notice when going over bumps, there’s that extra bump from the trailer. I didn’t take a pic of the inside, will have to do that next trip. We brought with us our queen air mattress, bedding, pillows, the table that comes with the camper, a foot step, a box fan, her laptop, a speaker for the laptop, my backpack of clothes, her back pack of clothes, two small boxes of outside lights, two floor mats, extension cords, towels for showering and the beach, and a caddy with our bath items.

We definitely turned quite a few heads on our trip and at the campground! Here’s a few pics from the trip. We took some video as well, I will post those soon.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 06-19-2018 at 01:39 AM.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #45

Thumbs Up Another job well done, Very nice

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles