Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-21-2016, 01:36 AM   #1

EJK settings.

Hey all, New to the forum. Just picked up a 2009 Nomad last week. I have been going thru it and found that it has a EJK (Electronic Jet Kit) p/n 9120417. I go the instructions on it, I swear they are written in Klingon. Anyone have any experience with these.

Obviously, I would like to get the ECU programmed by Ivan, but for now and cost savings for the time.. This is what I have. Also the baffles have been removed from the pipes.. no idea where they are now. If that makes a difference.

I find that the bike runs real nice, but has no real low end grunt that you would expect on a big displacement motor like these. I am thinking that it is the settings on the EJK.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-21-2016, 11:00 AM   #2

Welcome from Northern California!

You will be amazed once you Ivanize your bike

Hopefully others here can help you on the EJK, and post a pic when you can

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 06-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #3

I have a 12 Voyager with baffles drilled, and a Thunder stock air kit. Have not had the A/F ratio checked, but runs decent. I dont ride very hard, rarely get over 3k rpm. My average mpg is 37.6, with it hitting 40+ on long easy rides. Riding to and from work, a 13 mile ride each way, mixed city highway riding, I average high 35, low 36 mpg. My settings are green 1, yellow 2.5, red 1.5, green/blue 5, yellow/blue 4, red/blue 3. The green/blue determines when the controller starts adding fuel, at 5 it adds fuel above 1800 rpm, below this, it does nothing.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:52 PM   #4

2012 Nomad with Chuckster air, V&H slip ons. Have had ejk on for the past 10,000 klms averaging 39-42 mpg. Have settings on 2,2.5,1.5,6,3.5 & 3. Get the odd backfire & a little decel popping but nothing serious. If I was in USA would definately think about sending it to Ivan- just don't trust the post from this far away & have a sth east asia ECU which he hasn't worked on yet.

2012 Nomad 1700
Ivanized(2)
Vance & Hines slipons

2005 Classic 800(sold)

Old 06-21-2016, 08:53 PM   #5

I disagree about the green blue. Mine is at 3. Runs much better.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-21-2016, 11:32 PM   #6

Might have to try green/blue on 3- when it stops raining!😂😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Nomad 1700
Ivanized(2)
Vance & Hines slipons

2005 Classic 800(sold)

Old 06-23-2016, 11:32 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I will give it a look today and see if I can figure it out. I do get a burble type popping on decel, but also found that I get a weird surge while riding. Almost a slight pulse in power. Any idea?

Old 06-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #8

You may be running a little lean, try going up .5 or 1 on your green setting and see if it helps.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #9

Some loss of the low end grunt/torque could also be caused from having no baffles in the exhaust resulting in a loss of back pressure...so I've been told. Cheers

Old 06-25-2016, 06:41 AM   #10

I've got the Bully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadpiratejay View Post
I go the instructions on it, I swear they are written in Klingon. Anyone have any experience with these.
Greetings! I have a Bully Processor which is very similar (if not just ?Different branding) to the EJK.

Lets talk Concept:
3 fuel maps

Green = Idle and Cruise
Yellow = Acceleration
Red - Wide Open

Green/Blue = Point at which the processor Turns on - Uses the Green Map
Yellow Blue = Point at which the Yellow map is transitioned from the Green Map - as you accelerate.
Red/Blue = Point at which the Red map is transitioned from the Yellow Map - Wide Open

Note: Before you start - write down where your EJK is set at now - You commented that it runs OK now, you want to be able to put it back. FYI - Press mode button Read where the Green lights are at (example: Light 2 and 3 on is a reading of 2.5) Press mode button go through each setting.

In theory, What you want to achieve is to have a green (Cruise) map that stays on all the way up to the speed which you Normally Cruise at. You will achieve better fuel mileage if the green stays on with some amount of acceleration, but the yellow map kicks in if you go to pass a car or accelerate out of a corner. Similarly, you do not want the Red (Wide open map) to kick in when you are at 3/4 throttle,

Now lets tune: (I'm gonna assume your EJK is mounted so you can see it while riding?)
Watch the lights. Pay attention to the throttle you need to give it to change the lights. When you are running at your normal cruise speed are the Green lights on? or are the yellow lights on? If the Green lights are on that is good. If the Yellow lights are on you are using more fuel to maintain that speed than needed.

If the yellow lights are on at cruise - do this - go to the Yellow / Blue setting (Accelerate Turn On) and make the number higher 1 number. Repeat the test ride. You should attempt to raise the Yellow/Blue so the Green light stays on at Cruise speed.

Once you get the Green on at cruise speed - Does the bike run smooth or rough? - Now adjust the fuel on the Green setting up or down and observe how it rides in the Green zone. (I adjust the Green (add fuel) at Cruise depending on Fuel type and even altitude).

When you are Happy with the Cruise setting - Now observe the point the where the bike is in the Yellow (accelerate mode). Can you feel it when the Yellow map kicks in? Is it smooth or does it stumble? Repeat the add or subtract Yellow setting so it's smooth during acceleration. My rule of thumb is to lean it until it gets rough, then go up .5 and try it. You are looking for the smoothest with the lowest setting.

If so desired - repeat for the Red setting. On the Red / Blue setting try to get the red map to turn on at Wide Open only. (This could be tough - I could never get the Red map to turn on on the 2009 Voyager I had, Same processor Red worked on the 2012 and 2013)

Now - Set the Idle Map. I have mine set to where the Bully turns on (Green Map) at about 1,100 or 1,200 RPM's - So basically at Idle it's off.

Now lets define Off and On for the Bully/EJK. For the Bully - I've been told that the processor has been programed to specifically work with a 1700 Kawasaki, Let's call it a Base Map. This Base Map institutes mods to what the Stock ECU puts out. (Note: Per Gman - there is No Way to Zero Out a Map as with the Power Commander - This is why the EJK/BULLY will not work with an Ivan Upgrade).

I hope I added some useful information to the conversation.

Mike
Red_VGR

Old 06-25-2016, 08:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick6375 View Post
You may be running a little lean, try going up .5 or 1 on your green setting and see if it helps.
On my stock 1500 Nomad the recommended settings are G2 Y2 and R1

Old 06-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadpiratejay View Post
Hey all, New to the forum. Just picked up a 2009 Nomad last week. I have been going thru it and found that it has a EJK (Electronic Jet Kit) p/n 9120417. I go the instructions on it, I swear they are written in Klingon. Anyone have any experience with these.

Obviously, I would like to get the ECU programmed by Ivan, but for now and cost savings for the time.. This is what I have. Also the baffles have been removed from the pipes.. no idea where they are now. If that makes a difference.

I find that the bike runs real nice, but has no real low end grunt that you would expect on a big displacement motor like these. I am thinking that it is the settings on the EJK.
Greetings,
Congrats on the new bike! I have an Excel spread sheet where I tracked the mods and adjustment combinations. The sheet also includes settings provided to me by other forum members. Total, about 10 entries. Glad to send it to you, if interested. PM.
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 06-25-2016, 09:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
Greetings! I have a Bully Processor which is very similar (if not just ?Different branding) to the EJK.

Lets talk Concept:
3 fuel maps

Green = Idle and Cruise
Yellow = Acceleration
Red - Wide Open

Green/Blue = Point at which the processor Turns on - Uses the Green Map
Yellow Blue = Point at which the Yellow map is transitioned from the Green Map - as you accelerate.
Red/Blue = Point at which the Red map is transitioned from the Yellow Map - Wide Open

Note: Before you start - write down where your EJK is set at now - You commented that it runs OK now, you want to be able to put it back. FYI - Press mode button Read where the Green lights are at (example: Light 2 and 3 on is a reading of 2.5) Press mode button go through each setting.

In theory, What you want to achieve is to have a green (Cruise) map that stays on all the way up to the speed which you Normally Cruise at. You will achieve better fuel mileage if the green stays on with some amount of acceleration, but the yellow map kicks in if you go to pass a car or accelerate out of a corner. Similarly, you do not want the Red (Wide open map) to kick in when you are at 3/4 throttle,

Now lets tune: (I'm gonna assume your EJK is mounted so you can see it while riding?)
Watch the lights. Pay attention to the throttle you need to give it to change the lights. When you are running at your normal cruise speed are the Green lights on? or are the yellow lights on? If the Green lights are on that is good. If the Yellow lights are on you are using more fuel to maintain that speed than needed.

If the yellow lights are on at cruise - do this - go to the Yellow / Blue setting (Accelerate Turn On) and make the number higher 1 number. Repeat the test ride. You should attempt to raise the Yellow/Blue so the Green light stays on at Cruise speed.

Once you get the Green on at cruise speed - Does the bike run smooth or rough? - Now adjust the fuel on the Green setting up or down and observe how it rides in the Green zone. (I adjust the Green (add fuel) at Cruise depending on Fuel type and even altitude).

When you are Happy with the Cruise setting - Now observe the point the where the bike is in the Yellow (accelerate mode). Can you feel it when the Yellow map kicks in? Is it smooth or does it stumble? Repeat the add or subtract Yellow setting so it's smooth during acceleration. My rule of thumb is to lean it until it gets rough, then go up .5 and try it. You are looking for the smoothest with the lowest setting.

If so desired - repeat for the Red setting. On the Red / Blue setting try to get the red map to turn on at Wide Open only. (This could be tough - I could never get the Red map to turn on on the 2009 Voyager I had, Same processor Red worked on the 2012 and 2013)

Now - Set the Idle Map. I have mine set to where the Bully turns on (Green Map) at about 1,100 or 1,200 RPM's - So basically at Idle it's off.

Now lets define Off and On for the Bully/EJK. For the Bully - I've been told that the processor has been programed to specifically work with a 1700 Kawasaki, Let's call it a Base Map. This Base Map institutes mods to what the Stock ECU puts out. (Note: Per Gman - there is No Way to Zero Out a Map as with the Power Commander - This is why the EJK/BULLY will not work with an Ivan Upgrade).

Mike
Red_VGR
So what mods/numbers are you running Mike?

2012 Nomad 1700
Ivanized(2)
Vance & Hines slipons

2005 Classic 800(sold)

Old 06-25-2016, 06:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post

Mike
Red_VGR
Yes, you did Mike... Good to see you on the VBA too! Although I'll have to stop taking your advice on Delphi & passing it off as my own over here now eh?

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 06-25-2016, 09:32 PM   #15

Good info and well explained Mike, TY. Did not know about the Gman and Ivan not working together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk