Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-13-2016, 02:26 PM   #1

Driveshaft U-joint discovery

Started out removing my rear wheel to have new tire installed and figured I may as well go all the way and inspect u-joint.
What I discovered is the same as most have, a tight U-joint on one yoke.
Was it lacking grease "no". In fact what I found was the complete opposite.
u-joint was clean and had sufficient grease. I believe the tightness is actually a manufacturers defect on the sizing of the yoke assembly.
I first removed the cir-clip on the two cups on the tight side.
Gave a slight tap only on one side of yoke and instantly the tightness was gone. I believe the inside diameter on the yoke was too narrow for the assembled joint. The fix was easy. I measured the cir-clip thickness .052 in and using some emery cloth on a flat surface I managed to reduce the thickness of the circlips to .046in Reinstalled cir-clips and no more tightness.
Noting the tight side was the yoke on the gear side and not the driveshaft side.

So I'm now curious to see which side of yoke was tight on other bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.7 KB, 55 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #2

When I bought my 2004 it had a vibration through the bike that would come and go at low speed, just speed up a little and it would go away. It was driving me nuts. I needed a new tire so at the same time took the swing arm off to grease it and checked the u-joint, sure enough it was tight on one side (can't remember which side) so I ordered a replacement and changed it.
That was 4 years ago and the end of my vibration.