Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-18-2008, 11:51 PM   #1

Neutral problem?

I took a 20 mi trip and parked, shut down. When I turned on the ignition, I tried to find neutral but no luck. I pulled in clutch and rocked bike and tried again. I started the bike in gear and when I pulled away in 1st gear, it jumped out of gear. It did it a second time and I still couldn't find neutral. The third time it was okay and that was the end of the problem. When I got home and pulled in the garage, it went right into neutral. Has anyone had any problem like this or should I have it checked out. My o5 Nomad has 10k mi. I have owned it a month. I have not changed the oil yet but want to next week.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank You,

Don

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-19-2008, 12:29 AM   #2

Neutral problem?

You shouldn't have to find neutral. The bike has a positive neutral finder. If you are stopped in first gear 1 click up and it goes into N (not 2nd) My bike shifts better when I shift it firmly and not pu$$yfoot. I did that once and the gears made some weird grinding noise.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:00 AM   #3

Neutral problem?

I just had that happen to me last Friday. I pulled into my Mom's driveway in first gear with no problems. When I was leaving, started the bike and was talking with my brother so I wanted to drop it into neutral. It would not go for anything. I pushed the bike forward and it moved while in first and I could hear gear dragging, for lack of a better phrase. Anywho, I kept playing with it until it finally when into neutral. It hasn't happened since. I changed the oil in it last Sunday.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 04-19-2008, 07:11 AM   #4

Neutral problem?

I had a problem with mine yesterday. Stopped for lunch and shut bike off in 2nd gear. After lunch, bike would not go into neutral. Started it and slipped clutch a little tried to hit neutral and it went right through to 1st. some grinding and a clunk and off I went.
If I shut it off in 1st then I have no problem.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-19-2008, 07:49 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Neutral problem?

Every once in a while I will experience this. Figured it was because I did not really know for sure that I was in first when I tried to hit neutral. Could be a quirk but I don't really care.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Neutral problem?

The positive neutral finder tends to hang up the transmission when stopped in 2nd gear. On rare occasions that happens to me and I'm like "WTF?" I let the clutch out a little to engage the transmission under a load then pull in the clutch and bang it into neutral.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #7

Neutral problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
The positive neutral finder tends to hang up the transmission when stopped in 2nd gear. On rare occasions that happens to me and I'm like "WTF?" I let the clutch out a little to engage the transmission under a load then pull in the clutch and bang it into neutral.
Yup. Same here. I try always to end up stopped in 1st gear. Once ia a blue moon I'll stall it in traffic in 2nd, and then I'll just slip the clutch a little & start out in second rather than diddling around getting to first.

With the Baggers, you can make some really interesting noises starting out from second gear. Starting out in 3rd gear in traffic, you can literally scare people in cars next to you. Fun, but I don't recommend it, as it's a bit hard on the clutch. ;)

Old 04-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #8

Neutral problem?

Mine will not start unless it is in neutral. Is that the way others are or supposed to be, '05? My VN800B starts if it is in neutral OR if the clutch is in, but Nomad no.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:14 AM   #9

Neutral problem?

Huh? Something's wrong Ells.

Mine will start in any gear if the clutch is pulled in. I'd think that only being able to start in neutral would be a real safety hazard. What if you stall it at the top of a steep hill? You gotta keep the rear brake on to keep from sliding backwards, as there's little weight on the front wheel (particularly if you have a passenger & luggage) plus you gotta somehow shift to neutral? How would you hold the bike up?

Old 04-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #10

Neutral problem?

the bike won't start in gear if the kickstand is down. I don't see why it wouldn't start in gear if it runs in gear.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #11

Neutral problem?

Thanks for the input. Sounds like it might be a minor quirk. I'll change the oil and live with it.
Don

Old 04-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #12

Neutral problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
the bike won't start in gear if the kickstand is down.
Mine will. You just have to pull the clutch lever in.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #13

Neutral problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
the bike won't start in gear if the kickstand is down.
Mine will. You just have to pull the clutch lever in.
It shouldn't start in gear with the kickstand down THAT is a safety hazard. (driving away with the kickstand down)

My starting routine when it is in gear is sit on the bike, pull clutch in, push starter button (nothing happens), kick the stand up - Bike starts. The bike should only start after the kick stand is up unless its in N then clutch in or out stand up or down doesn't matter.My 1997 honda was the same way.

(unless 1500's don't have that safety mechanism)

Old 04-19-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
Top Contributor

Neutral problem?

I'm going to try to address several issues brought up in this thread.

According to the information in the Owners Manual and the Service Manual for 2005 through 2008 Nomads:

One:

To shift into neutral the bike must be in first gear and must not be moving. One shift up will put the transmission into neutral. You cannot shift beyond neutral. If the bike is moving in first gear, an up shift should not go into neutral. You should not be able to shift into neutral from second gear whether moving or not.

Two:

I have read that this transmission will not down shift unless the bike is moving. (I can't find where I read this right now but I will keep looking when I have time) So far my experience has borne this out. If you come to a stop in second or third or gear you will be starting out in whatever gear you stopped in. Once you get moving some then you can downshift. The lesson I learned is if you are stopping on an upgrade make darn sure that you get down into first gear before you stop.

Three: Conditions required to start engine.

(Engine Stop switch must be in the Run position.)

Side Stand Gear Position Clutch Engine Start
Up Neutral Out Starts
Up Neutral In Starts
Up In gear Out No start
Up In gear In Starts
Down Neutral Out Starts
Down Neutral In Starts
Down In gear Out No start
Down In gear In No start

Hope this helps some.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210