Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #1

crazy Oil leak in the boot between drive shaft and motor

Hi,

I have an oil leak , and the oil in dripping from the boot between the driveshaft and the moteur that call : bevel gear. i have changed the seal # 92049-1038 and i have again and oil leak, less than before, but it 's dripping again. Do you have any idea what i must do to fix it ? Is there a special method to replace this seal, do i must change the gear too ?

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #2

Is it motor oil or gear oil that is dripping there, it could be either one. the motor oil could be coming from the clutch push rod seal, and the gear oil from the final drive.
It could also be brake fluid from the clutch slave cylinder.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #3

If it is coming from the final drive, did you recently change your final drive oil and add too much? I believe the method in the manual says fill with the bike upright. This seems to be incorrect and will cause an over fill and possible leak where you are describing. Fill the rear drive with the bike on it's side stand with a 2x4 underneath.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #4

I am currently in the process of repairing my final drive, because it was leaking gear oil from the rubber boot too. My leak was coming from the seal for the pinion gear. It's been almost a week repairing it, cause I had to wait on the pinion gear nut to arrive. The nut is a dealer only, item, and isn't re-useable. While I had it out, I went ahead and replaced all the seals in the final drive. I hope to have time to get it back together over the weekend.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 07-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #5

My pinion seal failed in Custer at the 2009 National Rally. Rode it all the way home with it leaking slightly. Warranty covered the seal replacement. It started leaking again at the SC Rally last month and quit dry. I thought I was going to have to have the seal replaced again but it quit leaking completely. It was definitely the Royal Purple gear oil.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #6

yes i have changed this oil recently and now i think this is the problem, but i knew that the bike must be on the small stand, buy maybe i put too much oil. Thanks !

Old 07-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #7

nice information foe the nut , because i have ordered the seals, but not the nut !! i will do it monday morning !!! Thanks

Old 07-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #8

On my final drive I just have to remove the lock collar to change the seal, and can leave the pinion nut alone. Ive had mine apart a couple times over the years.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #9

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
If it is coming from the final drive, did you recently change your final drive oil and add too much? I believe the method in the manual says fill with the bike upright. This seems to be incorrect and will cause an over fill and possible leak where you are describing. Fill the rear drive with the bike on it's side stand with a 2x4 underneath.
The dealership where I purchased my Nomad and an independent shop that has two of the best MC techs in the state all say that the final drive should be filled with the bike straight up and level. I've always filled mine with the sidestand on a flat 2x4 and pinion seal started leaking twice in 37,500 miles. Who's right and who's wrong?

110 cu in SE

Rinehart 4" slip ons
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

VBA #482

Old 07-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider View Post
My pinion seal failed in Custer at the 2009 National Rally. Rode it all the way home with it leaking slightly. Warranty covered the seal replacement. It started leaking again at the SC Rally last month and quit dry. I thought I was going to have to have the seal replaced again but it quit leaking completely. It was definitely the Royal Purple gear oil.
Are you saying that the Royal Purple gear oil caused the leak, or stopped the leak?

2008 1600 Nomad 56K miles "BlueBelle"

2004 1500 Nomad 102 K miles "Black Beauty"

ABATE Black Creek Chapter

Amvet Rider Post 86
http://www.facebook.com/AmvetPost86

Weston A. Price Foundation member.

Vegetarian......
An old Indian word meaning "Bad Hunter"

Legalize Freedom!
Question Authority!

"Im in love with the waitress, and I dont even know her name"
"Boys" Gone Wild" ! Mainstreet Station 2012 Daytona Bikeweek

Old 07-10-2012, 05:55 AM   #11

I think he's right , because the first time i have putt another kind of oil and i did not have any trouble, and this time i have putt some Motomaster gear oil, and after two weeks, it begun to leak. This is the second time that i putt some motomaster oil in my bike, the firt time it was the motor oil, and it was starting leaking too. So, take my advice, never never putt any motomaster oil in your bike, always bike's brand oil !!

Old 07-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #12

ok, i will check that when i will remove the pinion gear this week, if i can do that without removing the nut, i will save time.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigicou View Post
I think he's right , because the first time i have putt another kind of oil and i did not have any trouble, and this time i have putt some Motomaster gear oil, and after two weeks, it begun to leak. This is the second time that i putt some motomaster oil in my bike, the firt time it was the motor oil, and it was starting leaking too. So, take my advice, never never putt any motomaster oil in your bike, always bike's brand oil !!
Ive used Motomaster oil in my bikes final drive, and it doesn't leak at all.
As far as the motor oil goes, why not try some Rotella T in it. Canadian Tire puts it on sale once in a while.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider View Post
The dealership where I purchased my Nomad and an independent shop that has two of the best MC techs in the state all say that the final drive should be filled with the bike straight up and level. I've always filled mine with the sidestand on a flat 2x4 and pinion seal started leaking twice in 37,500 miles. Who's right and who's wrong?
These guys are quoting what the manual says which is
to fill it upright. This translates to maybe around a 1/2 inch or so more in the housing. Are they right?, Over filling any gear housing, transmission etc can cause it to leak, where as under filling by a bit will not cause it to leak unless it is so underfilled that seals are not bathed in oil and wear prematurely.
I don't think filling on the side stand and a 2x4 will be the cause of a leak and that has been the general method many have used on here.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #15

I don't think the Royal Purple or filling it on the sidestand caused the leaks. It's a mystery to me why mine leaked twice and others here have never had a leak. Could be a factory defect that causes premature pinion seal failure. I wish I would have known why but don't. After the seal was replaced by the dealer, they filled it with the bike straight up with dyno oil. I rolled it for 7,000 miles before changing the oil. Not a hint of oil under the boot. It started leaking again in June enough to leave a small puddle twice. Then it quit. Go figure that one???

110 cu in SE

Rinehart 4" slip ons
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

VBA #482