Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 02-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #16

Cervical Radiculopathy

It sounds like ponch has some of the same problems that I have with disc and bone spurs and if so then traction and exercise could make it worse if it irritates the nerves.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #17

Cervical Radiculopathy

That all depends. If you are in that severe of condition, I would guess not much but fusing the discs is going to help.

I have bone-spurs and my treatment works around that condition to strengthen the muscles around those areas to support the discs better -- thus keeping them from further compression.

When is all gets down to it... it has a lot to do with our overall muscular condition and strength. Many of us (me included) have not done the best to keep our physical condition in top shape - thus lethargy occurs in the muscles -- especially in the neck and lower back -- causing pains and aches that otherwise can be helped (if not cured) by re-conditioning these areas.

While it hasn't been easy going through the therapy... it has worked so far for me... so I'll keep it up as long as it works before I'll succumb to a scalpel.

I have a friend who had his lower back fused. His result was one of those that didn't work and now he will always have a certain level of pain and disability. Nothing he can do about it. Just for the record; he is the CEO of a large hospital in the region; and took the "medicine" he was selling. Ask him now about his surgery and you'll have to sit through an hour-long lecture about his "new" opinion of modern medicine.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 02-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #18
Sr. Contributor

Cervical Radiculopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
I understand. Not all chiro's are the same though. Certainly the one I am seeing isn't like any other I have been to.

I resist typical medical treatment since they always lean toward surgery or drugs eventually. Some quicker than others; but all do eventually after their initial recommendations don't work.

That has been my experience. Think long and hard before allowing them to fuse, deaden, or remove anything.

PS: Full disclosure. My wife works for medical college for the state of illinois -- which still doesn't sway my opinion any. In fact, it just reinforces it.
The two things that bother me is that I can't effectively work out and the headaches. I'll let you know what the guy says though. I have a good intuition in terms of looking at the MRI/Xrays and interpreting what he says. The other thing is riding. Will this affect it? Wearing a helmet all day can have it's downsides.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #19

Cervical Radiculopathy

One reason I wear a half-helmet is because of my neck. A full helmit kills me after a while. The half-helmet takes a bit longer before it bothers me; but it still does.

Hope all goes well on this for you.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #20

Cervical Radiculopathy

I find increased foolin around with the ol lady helps, I have pins and screws in my leg so I can't even catch her anymore, sometimes I ambush her, Ha Ha!, My suggestion is DRINK Heavily!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Cervical Radiculopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe3407nomad
I find increased foolin around with the ol lady helps, I have pins and screws in my leg so I can't even catch her anymore, sometimes I ambush her, Ha Ha!, My suggestion is DRINK Heavily!
I have 5 kids, and at that I was using some self-restraint. Trust me, even in my decrepit state, I have no trouble catching her or her I. ;)
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 02-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #22
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Cervical Radiculopathy

Ponch yoyu may have discogenic disc disease of the cervcal spine. this is a slow deterioation of the spine narrowing the space between the discs. the foraminal canals, the narrow openings that nerves pass through are compromised causing the disc to compress against them causing your symptoms. Epidural can provide some relief but in my business (Workers' Compensation litigation) they rarely last or are a cure. Get plenty and I mean plenty of opinions on your treatment options.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #23
Sr. Contributor

Cervical Radiculopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Ponch yoyu may have discogenic disc disease of the cervcal spine. this is a slow deterioation of the spine narrowing the space between the discs. the foraminal canals, the narrow openings that nerves pass through are compromised causing the disc to compress against them causing your symptoms. Epidural can provide some relief but in my business (Workers' Compensation litigation) they rarely last or are a cure. Get plenty and I mean plenty of opinions on your treatment options.
If it's a narrowing of the foramina, I am pretty much screwed, at least from my understanding. I'll find out more soon enough. It's funny you mention workman's comp. I had issues with this starting with an injury 25 years ago. I went to duck under something as I was walking and didn't quite make it. I saw stars and my neck cracked like when a chiropractor does it. Since then, I would get issues like these every so many years and a chiro adjustment would help. Not anymore.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 02-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #24
Top Contributor

Cervical Radiculopathy

Just found this ponch...interestingly enough, I went to the Dr. about 6 weeks ago with SEVERE pain in my right shoulder. Dont recall doing anything do it....maybe pulling out a sappling before Christmas...but the shoulder pain got so bad I went to the Dr. I had been having shoulder issues on and off for 15 years but never this bad...usually lasted many weeks then went away.

Well the Doc looked at me for 5 mins and said, you have a pinched nerve at c5/c6. Strength was way down and zero reflexes. Just took xrays and no MRI b/c he said he would treat the same way at this point. Now I know this has all been an issue with my neck the whole time :-/

Started PT with traction/TENS/heat pack. not sure traction helped but the the TENS and heat was great...so much I bought a TENS unit and started doing my own PT stuff at home. Tried that and Skelaxin and strong NSAIDS for 2 weeks along with the occasional Vicodin and it got better but very slowly. He didn't want to use Prednisone due to me being type 1 diabetic.

So on my second visit I told him I had been taking insulin since age 12 on a sliding scale and lets give the Prednisone a shot. 4 hours after taking the first I could tell a major difference....like AlabamaNomadRider said bloodsugar went nuts....so ended up using an entire Humalog Pen in 4 days (usually lasts me about 2 weeks)..but that got me on the road to recovery.

Been on the TENS, heat, and NSAIDS since...actually slept the last 4 nights all night without it waking me up and feel 90% back to normal at this point. I hear that "squish" in the back of my neck when moving it and it is like the pressure just goes away.

I am sure it is all from TDO (Too Damned Old) syndrome and all of the weights and sports early in life....but so far I was able to calm it down. I have always heard try everything on your back before you turn to surgery..................

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 02-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #25
Sr. Contributor

Cervical Radiculopathy

You need to lose weight fat stuff!! Seriously, weight is the #1 issue with spine/nerve issues. Now drop and give me 20!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 02-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #26
Sr. Contributor

Cervical Radiculopathy

Like you, I've had issues for a long time. Usually a chiro adjustment or two would get back on track. Not in this case. I was like electric shock when i got my neck done. I am seeing the doc next Monday. I think what Brad said is about right. The results were basically severe bone and disc disease with nerve and spinal cord impingement. it also said something about disc problems in c4-c5 and c6-c7 with bone spurs in c6-c7. In the last week I've had headaches every day. It's like a spike in the base of my skull. I don't like taking drugs, but today I actually felt a little nauseous from it so I took an aleve. I guess I'll find out soon enough. No farmers walks or shoulder shrugs for awhile.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 02-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #27
Top Contributor

Cervical Radiculopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
You need to lose weight fat stuff!! Seriously, weight is the #1 issue with spine/nerve issues. Now drop and give me 20!!!
@ c5/c6 it's the weight of my big Fred Flintstone head!!!!!!! and the rest definitely does not help....but I know when I did this...I was 6'4 and weighed about 215.........behind the head military presses over the shoulder...YIKES

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 02-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #28

Cervical Radiculopathy

I empathize with you brother. I've been dealing with pain in my left shoulder/arm since Sept. After an MRI, CT scan and finally a Myleogram we've confirmed that I have a ruptured disc between C6 & 7. I had a previous ruptured disc between C5 & 6 that was taken care of with a Laminectomy(Never had an ounce of pain since). Well, this rupture is straight back toward the spinal cord, so they can't do another Laminectomy. So, on March 22nd I'll be having fusion surgery for both. The spacing between C5 & 6 has deteriated some and the Dr. says it's only a matter of time until this is bone on bone. He thought it best to take care of this while he's in taking care of C6 & 7. I agreed with him.... I'll let you guys know how it turns out.. I hope you're able to get yours taken care of.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #29
Sr. Contributor

Cervical Radiculopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd (Nomadis Custodis)

but I know when I did this...I was 6'4 and weighed about 215........YIKES
And it says this on your Birth Certificate??

Member # 0005

Old 03-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #30

Cervical Radiculopathy

I went thru this about three years ago. MRI confirmed that I had disc's that were putting pressure on spinal cord. Dr did a fusion at C5-6 and 6-7. When I came to in recovery it was amazing and I knew that it had worked. The pain that I had been in was gone. I went from the codeine products and muscle relaxers to an occasional Tylenol over night. For me it has helped immensely. I would caution anyone that it is better to do it early as the longer you let it hamper the nerves the greater chance that the nerves will not heal from it. Mine will never heal totally as I let it go for almost 7 years before I let them do it.

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster