Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #1

Clutch is stuck.

I was hoping to ride my "new" 00 Nomad first time after cleaning clutch master cylinder, but engine stalled as soon as I switched from neutral to first gear. Now I cannot switch it back to neutral. Clutch seems to be stuck. I am planning to bleed fluid again, then clean slave cylinder. If it doesn't work I'll have to remove clutch discs. Can disks get stuck?
Any advises?
Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Clutch is stuck.

How many miles are on the bike? Mine is an '08 with almost 12,000 miles and I haven't changed out my fluids yet. Might be a spring project.

Clutch plates could stick if the bike has been sitting for a long period of time. Otherwise, I wouldn't think they would stick.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 01-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #3

Clutch is stuck.

If it is not running you should be able to shift from 1st to neutral without the clutch.

If it won't shift out of 1st into neutral it sounds like a trans problem.

Are you absolutely sure it was in 1st? If it was in a higher gear it won't shift unless the bike is moving.

MT
VBA 936

Old 01-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Clutch is stuck.

The clutch plates can stick. Try working the clutch several times. You did bleed the system, you may still have air in the line.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Clutch is stuck.

How cold is it, How cold has it been? How long since it was last ridden?

With the side stand UP, and the clutch helld IN, and the ft brake held rather well, get it started. Let it warm up a bit holding all this. Then let go of the brake and ride 3 feet to stop, then shift to neutral.

Let it warm up more if it is colder. The oil makes 'sticktion' and that will bind the clutch with cold oil. There is a oil wet clutch and they get sticky cold. many plates bond to other many plates.

Fill in year make model and what bloomin state you live in

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #6

Clutch is stuck.

You say you just changed the clutch fluid, was the clutch working OK before you changed and bleed it? If so and it has not been too long since you last ran the bike, I would be more inclined think your problem is related to the fluid change and not sticking discs. I never have had much problem with the Nomad clutch sticking from lack of use, but I had a V-star that would jump and stall when first popping the bike in gear when it sat around too long. Working the clutch lever and rocking the bike back and forth in gear a few times would unstick the discs.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-05-2011, 12:59 AM   #7

Clutch is stuck.

Like MT says you should be able to shift it by hand, not running and without the clutch, you may have to rock the bike but it should allow the shifter to move up and down. If it is tight and not moving, you could have a transmision problem.
You may also have a clutch problem but that may be a seperate issue.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-05-2011, 05:22 AM   #8

Clutch is stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
How cold is it, How cold has it been? How long since it was last ridden?

With the side stand UP, and the clutch helld IN, and the ft brake held rather well, get it started. Let it warm up a bit holding all this. Then let go of the brake and ride 3 feet to stop, then shift to neutral.

Let it warm up more if it is colder. The oil makes 'sticktion' and that will bind the clutch with cold oil. There is a oil wet clutch and they get sticky cold. many plates bond to other many plates.

Fill in year make model and what bloomin state you live in
I cannot start it in gear because clutch is not disengaged, bike just moves forward.
I am NE Florida, 60-65F.
I don't know how long the bike was sitting on parking lot w/o riding before I bought it. Seller started engine but it was not ridable because of non releasing clutch. (I bought it very cheap)
I didn't use sand paper for cleaning master cylinder, maybe it has internal leak. Fluid was dirty.
I can shift 1st to neutral when engine is not running, so hopefully transmission is OK.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Clutch is stuck.

Can you start the bike when it shifts from first to neutral? Did you change the engine oil? Rear end oil? If you didn't you might want to do those two things, get some fresh oil in the engine and rear end.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 01-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #10

Clutch is stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
Can you start the bike when it shifts from first to neutral? Did you change the engine oil? Rear end oil? If you didn't you might want to do those two things, get some fresh oil in the engine and rear end.
It starts in neutral. I changed engine oil and flushed it with ATF. I was running engine at least 5 min with ATF added.
I didn't change oil in rear end, it shouldn't be a problem because bike is moving OK, when I push it, rear end is not stuck.
I am going to remove slave cylinder w/o removing hose, attach C clamp to hold piston and pump lever. I will see if slave cylinder is leaking or master cyl has internal leak.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Clutch is stuck.

Once the engine warms up for 10 minutes or so, what does it do when you try to shift the gears? I would allow the engine to get hot and then try to get it moving.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 01-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #12

Clutch is stuck.

What does the clutch lever feel like? Is it easy to pull in and feel a little sloppy like it is not doing much? Is it really hard to pull in?
You could make sure the slave cylinder is working by unbolting it, keeping the piston captive with a slightly loose C clamp and working the clutch lever.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #13

Clutch is stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car5car
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
It starts in neutral. I changed engine oil and flushed it with ATF. I was running engine at least 5 min with ATF added.
I didn't change oil in rear end, it shouldn't be a problem because bike is moving OK, when I push it, rear end is not stuck.
I am going to remove slave cylinder w/o removing hose, attach C clamp to hold piston and pump lever. I will see if slave cylinder is leaking or master cyl has internal leak.
Ha too funny, Car5car
You were thinking the same as me, only you obviously type faster.
You could take this one step further and check the movement of the piston and see if it operates smoothly. Have a helper apply pressure to the clutch lever and you unscrew the C clamp a few turns, release pressure, retract the piston, etc.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #14

Clutch is stuck.

Also check the clutch rod and see if you can move it. Try pulling it out a little. It could be stuck.

MT
VBA 936

Old 01-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #15

Clutch is stuck.

If the master cylinder is leaking internally, it will cause what CNC and MT are saying. make sure the clutch rod moves as they said.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951