Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
TFI and Mileage

Yesterday Dave D and I took a nice 300 mile (for me) ride over two separate mountain ranges and beautiful meadows in Southern Cal's mid 70's fall weather. Rode with 4 other guys.

Last year I installed the Techlusion TFI like many others because my bike would ping on premium really bad in warm weather. I decided to tune it to run regular gas which I did.

Never had much of an "issue" other than the mileage went in the tank. My final settings, which I guess I forgot were 3:15, 6:30, 9,1

At this setting I could run regular gas. My city mileage went to 30 in the city and 35 or 36 on the highway. My low fuel light would start to glow anywhere from 125 to 140 miles into a tank of gas. After some "close calls" in almost running out of gas, yesterday I decided to tune the TFI to run premium without ping.

I went to gadget's site and saw that a 1500 Nomad with open air cleaner and V&H pipes was running much leaner settings than mine. I guess all bikes are different but mine needed to run much higher settings but then again I am running regular.

Before I took off yesterday I set the pots to 2:15, 3, 9, 1 gassed up with premium and took off. First tank was 42MPG and the last tank was 40MPG and this was with a big rear tire that is making the odometer read 3% slow, so I probably averaged 42. This while riding up and over 2 mountain ranges riding kind of quickly through the twisties! Dave had his Ultra keeping up just fine!

I now can go about 170 miles before the yellow light kicks on and have extended my tank's range about 25 miles. I think I'm going to leave it set for premium because of the near misses in running out of fuel!

Dave's Harley still gets better mileage. I gassed up a little over 160 miles with 4.004 gallons and Dave's ultra took 3.6!!! Must be nice Dave!! Our buddies we rode with on Victory motorcycles said riding to Laughlin they all got over 50MPG's....... Now MaKaw why is that?????

Anyway, you can get good mileage with the TFI if you want to run premium. Set for regular I can't see anyone riding in the city getting nothing but low MPG's

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Top Contributor

TFI and Mileage

Good info BD.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #3

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
TFI and Mileage

On my 'O6 1600, I had mine set to 2:30 5:30 1 & 9:00 burning regular. I wasted money and had it dyno'd and thats what the s-head "Tech" came up with. Not far from where I had it set. The best mpg I could get out of her was 35. You know I wreck that one and got a '07 1600. I still use regular and have the same settings but now I'm getting about 40 mpg up hill, down hill, one up, two up.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 10-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
Top Contributor

TFI and Mileage

Brad, that's pretty close to where my settings ended up after the ride home from Custer if you remember that old post....the one where I admitted I thought Mac might have been senile or something before finally getting 40mpg myself with the TFI tuned in that way......I am getting the same mileage.......why didn't you listen to ole' todd a few months back...................kids these days.........uh, wait, yur older than me!!! :)

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 10-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

TFI and Mileage

You sayin' I'm a slooooow learner? I can't use these settings and run regular thats for sure!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #6

TFI and Mileage

BD, those are the same settings I've been using with the same mpg. Since I added the Cobra pipes, I get just a slight ping in 5th when I roll it on.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #7

TFI and Mileage

Brad, How did dropping from 6:30 to 3 on pot #2 affect your hard throttle acceleration?

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 10-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

TFI and Mileage

Weird how it is... TC showed up and we filled up... We split, with him headed to Maine after riding "My Mountains" , I rode on a ways from there to get home, and I hadn't seen my yellow light all summer, so figured i would ride till it came on, and it came on at 189 miles to flicker and go out. Next gas station I got gas.

I run 87 oct and only that... I wonder what I might get with 93 oct???
The normal for that light on my bike is 178, so that bit extra seems signifigant to me anyway.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
Advanced Member

TFI and Mileage

I don't have the TFI I have a Cobra F2000 but I set mine up so it just barely pings with Regular. With the trailer it will ping like crazy - but I only run Premium! I get way better mileage with premium and it doesn't seem to run hot? I tried to set it up so it didn't ping on regular but never could get the MPG all that good. That's when for sh*ts and giggles I tired the premium thing with the best set up on regular - and it works!

Old 10-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

TFI and Mileage

It hardly affected it at all Mitch. Wow 189 mac, thats fantastic!

Member # 0005

Old 10-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
Top Contributor

TFI and Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
You sayin' I'm a slooooow learner? I can't use these settings and run regular thats for sure!

hehehe......maybe ;) ;) ;)

I find that 89 or 93 octane get me a little further too...so the cost evens out. my second pot is around 4 so a little higher than yours.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 10-05-2009, 02:06 AM   #12
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
TFI and Mileage

With the exception of a couple times, where I ran 89 oct., I've always stayed with 90+, usually 92oct. and done alright. Here is a post I did when Voyager asked what my numbers were on the TFI,.....

Kevin,
I did the adjustments like I said I was going to do.
#1 pot to 2:30
#2 pot to 5:00
#3 pot at 1:00
#4 pot to 8:30 - 8:00

the performance is great. I did an exact calculation and converted kms. to miles and ltrs. to Imp. gal.
I did one mileage check doing mostly around town, to the store and to work, .....and a little hwy riding {not much} total 106 kms. done for this check. Came out with 36 mpg. average from what I understand and have read.
The other mileage check I did was to fill the tank and hit the Hwy, set the cruise at 110 kms. per hour..... I traveled about 40 kms. on the #1 Hwy. turned around and headed back for a total of 80.7 kms. That trip worked out to ....if you can believe it,......50 mpg.
I was thrilled to say the least, but didn't believe it until I converted everything again and redid the math. But it all came out the same. I don't know if I believe it yet. But for the time being.... I'm a happy guy

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 10-05-2009, 02:15 AM   #13
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
TFI and Mileage

I think you made a comment about my abilities to do the math

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 10-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #14

TFI and Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Weird how it is... TC showed up and we filled up... We split, with him headed to Maine after riding "My Mountains" , I rode on a ways from there to get home, and I hadn't seen my yellow light all summer, so figured i would ride till it came on, and it came on at 189 miles to flicker and go out. Next gas station I got gas.

I run 87 oct and only that... I wonder what I might get with 93 oct???
The normal for that light on my bike is 178, so that bit extra seems signifigant to me anyway.
Here's the reason. When Mac rode with me I was holding him back to a reasonable pace He probably gets on the gas more if riding by himself. ;)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #15
Sr. Contributor

TFI and Mileage

Nuther odd thing occured..

The past few days i have been out riding with Flavor and friends of his, also Radco and friends of his.

Flavors bike is one i set up with RH exhaust, TFI, and a right side only Caddman.

His TFI is of the more modern variety, one that no yellow and green lights will work unless pot 4 is over 4:00 to 9:00. My light swork below these settings. So whole TFI doesn't say anything about this there has to be some difference.

So what does Flavor do buy signal to me to come get gassed up off his card. I fight some, and loose, get the gas and we all go the same places.

A point comes where I know we already went 90 miles or so, and everyone want to go other places thru town I know don't have any gas.. No gas fer love or money period, so reccomend since we are going there and then comeing back thru other roads with no gas we all fuel up.

Well Flavor pulls his stunt again, taking on 2.6 gallons and I take on 2.2. In under 100 miles this is signifigant too, and other than my V&H bagger verus his RH set up our bike should be a real close match.

We were all in the same group, so how does one rider varry that much from the next?

Most of the time these past days I rode as close to last as I could. I prefer riding sweep anyway.

(OT) NH has newly paved roads and we hit brief showers yesterday on places.. Man I don't like the feel of new road surfaces with water a bit..

Can't say I like new paved surfaces in the first place. Just not anything I ever got to ride. Most of the time NH roads are more like WW-2 bombed out roads which I know how to ride.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it