In Association with VBA Web : Memorial | Merchandise

Important Info : Please Read!
If this is your first visit to our new forum (est. 9.20.11) and you're already registered on the old forum, you'll have to request a new password in order to log in here. To do so, please Click Here and fill in the proper info. You must use the email address that you originally registered with on the old forum. You will then be emailed a new password (if you don't see it, please check your spam/junk folder). If you have any problems at all, please email us at mail@VulcanBagger.com. Thanks!

Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic > Lighter Side/Jokes
Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 11:43 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Tailgating Safety

I ride with the Blue Knights and we have rules that we follow on group rides that keep us out of trouble. I always wear my colors too and that really keeps me honest when riding alone because I don't want to give them a bad name.

As for the floorboards, mine must be lower than Wolfman's because they scrape a lot.

I can really tell that my skill level has improved a lot in the last 5 years. I found myself on the wrong side of a curve that first year and was thankful that no one was coming the other direction. Now I am very careful when riding with others to gauge their skill level and not exceed that level because I don't want to get anyone hurt. It is too easy for riders to get caught up in the ride and not back off the throttle. I know that from experience when I had some white knuckle rides myself trying to keep up with others. I will not do that again. We need to look out for others so that we all go home safe at the end of the day.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter
Old 10-16-2007, 06:53 AM   #17

Tailgating Safety

Quote:
[quote:rw9r8tik] autopsies have shown that a good portion of people who die in a crashes usually die from their aorta being torn near the heart. The other external trauma contributes but is normally secondary.
At age 62 he started riding again after approx 25-30 year hiatus. He bought a goldwing. Shortly after he got it he went on a ride with me and my hubbie. He was bringing up the rear and I noticed he was going wide on curves and turns. I told my hubbie and he tactfully got our friend to ride behind him and let me bring up the rear after they chatted. We kept the pace down for our friend's riding experience and comfort.

Sadly.....about a month later he was out riding with his young nephew who is a very experienced rider.....our friend was trying to keep up and took a curve way to wide and hit a car coming from the other direction. Nephew said Bob was talking on the scene but complained of chest pain. Helicopter called to scene. He died in the helicopter before ever getting to the trauma center. It broke our hearts.

Sorry.....I went on so much....it's been 2 years and I still miss him so. It makes me still tell people to ride in your own comfort zone not someone else's. I know one time I pulled out from a group after I looked down and saw 93 mph on my speedo I told them that was enough for me. Two others pulled out with me and admitted they had got caught up in the adrenaline.[/quote:rw9r8tik]

WOW. That is a story from the heart. I posted a thread in the motorcycle safety section of this forum and had a coworker review it. He pointed out that I needed to add a section of how the rider's experience or experience on the bike they were riding at the time played a big role in the crash. A girl who hit a speed limit sign had a bike that was beyond her ability and only a couple months old. She had a motorcycle learner's permit. She was trying to "keep up" with the pack she was riding with.

When I first bought my Nomad I found myself taking a couple of turns wide on a two lane road. I had little experience on "that bike" and I had my wife on the back. Luckily nobody was coming the other way but it scared me. I literally took the bike out on my own and practiced my skills both in a parking lot (figure 8's and stuff) and then alone on a curvey roadway. I thought about basic skill things such as entering a turn "outside-inside-outside" and off the throttle going in to the turn and accelerate the throttle going out. I've had a motorcycle license since I was 16 and ridden 5 different bikes extensively on the road. I am now 43. Riding outside your comfort zone is anyhing but "fun" riding.

You guys recognized the skill level of your friend. His young nephew did not have the "life experience" to understand. :( Ironically, that event may have prevented the future death of his nephew on a motorcycle.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:49 AM   #18

Tailgating Safety

DUI - I went and looked at the thread under the safety board you were refering to.....very well put...thanks for sharing.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing
Old 10-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #19
Top Contributor

Tailgating Safety

Unwind, your story really touched me as I can understand the agony of the nephew and the family. I'm glad the wife told him to keep riding.

I appreciate the stories and the safety conversation from everyone here. I returned to riding when I bought my '05 and didn't buy the bike until I took the MSF course. But that still can't prepare us for daily driving. Living near Dallas, I see what you see WM and Todd with people jumping in and out of lanes without so much as looking or even thinking about who is around them. It's amazing that more of us don't get hurt.

I understand trying to keep up with people or taking curves at the same speed as experienced riders. I followed a guy once into a curve that he took at 70 and I took at 50 because I quickly realized I wouldn't make it. But had it not been for other riders in my area like you guys, I wouldn't have learned from their experience. So, all that being said, let's keep riding safe.

And I'm buying one of those horns!
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 10-16-2007, 12:26 PM   #20

Tailgating Safety

I have to share this with you...

If you love or care about any one who is significant in your life, you should always try to part on good terms or with kind words...regardless of how insignificant the task before you or them is going to be. Celebrate your marriage with a hug and kiss :-* or friendship with a hug or handshake. And always...with a patented smile of your choice. :) ;)

An example, my shadow crossed the doorway of a home where the young husband and wife had previously been arguing over who was going to have to go out to the 7-11 to get milk for their children's morning breakfast. It was about 10 pm at night. The wife went and was killed in a crash within a mile of the residence. The crash was not her fault. We showed up and the husband immediately stated that "it" should have been him...he should have went to the store...he shouldn't have made her go out...yahta yahta yahta. People live forever with parting words and circumstances.

My two daughters, who are now 21 and 23, call me corny every time they leave our home because I act like they are leaving forever. Sadly, in my line of work I see unexpected tragedy all the time.

Fact being...we were assured one thing the day we were born and that is that someday we will die. Just like when we were born, we do not know the date or time. Therefore my friends, live every moment as if it were going to be your last. I see a lot of people who did not have "die" on their list of things to do today. This may sound stupid but, I always find myself wondering what worries they had just let go or what tasks were no longer important to them. At that point...none of it no longer matters.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #21

Tailgating Safety

At least he was wearing his gear!