Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 05-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #1

My car tire impressions- for real

I got a car tire put on my bike on Monday. It's an Sp 500. I also got a cobra front tire at the same time.

Previous to getting it on, I drove through a puddle with the bike tire on, turned nearly floor board scraping tight, and stopped and took a picture of a tape measure laid across the wet track.

I then went through a series of slalom turns while video taping it.

On the day I got the car tire, I did the exact same turns with the camera in the exact same place just to be able to compare.

I also measured that if you lock the rear tire and keep it locked with the bike tire, I stopped in 15 feet, from 15mph. I'll try the exact same place with the car tire just for comparison. I'm expecting the car tire to stop shorter.

I haven't gone back to drive through a puddle and measure yet with the car tire though. I'll repeat the Solomon later with some more experience with the tire. When I'm done, I'll put together a video montage and post it.

But here's my impression now while the contrast is sharp and clear. The car tire behaves very differently, though it could be gotten used to.

On fast back and forth turns like in a slalom, you can feel the tire ride from edge, to flat, to edge. Kind of like it levers a little as it gets on edge. Nothing that you couldn't get used to, but its certainly there. A bike tire doesn't do that. It feels the same no matter where in the arc you are.

The biggest difference is on ridges and troughs in the pavement like you find coming up to red lights where car tracks compact the pavement and leaves ridges and depressions. The car tire follows those in a manner I never felt with a bike tire. It steers the bike from the rear. You can feel it move you over, but starting from the rear, not the front. It's a very weird feeling, that isn't particularly nice. I really wish that it didn't do that. I don't think that the nomad will go on dirt roads as well with the car tire, but that might not be a bummer for most riders.

So I'm still not drinking the cult cool aide and saying that there is no difference, or it's better. It's worse, but it can be gotten used to and compensated for I'm sure. It might be worth the extra miles, I don't know. But if money were no object, I'd keep getting bike tires for sure. They do perform better if you don't count mileage.

Now don't all you cult members start stoning me, I'm just calling it like I see it :)

When I get a video together, I'll post it in this thread if I get it in the next couple of weeks. If it takes longer, I'll start a new thread. I'll amend the title to say video if it's this one.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #2

What pressure are you running in it? I don't notice any difference in handling, but I do agree about uneven pavement the tire wants to track in.

Dennis "Master Mac" McHenry
VROC#880, VBA#673, DarkSide#273
'15 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
'05 Vulcan 1600 Nomad (Left the nest)
'02 Vulcan 1500 Classic Fi (RIP)
'95 Vulcan 750, (Retired)
Houston/Klien, Tx

Old 05-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #3

Holy Christ Dan, are you out of your mind. When you go to the DarkSide you are not allowed to bad mouth the results. You are supposed to say it is the best thing since sliced bread.
It is blasphemy of the highest degree. You will have car tire guys knocking on your door and threatening you.
Please, for your own good, delete your post. ;)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #4

very interesting !
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 05-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Top Contributor

What kind of pressure are you running? I started out running 44 psi and never noticed any sensation of "going up on the edge." I'm running 28 psi now and don't get that feeling either at this pressure.

P.S. I quit drinking Kool Aid when I was a little kid.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #6

Dan; I figure youll have to try different air pressures in the tire to see where it feels best.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #7

Dan, Thanks for the objective evaluation. It will be interesting to hear your impressions as you get use to the tire. I've been watching your threads with interest as you seem to have an analytical mind and an interest in finding the truth [oops, no flame intended darksiders].

Yes, I'll take some of that Kool Aide right after you drink yours!
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 05-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #8

Dan, my nomad had a SP on when i bought it used. (also have an '01 for the last five years with mc tires) The ct had about 2000 miles on it when i got it and the previious owner had run it at 36#. After a month or so, i dropped it to 34# and the handling was far better, although it wasnt a handful before. Gonna drop it to 32# in a couple weeks and see how it works for me. Being relatively new to the darkside, i did notice some of the 'getting used to', which was no problem. The seasoned darksiders would suggest breaking in a new ct for 3-600 miles before reducing the pressure to find the sweet spot for you. It has something to do with the compound or material the tire is made of for the break in. If you visit the darkside forum on delphi, you will find in more detail what i have been trying to explain. Keep us posted on your results. good lluck, chuck

Old 05-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
Advanced Member

thanks for your post, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what your opinions are after a little more time on the CT. I'm just curious, I have no desire to run a CT on my bike so I'm just interested in your opinions out of curiousity.

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Old 05-08-2010, 01:27 AM   #10
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
Holy Christ Dan, are you out of your mind. When you go to the DarkSide you are not allowed to bad mouth the results. You are supposed to say it is the best thing since sliced bread.
It is blasphemy of the highest degree. You will have car tire guys knocking on your door and threatening you.
Please, for your own good, delete your post. ;)
Some people would complain if they were going to be hung with a new rope, TC.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-08-2010, 05:37 AM   #11

Give it a little time. After a certain point the tire will break in and you'll notice that it really does feel like it disappeared.

My first CT (Federal) fully broke in at about 600 miles. The second (Continental Vanco 8) took about 1000 miles to totally break in.

It's one of those cartoon light bulb moments.

MT
VBA 936

Old 05-08-2010, 07:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
I got a car tire put on my bike on Monday. It's an Sp 500. I also got a cobra front tire at the same time.

Previous to getting it on, I drove through a puddle with the bike tire on, turned nearly floor board scraping tight, and stopped and took a picture of a tape measure laid across the wet track.

I then went through a series of slalom turns while video taping it.

On the day I got the car tire, I did the exact same turns with the camera in the exact same place just to be able to compare.

I also measured that if you lock the rear tire and keep it locked with the bike tire, I stopped in 15 feet, from 15mph. I'll try the exact same place with the car tire just for comparison. I'm expecting the car tire to stop shorter.

I haven't gone back to drive through a puddle and measure yet with the car tire though. I'll repeat the Solomon later with some more experience with the tire. When I'm done, I'll put together a video montage and post it.

But here's my impression now while the contrast is sharp and clear. The car tire behaves very differently, though it could be gotten used to.

On fast back and forth turns like in a slalom, you can feel the tire ride from edge, to flat, to edge. Kind of like it levers a little as it gets on edge. Nothing that you couldn't get used to, but its certainly there. A bike tire doesn't do that. It feels the same no matter where in the arc you are.

The biggest difference is on ridges and troughs in the pavement like you find coming up to red lights where car tracks compact the pavement and leaves ridges and depressions. The car tire follows those in a manner I never felt with a bike tire. It steers the bike from the rear. You can feel it move you over, but starting from the rear, not the front. It's a very weird feeling, that isn't particularly nice. I really wish that it didn't do that. I don't think that the nomad will go on dirt roads as well with the car tire, but that might not be a bummer for most riders.

So I'm still not drinking the cult cool aide and saying that there is no difference, or it's better. It's worse, but it can be gotten used to and compensated for I'm sure. It might be worth the extra miles, I don't know. But if money were no object, I'd keep getting bike tires for sure. They do perform better if you don't count mileage.

Now don't all you cult members start stoning me, I'm just calling it like I see it :)

When I get a video together, I'll post it in this thread if I get it in the next couple of weeks. If it takes longer, I'll start a new thread. I'll amend the title to say video if it's this one.
This whole story is very hard to believe! You must be running 50 lbs of pressure or more and you still will not get the car tire on it's edge!!
The side wall gives on a car so I don't know what you are feeling when you say, "you can feel the tire ride from edge, to flat, to edge. Kind of like it levers a little as it gets on edge".
Also, the tar snakes will disappear not get worse!
Hey, just my findings and I have been on the dark side for over a year! The bike handles GREAT!
My bike is a a cruiser not a sport bike regardless of what tire I ride.

The best 'GPS' is a full tank of gas!

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Old 05-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooker
This whole story is very hard to believe! You must be running 50 lbs of pressure or more and you still will not get the car tire on it's edge!!
The side wall gives on a car so I don't know what you are feeling when you say, "you can feel the tire ride from edge, to flat, to edge. Kind of like it levers a little as it gets on edge".
Also, the tar snakes will disappear not get worse!
Hey, just my findings and I have been on the dark side for over a year! The bike handles GREAT!
My bike is a a cruiser not a sport bike regardless of what tire I ride.
Not hard to believe at all. When I first put the CT on the bike I had the exact same impression and was not sure that I would like it. Actually could feel the edges when I rode on a smooth city street and wandered back and forth in my lane. I'm still at the same pressure and don't notice it anymore. The bike does track a little funny at those stops where the pavement is rutted up.

By the way Dan, I ride my Nomad on dirt roads to get to my fav fishing holes with no problem. I think you will be okay.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 05-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #14

Dan think your post is great. The CT cult, which I belong to, is made up of many personalities but none live close enough to pose any danger.

Anyway Dan............ As many have said there is a force your working against coming off the flat part of the tire in the beginning. I don't remember when I forgot that I had a car tire on the rear, but I now have about 7 thousand miles on my tire with no sign of wear. I run about 35 pounds of pressure.

I will never go back to a motorcycle tire on the nomad.

PS. If you only ride a couple of thousand miles a year, a motorcycle tire getting low mileage shouldn't be an issue because you're not paying for a tire that often as well as the work involved in changing it. (IMPO)
Let us know how you feel after about 1000 miles on the tire.

IF you still don't like it if that's what you are saying??????????? I won't hold it against you.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #15

Kudos Dan. Figure if anyone could make this comparrison, and still have the nads to post it, it would be you, and you did. What you say is all right on, so one must take it as it comes, see for themselves. I am a Darksider, and I actually like the Car tire feel, but thats just me. Dam good post Dan.