Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #16

Mine got there today. From the time it shows delivered to the time they called me and said it was done was less then 3 hours. That is fast service. It has cost me around $35 for shipping both ways. That's not bad to me for all that they do.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT - Traded
2002 Honda CB250 Nighthawk - Sold

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-05-2017, 12:34 PM   #17

WOW is quick and the Ivan's saga goes on. He is amazing anyone who does not get this done sure is missing out makes it a bike I did not purchase. It makes it a whole new bike the Ivan's ECU is totally amazing. I can not imagine what the new update does can not wait to get it done this fall.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #18

I sent mine out last Wednesday and got it back yesterday. Put it back in and took it for a short ride.
I don't know all of the details of what Ivan tweaked in the update but I noticed that the RPM's don't fluctuate like they did before on cold start up. 1300-1400 and then settles down after a couple of minutes to just under 1000 like it did stock.
In the original version of Ivan's tune there was still a little bit of "jerkiness" from the throttle body abruptly closing and opening at low throttle input. This is even more improved in the current version.
Power at WOT seems improved but my butt dyno may be giving me false readings.
I have V&H twin, slash cut, dual slip ons. I noticed that the bike seemed to be a little quieter when I had the original tune done and it seems it has become even quieter with the latest update. Not complaining about it, just an observation. Overall I am very happy with what Ivan has done and the bike is running better than ever before. Thank you Ivan!

2012 Vaquero
Ray's throttle mod
K&N filter
Thunder gasket
Ivan's ECU
Mustang seat
Vance & Hines Slip Ons
VBA#02709

Old 05-11-2017, 04:50 PM   #19

Received my updated ECU today and will put in tonight, ride and report back. Can someone give me a refresher on reinstalling it? I think it's plug in with battery disconnected, connect battery, then turn on ignition, turn off ignition and turn it right back on. Am I right?

Old 05-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #20
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
Received my updated ECU today and will put in tonight, ride and report back. Can someone give me a refresher on reinstalling it? I think it's plug in with battery disconnected, connect battery, then turn on ignition, turn off ignition and turn it right back on. Am I right?
turn on the ign. get error code then disconnect neg. terminal for 5 seconds then reinstall

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #21

Glad I asked.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #22
Advanced Member

Quote:
Glad I asked.
LOL must have been a while, I'll be waiting to hear your results after the new flash- I hav'nt read about a lot of people doing the re-flash.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:34 PM   #23
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ivan can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think after the initial install of the flashed ECU you can remove and install it without going through the battery disconnect thing. Just plug in and go.
I've had mine out a few times, swapped back and forth between stock ECU and flashed ECU without ever disconnecting the battery or getting an error code. I carry the stock ECU with me, on far north trips there is no premium fuel so gotta plug the stocker back in.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:44 PM   #24

Well I took it out for a 45 minute ride tonight and I agree with everything Shortfuse 223 said. No hunting at cold startup and I think maybe the idle came down a little quicker. I felt like it's more powerful all through the rev range, but my butt is hardly an accurate Dyno. I'll be interested to read others impressions as they come in. Low speed cruising is definitely smoother. The first re-flash was a huge improvement but this takes it a step further. Glad I had it done. Oh, when I first turned it on I did get the error code and had to disconnect and reconnect the battery to clear it.

Last edited by terryd; 05-14-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:06 AM   #25

Just got mine back from you this week. Added Cobra Slip-ons and a Roaring Toyz Air Intake. Rode it last night for the first time and WOW! Awesome! Thanks Ivan! What a difference!
Roaring Toyz Air Intake
Klock Werks 9" Smoked Windshield

Old 05-24-2017, 04:54 PM   #26

Put the ECU back in the bike and put 30 miles on it after Ivan's flash. No question it runs better. No popping on deceleration. Much smoother thru the gears and smother acceleration in all the gears, including 6th gear. I would also say it accelerates FASTER in all the gears too. I sent it out USPS last Friday and Fedex dropped it of today around noon. Would I recommend it ??
YES I WOULD, especially if you have upgraded the exhaust.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd292 View Post
I would also say it accelerates FASTER in all the gears too.
For mine that would be a gross understatement. My Nomad was a dog before the flash. It was like going from 1700cc to 2000cc with no gain in weight. It's the most dramatic gain in performance from any modification I've ever experienced. And I've modified every bike I've owned in some way or another.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #28

Has anyone tried a lower octane with the latest flash update?

Old 06-09-2017, 10:25 AM   #29

[QUOTE=terryd;686532]Has anyone tried a lower octane with the latest flash update?[/QUOTE
Before the original flash I was using mid grade 89 octane top tier fuel even though the book calls for a min of 90. 89 was working just fine. I always try to use top tier fuel too. After the flash I started to use premium 93 octane. I was getting some pinging though. And, at 60+ mph in 6th gear if I needed to accelerate, I had to come down a gear or two to avoid the pining. No so after the update. Since the update I've been using ethanol free 90 octane. I'm not getting any pinging and the idle seems to be more stable, of course here in Georgia in doesn't get under 60 degrees in my garage this time of year. And, in that 60+ mph situation when I need to accelerate, I can do it in 6th without any pining. So, a long story short, I'm quite pleased with the update. Oh yeah, When I first put the ECU back in and started it up, I got the "ERROR" message with the red FI light. No throttle response either. I immediately turned it off and started looking for something to kick. Scared the B-Jesus out of me. Started it back up and no message, no FI light, everything normal. Happy, happy, happy.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #30

[QUOTE=Pilot747;686622]
Quote:
Has anyone tried a lower octane with the latest flash update?[/QUOTE
Before the original flash I was using mid grade 89 octane top tier fuel even though the book calls for a min of 90. 89 was working just fine. I always try to use top tier fuel too. After the flash I started to use premium 93 octane. I was getting some pinging though. And, at 60+ mph in 6th gear if I needed to accelerate, I had to come down a gear or two to avoid the pining. No so after the update. Since the update I've been using ethanol free 90 octane. I'm not getting any pinging and the idle seems to be more stable, of course here in Georgia in doesn't get under 60 degrees in my garage this time of year. And, in that 60+ mph situation when I need to accelerate, I can do it in 6th without any pining. So, a long story short, I'm quite pleased with the update. Oh yeah, When I first put the ECU back in and started it up, I got the "ERROR" message with the red FI light. No throttle response either. I immediately turned it off and started looking for something to kick. Scared the B-Jesus out of me. Started it back up and no message, no FI light, everything normal. Happy, happy, happy.
Here in Iowa I have precisely two options for fuel, 87 octane or 91. I've never seen 90 anywhere. I wish 89 was still available because I suspect with the new flash it would run fine with it and maybe improve mileage a bit. My biggest beef with this bike is the gas mileage. Even after the flash I never get better than 35 mpg. My wife's new Honda Civic does better than that and that's with a turbo charged engine. These new Civics BTW, are seriously fun cars.