Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthEast Group

Old 03-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
Top Contributor

3 ride routes for the Helen Rally

Posted here is a map routing and description of the original ride posted by dkdixie.

Also, there are two possible alternate rides for your consideration.

Since some people have expressed an interest in visiting Brasstown Bald and not riding the "Tail of the Dragon" these two alternate routes are aimed at this interest.

Check them out.

Helen Rally Rides

#1. dkdixies’ route:

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...r/share/206881

This route is the original one dkdixie posted. It is about 282 miles with a ride time of about 7.5 hours.

This time does not include stops for lunch and photo opportunities at the scenic outlooks.

This route leaves Helen to the West and takes the Richard B. Russell Scenic HWY to US-129. From there it follows US 129 through Blairsville, GA on into North Carolina where US-64, NC-294 and TN-123 lead into Tennessee to TN-68. TN-68 is taken north to Tellico Plains and the beginning of the Cherohala Skyway.

The Cherohala Skyway winds for over 45 miles over the tops of the mountains to Robbinsville, NC.

http://www.cherohala.com/

Robbinsville is one possible place for lunch. Deals Gap Resort, which is the next stop, is also a good choice for lunch. They have a pretty good BBQ sandwich and fries as well as some other choices.

The ride continues north on US-129 to Deals Gap Resort. This is the beginning point of the “Tail of the Dragon” for those who want to experience the challenge. Those who choose to ride the Dragon will most likely make the 11 mile run to the north and then return back to Deals Gap.

http://www.dealsgap.com/

From here the ride continues to the southeast on TN-28 to Franklin, NC where TN-64 will head southwest towards Hiawassee, GA. The ride will go south from Hiawassee and then head east over Lookout Mountain Scenic Hwy. (This is not the better know Lookout Mt. in Chattanooga) Then GA-197 will be taken south through some valleys following some picturesque streams. Finally, GA-356, also known as the Lovell-Wikle Scenic Hwy will be taken west past the Unicoi State Park , back into Helen and to the Hampton Inn where cold beer will be awaiting the weary bikers.

#2. North Georgia Mountains Ride

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...r/share/206894

This is a shorter option for those who don’t want to ride either the Cherohala Skyway or the Dragon.

This ride is about 185 miles with a ride time of about 5 3/4 hours, not including stops and will mostly remain in Georgia with the exception of a swing up through Highlands, NC.

The main features of this ride are the Richard B. Russell Scenic Hwy, Wolf Pen Gap RD/GA-180, Brasstown Bald (the highest point in GA), Dillard, GA – the home of the Dillard House and a great place to stop for lunch.

http://www.dillardhouse.com/

From Dillard the ride will head northeast past Sky Valley, GA (the only ski resort in the state) and on to Highlands, NC. From there NC-28 will be taken south into GA and to Warwoman Rd which will be followed back to Clayton, GA. From there, the ride proceeds through Tiger, GA on down to GA-356, west past Unicoi State Park and back into Helen where the cold beer is waiting at the Hampton Inn.

#3. Cherohala and Brasstown Bald – a modification of the dkdixie ride:

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...r/share/206917

This route is the same as the dkdixie route from Helen, up to Tellico Plains and across the Cherohala Skyway to Robbinsville, NC.

From this point the ride heads south from Robbinsville rather than north to Deals Gap and the Dragon. This route will take several interesting roads eventually coming to Brasstown Bald. From there the route leads back to Helen and the Hampton Inn.

This ride would be for those who want to ride the Cherohala Skyway and would also like to see Brasstown Bald but have no interest in riding the Dragon.

This route totals about 225 miles and has a ride time of about 6 hours. (not including stops of course)

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #2

Nice work on the ride routes...

Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...
???................ ???............... ???

Old 03-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to dabull

bob...nice job on the routes bro...appreciate the effort.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #4

Thanks for posting these. I think you should change this into a poll and we will chose that way.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 03-27-2009, 06:50 AM   #5

I like the one with cold beer at the end.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #6

Decision made...I'll take door #2..

Old 03-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to dabull

wait a sec....somebody plying a trick? i thought they ALL had cold beer at the end??

Old 03-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #8

Hey I thought I wanted to follow Dixie, but it sounds like Bob knows his way around this area pretty well also! (I nominate Bob to lead the ride and I'll be in charge of the weather)haha Sounds like taking a poll is the best idea I've heard. But what ever we do decide we need to get it in writing pretty quickly times a runnin out! [GOOSE]
2003 Bandit 1200
CMA GateKeepers, Southern Cruisers#034, Patriot Guard Rider

Old 03-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #9

if you not dressed for the dragon beware. can get kinda chilly and wet! lets hope not

Old 03-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #10

hey goose, tell them about it you live near there.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #11

Thanks for all the hard work on the route mapping. I'm not sure what the selection process is, this is our first rally. We have done the skyway and the dragon a couple of times so option # 2 sounds good to me. (more relaxed) If you have not been to the Dillard House it's well worth it.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #12

+1 ... Good points Vincent..

And yes, thanks for the work to make this happen.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose
Hey I thought I wanted to follow Dixie, but it sounds like Bob knows his way around this area pretty well also! (I nominate Bob to lead the ride and I'll be in charge of the weather)haha Sounds like taking a poll is the best idea I've heard. But what ever we do decide we need to get it in writing pretty quickly times a runnin out! [GOOSE]
Actually, Dick (dkdixie) knows these roads a bunch better than me. Most of what I know about them he has shown to me.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006

Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Bob you and DK are doing a great job for the group I wish I could be there for the fun that is instore for all of you.
ride safe.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #15
Top Contributor

Hey everybody. After looking at the three ride proposals go to this poll and vote on which one you would like to do. Thanks.

Click here for the poll

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006