Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #16

I will ride into November here, then when I see the salt truck on the road I put the bike away for the winter. I do nothing except for having a full tank of gas to prevent rust in the tank. In the spring I change the oil, charge the battery and ride.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #17

Snow, winterize, unheated garages, rodents living in your pipes, sitting on your bike making motorcycle noises, tearing up waiting for warm weather... Move! Point the darn thing south and twist the throttle. Hurricanes and tornados come and go, sounds like where you guys are winter last forever.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Woo Hoo! For everywhere someone's talking about winterizing their bike - there's somewhere else in another hemisphere looking forward to early spring moving on into summer... That would be me!

Winterizing threads always cheer me up.
Lol. Have fun!!

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Old 09-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikey View Post
What I do.
Fill it up almost over full and give it a good dose of stabilizer and run it for 10 km or so to get it thru the system and to take the fuel down a bit.
Put it on my motorcycle jack to take the weight off the suspension.
Give it a good cleaning and wipe everything down with Turtle Wax ICE.
Armor All the seat and dash, anything vinyl
Plug in the tender.
Cover the rig up and roll it into the corner.
Sniff and tear up 'til next year.
Occasionally go and sit on it and make motorcycle noises during the winter............Mike
Bruuummmm, brummm. :p

Old 09-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I do not have a heated garage and live in NY State.
It is very cold in the winter and we get a ton of snow in my area of the Tug Hill.
I fill the gas tank and add Stabilizer.
Hook up the smart charger. That's it.
In the spring I change the oil and filter, wash the bike and ride.
Yes I feel your pain, topcat. Here in Canada, the same thing, cold temps and a bunch of snow and ice. And I can't afford to take up snow mobiling. So I come home from work, watch hockey and wait.
To be positive, maybe it makes me love riding even more so.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #21

Still riding third week in November last year before putting away. Riding in the cooler temps. is better than not riding. Winterize about the same as Redjay and seems to work out fine. Lots of good riding left this year unless we get freezing rain and it generally doesn't stay around for more than a few days until it melts.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #22

Unfortunately my season ended sooner than I wanted to by trying to snap my leg in half . I remember a couple of years ago when the fall seemed to last forever and I rode until Dec 5th . Sure made it a short winter .

Maybe with any luck we'll all have a late winter and we can ride a little longer . I'm hoping that maybe I'll get one more ride in this year before I put the beast away .

Old 09-10-2017, 09:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuttonkc View Post
Not a single suggestion included a complete oil change before storage.....?
That's because some of us do it in the spring.
I have done it that way for many years, no problems whatsoever.
88,000 miles on my 2007 and 51,000 on my 2008 so far
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-10-2017, 11:03 PM   #24

For me, winterizing means pulling the 2nd pigtail from under the seat so I can hook up all my heated gear!

Old 09-11-2017, 04:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Not a single suggestion included a complete oil change before storage.....?
I forgot to add that, I do it before I lay it up for the winter, figure there's no sense in sitting with old oil in the crankcase. some people do it in the spring in case of any condensation............M

Old 09-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #26

Quote:
figure there's no sense in sitting with old oil in the crankcase. some people do it in the spring in case of any condensation.
I had that question answered for me a few years back, Not sure if it was entirely true but seemed to make sense. My last bike had a viewing window for the oil. It was cloudy one day after running to get oil at the cycle shop. I asked about it and they said it was condensation and as the oil heats up it evaporates and comes out the over flow as vapor.

Well the cloudiness went away after a few more miles. So is all this True? Not sure, I am just not that smart. But the cloudiness did go away.

As far as old oil, Well it does have contaminants in it. So I change it to be safe, before I store it.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 09-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #27

Living in Virginia my winterizing is putting on the engine guard chaps! Might get a little snow every now & then but it usually only lasts a few days. I'll take it!

VBA #01922

Old 09-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #28

Way too Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
For me, winterizing means pulling the 2nd pigtail from under the seat so I can hook up all my heated gear!
Shucks - I had to do that at the Beginning of September here - What's with this Crazy Weather? I can't wait to go to Boscobel, Wisconsin in Early October - I'll need Chains on my wife's Spyder!

Old 09-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #29
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuttonkc View Post
Not a single suggestion included a complete oil change before storage.....? Including the side drain plug and filter. Very important to me to not store motor oil with all of its collected contaminates in the crankcase over winter. Top off brakes and clutch master cylinders to eliminate as much air (contains moisture) as possible.

Why wait until Spring time to freshen fluids?
Not everyone reads all the literature on proper motorcycle storage, and let's face it, most bikes die for many other reasons than oil caused issues.

I have yet to keep a bike past 60,000 miles so for me it doesn't really matter, but I don't have winter storage. My work schedule is such that some bikes might sit for a month or more before I get a chance to ride them. The one with me on the work trip gets the most use.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 09-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #30

I guess you're never too old to learn something. I have been riding for 45 years, never had a problem with riding the bike year round, other than the cold. I do change the oil about sometime in November, and I make it a point to keep the tank full and add a fuel stabilizer in case it's longer than expected between rides.

This last Spring my bike showed some rust on the frame. I still need to get all that cleaned up, which I plan to do, sometime, when I can get enough of other people's crap out of the way so I can work on the bike. This year I plan to give the bike a thorough cleaning before winter, apply a good wax job, and keep it clean. I have been riding bikes with much less chrome and aluminum frames, and I guess I got used to the reduced need to keep those types of bikes clean.