Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-30-2017, 09:07 PM   #1

crazy Bike wanders ...

So I'll try to explain this as best I can . I recently bought a Vaquero and would like to know if any of you have experienced the same thing . When I'm out riding slow speeds , no wind it handles like a dream . When I'm going 60+mph the bike seems to want to kick out from underneath me ( especially when it's windy ) . I can feel it in the rear tire , seems to want to kick out to the right .

I checked the belt and it's over to the left ( see pic ) . I'm wondering if I should take it in and have them check it for alignment . Probably something I can do myself . I checked it for tightness also and I can twist the belt a little better than a 1/4 of the way .

Thanks in advance !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170830_185547 (2).jpg (82.6 KB, 22 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Ridefree; 08-30-2017 at 10:28 PM.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:03 PM   #2

Yup A bit right drift for me too. But if your belt is off to the left ??? it still should be aligned anyway. No Pic by the way. But I can picture it. I thought belt tight was/should be 3/4 of a turn but don't go with what I think, I'm not sure I remember correctly. I do remember it is the same as a Harley if that helps.

While we are at it which way is loose on the right side when sitting behind the bike and which way to turn loose on the left side. Not sure if it is righty tighty.......ect

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 08-30-2017, 10:12 PM   #3

Check your tire pressure front and rear check with cold tires after it's sat overnight.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 08-30-2017, 10:54 PM   #4

Tire pressures are good ( new tires this season ) . I keep them at 40 psi rear and 38 psi front . Handles great at slow speeds .

I did some more research and found that it is quite easy to align the rear tire . Tomorrow I'll get her up on the lift and have a go at it .

From what I understand the two set screws ( one on either side ) have to be set so that the belt sits center of the pulley . Turning to the right will tighten and turning to the left will loosen . I'll jack it up , loosen the main axle bolts , set the screws/bolts so they line up with the marks on each side and then tighten the main axle bolts , spin the tire to be sure the belt is dead center of the pulley . I then should be good to go .

Old 08-30-2017, 11:08 PM   #5

My belt is off also.

What did you find on the belt tension? I know there is a tool but I'm not sure I really need one

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-30-2017, 11:25 PM   #6

Not sure on that one . I'm going to head down to the dealership tomorrow and talk with a buddy who works in the shop and ask him . I have heard the belts are to tight from the factory . Probably to allow for stretching as you break in the bike .

Old 08-31-2017, 09:44 AM   #7

I haven't had any luck getting my belt to run in the centre of the pulley even though I know my wheel is aligned.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:09 AM   #8

Ace , I was about to make my correction in this topic by saying that the pulley doesn't really play a part in the wheel alignment . I've been reading numerous threads and have found out that it's more important to have the axle lined up on both sides of the swing arm where there are marks . The belt may be center or it could be off to the right or left . If it's rubbing on the sides of the pulley I would definitely check it again .

So from what I have read . You loosen axle bolts and then turn adjusting screws so the axle lines up evenly with the marks on the swing arm . Then check tension . Now from reading the posts I see somewhere between 5 to 10mm of play is between spec . I couldn't find much on " twisting the belt " but mine only goes about a 1/4 turn . Once the tension has been set by turning the set screws evenly you tighten the axle bolts and your good to go .

Before I tackle this job I'm going to stop by the dealer and chat with a friend of mine who works in the shop . Who knows , maybe I can just get them to do it and I won't have to worry about doing it right . I love doing my own work but usually when I'm not entirely sure of what to do I'll get help or pay them to do it .

Old 08-31-2017, 11:15 AM   #9

are the tires on in the right direction? A friend had a tire on backwards, made his harley unridable at highway speed

Old 08-31-2017, 11:31 AM   #10

Quote:
I couldn't find much on " twisting the belt " but mine only goes about a 1/4 turn
I found something on it, Looks like "Ridefree" is good. If the video posted holds true.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridefree View Post
So I'll try to explain this as best I can . I recently bought a Vaquero and would like to know if any of you have experienced the same thing . When I'm out riding slow speeds , no wind it handles like a dream . When I'm going 60+mph the bike seems to want to kick out from underneath me ( especially when it's windy ) . I can feel it in the rear tire , seems to want to kick out to the right .

I checked the belt and it's over to the left ( see pic ) . I'm wondering if I should take it in and have them check it for alignment . Probably something I can do myself . I checked it for tightness also and I can twist the belt a little better than a 1/4 of the way .

Thanks in advance !!!

Ride free I experience a similar feeling, but living in the bald ass prairies doesn't help, the cross winds can be brutal on my 100km return ride daily to and from work. As for asking the stealership, not sure where you purchased your bike but if its from FunFun on Faithfull in Saskatoon, I would take what they say with a grain of salt. I brought my bike in for its 12k inspection, needless to say, they never noticed a completely bald rear tire, it was me who mentioned it to them. Same with buying drain plug gaskets, the bike needs two, well the parts person had no idea. Everything about that place leaves a bad taste in my mouth, hence the reason I bought my bike in Headingly, MB.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltonsain View Post
are the tires on in the right direction? A friend had a tire on backwards, made his harley unridable at highway speed
I did check them when I bought it . Both heading in the right direction .

Old 08-31-2017, 03:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSS View Post
Ride free I experience a similar feeling, but living in the bald ass prairies doesn't help, the cross winds can be brutal on my 100km return ride daily to and from work. As for asking the stealership, not sure where you purchased your bike but if its from FunFun on Faithfull in Saskatoon, I would take what they say with a grain of salt. I brought my bike in for its 12k inspection, needless to say, they never noticed a completely bald rear tire, it was me who mentioned it to them. Same with buying drain plug gaskets, the bike needs two, well the parts person had no idea. Everything about that place leaves a bad taste in my mouth, hence the reason I bought my bike in Headingly, MB.
I know what your saying . I'm pretty picky when it comes to my bike . In most cases I'll do the work myself and I also make a list of parts with the part # and quantity when I order from them . So far so good . I also deal with Rec supply . Randy is top notch and knows his stuff .

My bike was a trade in I got at Discovery . Good bunch of guys there but probably won't take it there for repairs if needed .

Old 08-31-2017, 05:57 PM   #14

when you align the rear tire be sure to go by the marks NOT THE BELT POSITION. Tension with wheel in the air should be about 2 ticks on the peep hole. specs are one tick but I find that to be to tight.
Are your tires new, sometimes they will give that sensation before being scuffed up. Also since the ECU flash when I twist the throttle I get the sensation of rear kicking to the right. Just wants to get up and go.

Present rides
1983 Honda Shadow VT750 - Harley Killer
2005 Yamahe V-Star - Yarley
2012 Kawasaki Voyager - Weeping Angel

http://tourofhonor.com/ #97 (2019) #128 (2018) #8 (2017) #458 (2016)
IBA #50918
VBA #2296

Old 08-31-2017, 07:10 PM   #15

I had that for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridefree View Post

Thanks in advance !!!
I had a Loosy-Goosy feeling when I would pull out of a parking lot or make a left turn at an intersection. Found out I had a left rear shock leaking Oil an pressure. Check your shocks for equal pressure.

Also, Not sure what tire you are using - but one of the complaints I've heard of the Commander II is that in certain situations - the rear tire feels like it's gonna start a power drift on you. I remember that feeling on my last Commander II before I switched to Metzler 888 and eventually to Dunlop American Eagles.

Rear tick mark alignment is important. - I had a Dealer tech put the left tick mark just to the right of the third mark, and the left tick mark just to the right of the third mark.
Tire was off center and bike wandered bad. When I got it home I found it and corrected it myself.

FYI - It should be just to behind (or in front) the tick mark on both sides - If you think about it it will make sense.

Good luck.