Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 07-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #1

HOT weather - your gear solution - comfort, protection, or skip the ride?

In my neck of the woods, it gets 90-100+ degrees in the long summer months. I tried full leathers once in 100dg heat (for a short ride), just to see what it was like and my conclusion was NO GDAMN WAY! The heat made it dangerous - heat stroke IS a concern.

I will use ATG as often as I can - for me that's FF Helmet, Jacket, gloves, boots, canvas pants and knee/shin guards underneath. But all that junk in 95-100? Hell no.

When it is HOT I will try and use a leather vest and wear my Thor elbow guards, and a FF helmet if I can stand it, otherwise 1/2 helmet.

Recently I have gone for a few rides wearing a 1/2 Helmet, and even as little as jeans and a t-shirt. And it was WONDERFUL. Even took a quick ride in shorts, tennis shoes and t-shirt and it was the BEST.

Reminds me of the 80s when I was not even aware of ATGATT and enjoyed the hell out of all my rides.

I have two buddies that ride w/ no helmet or gear of any kind, and they have a blast and don't give a damn what other riders preach about gear. I admire the carefree attitude. The BEST rides I have had lately were with almost NO gear and I can only imagine how nice it must be with no helmet at all. When I asked my buddy why he doesn't care about a helmet he said, "If I get in a wreck, I'd rather die than be a vegetable" and I totally agree with that. And the two buddies I have lost to MC wrecks in the last couple of years were geared-up, but it wouldn't have helped them anyway.

So are you a strict follower of the church of ATGATT? Do you opt for comfort or safety?

This is not a thread for arguing (if it can be helped). And it really pisses me off when someone says how stupid someone else is for not wearing this or that. I assume we are adults and still have the right to choose.

And please don't use the excuse that someone else wrecking affects your insurance - if it does, we need to fix it so it doesn't and retain the right to choose.

I am just curious if you will only ride in full gear, or if you are comfortable riding sans-gear?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #2

I wear my 3/4 helmet, armoured mesh jacket, gloves, Kevlar jeans and boots as a general rule while commuting, but have gone down to just a t-shirt, gloves, regular jeans and boots if I'm just riding on the weekend for pleasure. It's nice to unplug from the gear sometimes.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

I live in the Phoenix area, it's over 100° for nearly 5 months of the year with 3 weeks of that above 110°. I don't ride much when it's above 100° if it can be helped. It's just not very enjoyable. But If it's 90 or above, I seldom wear a jacket, and I usually wear a half helmet, gloves, boots and jeans. I'll wear either a short sleeve or long sleeve shirt.

If I can't be comfortable when I ride, then what's the point?

Since you're fairly new here, I crashed and totaled my 2007 Nomad 2 and a half years . I was on my way home from work, wearing a polo shirt and jeans. I went down at 40-45 MPH and had some nasty road rash on both arms. My leather jacket was in my saddle bag. It was 85° that afternoon. As soon as I settled with the insurance company, I was back on two wheels on a brand new bike and my riding apparel hasn't changed.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Last edited by cactusjack; 07-18-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
...I went down at 40-45 MPH and had some nasty road rash on both arms. My leather jacket was in my saddle bag. It was 85° that afternoon. As soon as I settled with the insurance company, I was back on two wheels on a brand new bike and my riding apparel hasn't changed.

Thanks CJ, and FT.

When I lost my first bud to an accident - someone pulled out in front of him while he was 70mph on a country highway - it actually had a strange effect on me.

That was when I decided to try and be comfortable with LESS gear. Partly because I realized that in many cases, gear won't do anything at all for you. Partly because I felt I had lost some of the enjoyment of riding by allowing myself to essentially be brainwashed by the church of ATGATT.

I know this is a fact: If I ride a motorcycle, I am going to die. And if I do not ride a motorcycle I am still going to die. It is simply part of everyone's life. I am not looking to speed it up, but neither am I looking to spend it in fear, in order to add a couple of years to it.

I am honest when I say that I really do admire those who ride and enjoy, and to hell with the "opinion of the crowd".

Thanks and keep 'em coming.

BR
8:>

Old 07-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #5

You can look into a cooling vest from amazon. I think they are less than $50 and work quite well from what I understand.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #6

I wear what I want but I don't like highway travel in high heat. I ride almost every day, it's a short ride to work. If its cool enough I'll wear it all. If highway in the heat... Jeans a long sleeve cotton shirt and a 3/4 helmet (silver). Wet the cotton shirt at fuel stops and you can ride through anything. Here we have so much humidity it'll stay wet for a while.

Also I try to avoid rural highways at night if at all possible.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #7

When its hot out I wear boots, jeans, tee shirt, gloves and a 1/2 Helmet. Boots and jeans are for crap hitting me that flies up off the road. I just like wearing gloves and the helmet is for low speed crashes and it has a radio in it. I do like riding without a helmet but after a while I usually get paranoid and put it back on.
If I was scared to die I sure would be riding I bike. There are a lot worse way to leave this world than to being taken out on a bike.
So wear what you want to ( I'm staying away from shorts and flip-flops) I won't say a word.

David (Framer) Marang
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
VBA#02245
VROC#35311

2013 Antlers 2014 Mountain View 2014 Antlers
2015 Eureka Springs 2015 Antlers 2016 Salem 2016 Antlers
2017 Eureka Springs 2017 Lake George 2017 Antlers
2018 Custer

Old 07-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #8

I wear jeans, t-shirt, boots, gloves and 1/2 helmet during the summer months. When cooler weather prevails I wear full gear.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 07-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #9

When its hot here in Southcentral Texas I wear a long sleeve cool max shirt covered with a Vanson Vent Max 4 textile jacket, deerskin palm gloves, steel toe safety boots and a 3/4 helmet with a cool max balaclava. I always wear jeans. I have a sun exposure problem and hate sunscreen so I stay covered up. In the Texas heat sun exposure and dehydration are a big deal. I have found this combination keeps me from dehydrating better than other clothing combinations I've tried.

When we stop for lunch I drop the jacket and cover up with tee shirt over the long sleeve shirt for modesty; trust me on that.

When I'm out all day I might carry an evaporative cooling vest, which is wetted, in a sealable plastic bag in the saddlebag. The evaporative vest goes on the cool max shirt and under the Vent Max 4 jacket. If I feel carefree, I swap out the Vent Max 4 for a white, long sleeve shirt along with the other gear. I've been gear free and 500 to 600 miles a day in the elements wasn't that fun for me.

On my daily commute I either wear the Vanson or an Intake 2 textile jacket, full face helmet with the same gloves and boots. The Intake 2 is not comfortable for me above 85°; so its my winter jacket.

The Missus and I have been on the ground and into a guard rail at 65 mph. We had on safety boots, gloves, leather jackets & chaps, helmets. We both walked away unharmed. The Electra Glide Classic we were riding was totaled, but it ran so we rode it another 450 miles anyway. I never think about my safety much on the bike; i just drive defensively and enjoy my time in the saddle.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 07-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #10

First Choice when it is 90 or above.....I don't ride.
Second Choice......mesh pants and jacket, gloves, 3/4 helmet but if I am only going for a short (30 minutes or less) I will wear jeans and a T shirt. I always wear a helmet.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 07-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #11

Another Phoenix rider piping in. . .

Not to long ago, we were on a several hours ride at 118° top temp. We dropped 3 riders due to heat damage.

Chuckster's Customs 3" risers not only make for a better riding position, they also offer a place to hold a double insulated 24 oz. Contigo (mostly ice) water bottle. Above 110° I wear a long sleeve "Heat Out" shirt that gets regular re-wetting via the water bottle that I also drink from. When the bottle is empty, there's a pit stop no matter what the fuel gauge says. Denim jeans, boots, and gloves are also a must and best if they can hold water.

Also the "wind chill index" works against you above your body temp. (+/- 98.6°) That means 118° + 80 mph on the freeway is nothing short of deadly.

Keep in mind, I have more than one cage with A/C. For most purposes above 110° I'll take the A/C'ed cage. As a member of B.A.C.A., I ride for a cause that supersedes my comfort(s). If that means a 4 hour ride in near Hell temps, I just do it.

Above 110° cover as much as you can keep wet. Drink a lot of water. If you are getting dizzy, find shade and drink more (cold) water.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Last edited by markclark57; 07-19-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #12

Really great responses and hot weather solutions. Glad to be a member of a forum that is able to explore these topics without the preaching that is standard on many other forums.

You can certainly trust the opinion of an Arizonian when it comes to hot weather. As a Texan who is "used to the heat", I can say that I have no desire to test my tolerance in Arizona - NO THANK YOU!... heh heh

Old 07-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by markclark57 View Post
Another Phoenix rider piping in. . .

Not to long ago, we were on a several hours ride at 118° top temp. We dropped 3 riders due to heat damage.

Chuckster's Customs 3" risers not only make for a better riding position, they also offer a place to hold a double insulated 24 oz. Contigo (mostly ice) water bottle. Above 110° I wear a long sleeve "Heat Out" shirt that gets regular re-wetting via the water bottle that I also drink from. When the bottle is empty, there's a pit stop no matter what the fuel gauge says. Denim jeans, boots, and gloves are also a must and best if they can hold water.

Also the "wind chill index" works against you above your body temp. (+/- 98.6°) That means 118° + 80 mph on the freeway is nothing shot of deadly.

Keep in mind, I have more than one cage with A/C. For most purposes above 110° I'll take the A/C'ed cage. As a member of B.A.C.A., I ride for a cause that supersedes my comfort(s). If that means a 4 hour ride in near Hell temps, I just do it.

Above 110° cover as much as you can keep wet. Drink a lot of water. If you are getting dizzy, find shade and drink more (cold) water.
Mark brings up a good point about hydration. I have a Nelson Rigg tank bag with a two liter hydration pack and hose that comes in handy in extreme heat. I did 800 milesin 100 degree heat in one day recently. the hydration pack saved me.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 07-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #14

I prefer ATGATT regardless. Yes, it becomes miserable in the high heat. The alternative is often worse. I have seen too many riders with severe sun and windburn. Having experienced dehydration more than once I am getting too old to let it get too far a long. I go through a lot of water if I have to ride in the higher temperatures. Without some kind of protection replenishing the lost liquid is a losing battle. Asphalt in summer temperatures reaches 195 degrees, getting severe burns if you go down is not uncommon. One last thing, the gear breaks the super hot air coming from the pavement and the air moving around the bike. I would rather have the gear be super hot than my skin.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Old 07-19-2013, 01:32 AM   #15

I wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt in the summer. Don't like getting burned. I wear a half helmet in my state because it's the law but as soon as I hit the border of a state that doesn't require it off it comes and the baseball cap goes on. The only reason for the baseball cap is that when you have to wear a helmet and can go without it for a few hours in the sun the front of your hair line will get sun burned and you won't be able to put your helmet back on when you have to.

In the colder weather I wear a leather jacket, chaps, and heated gloves if it's cold enough otherwise a light spring jacket, no chaps, and no gloves.