In Association with VBA Web : History | Leadership | Memorial | Events | Merchandise
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #1

Progressive Springs or heavier oil

My 06 Nomad front seems to be bottoming out easier lately so I am wondering should I replace the springs in the front end with Progressives (Part#) or remove and replace the front fork oil with new or heavier oil (What weight) or both. Any help would be appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
National Leader: USA

Both
Psychiatric Ward FL

If you want to get to heaven
You gotta raise a little Hell

VBA 936
Old 10-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #3

I agree with MT on this one . I went with progressive springs and 15 weight oil . While I was at it I replaced the steering stem bearings with All Balls . It was worth every penny . You won't regret it .

2013 Vaquero
2001 Nomad
2006 classic
Old 10-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #4

What do you mean about the steering stem bearings? Would that be in the center of the triple tree below that big nut between my risers? I am having a side to side wobble when I let go of the bars. Starts slow back and forth but gets faster and harder the longer I leave go. I believe if I raise the front end off the ground that my front tire should either go left or right slowly on its own until it stops but now it will just slam to either side that it goes. Hits real hard when it stops. I think it needs tightening to make the swing real easy.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #5

I would agree with the others, and do both. That being said, I still have the stock springs, and you would really be surprised at the difference that just changing the fork oil makes. I run 15 weight oil (Motul), and the last time I changed it, I went with the 15 weight Motul again, and it just being new oil made a big difference over the old wore out oil. The next time I change it, I'm going to also change the springs to Progressive progressive rate springs, part # 11-1144
https://www.progressivesuspension.co...ork-spring-kit

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381
Old 10-16-2017, 09:36 PM   #6

I put 20wt in mine. Its fine/good on straight and smooth roads, but of a rough curve it not as stable as it was with the stock oil. Left stock springs in. Next change will either go back to 10 or maybe 15.
My 06 has 34,000 mile on it, and wasn't having any problems with bottoming out.
VBA #02401
2006 1600 Nomad black

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
Old 10-16-2017, 10:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmmbt View Post
My 06 Nomad front seems to be bottoming out easier lately so I am wondering should I replace the springs in the front end with Progressives (Part#) or remove and replace the front fork oil with new or heavier oil (What weight) or both. Any help would be appreciated.
You shouldn't be bottoming out, at least not on a regular basis. Sounds like you may have a leak.

I don't know about progressive springs, but a higher weight oil would certainly help, assuming you don't have or have fixed other issues. Maxima or Motul 15 wt are similar in viscosity (there is no standard for fork oil weights, so one brands 15 wt may not be very close to another's in viscosity). I think 20 wt in just about any brand makes it too firm for most riders.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:27 AM   #8

No leak, just 50 some odd thousand miles. Also have a Premieux fairing on the front which adds weight as well.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Like MAS said, do both. Cheap fix.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #10
VBA President

Quote:
What do you mean about the steering stem bearings? Would that be in the center of the triple tree below that big nut between my risers? I am having a side to side wobble when I let go of the bars. Starts slow back and forth but gets faster and harder the longer I leave go. I believe if I raise the front end off the ground that my front tire should either go left or right slowly on its own until it stops but now it will just slam to either side that it goes. Hits real hard when it stops. I think it needs tightening to make the swing real easy.
Yes the bearings on the triple tree. If it "slams to either side" it's time to have a look at it.

Dave Jesse

2006 1600 Green/Silver Nomad
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers
Old 10-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #11

Quote:
No leak, just 50 some odd thousand miles. Also have a Premieux fairing on the front which adds weight as well.
Oh yeah, that oil is old and worn out if it has never been changed. You've probably lost some over time, too, but without a visible leak.

If you are doing the first change, I would rinse the residuals out 2 - 3 times rather than just once. There is going to be a lot of corrosive crap in the bottoms of those forks.