Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-06-2017, 02:31 AM   #1

water pump mechanical seal vn1500

Hi all,
wondering if anyone has replaced the mechanical seal in water pump on a 99 vn1500?

problems: 1) leaking coolant near rear of water pump (behind idle screw bracket)
2) leaking coolant from water pump overflow/breather

This is a new bike to me and I have or intend to do all the work myself.
However, I spoke to a local kawasaki dealer mechanic who HAS NEVER pulled a vn1500 water pump apart.... but claims that MOST/ALL bikes he has done this job on require the seal to be replaced via clutch cover...is this right? I didn't get that impression from the manual.

He claims that usually you need to replace the shaft as it gets a groove warn in it, is that true?

He claims the coolant won't leak into oil, only out the breather/overflow (which it is), is it true it won't go into oil?

I currently can not inspect water pump as after removing 4x bolts I CAN NOT get this cover off..It seems like it is glued on...any ideas on how to remove this? I have be hitting it with a rubber mallet with no effect. It seems if I tried, I could pull the bike over by pulling on the water pump, its that..stuck on!

Any help would be great, and appreciated.
-cheers

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-06-2017, 02:34 AM   #2

can't post pics as I kkeep getting asked for url but pics not on internet.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:19 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Thumbs Up

Just do a google search for a "1999 kawasaki 1500 water pump diagram" you then will see the parts, gasket, o-rings, impeller, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngwarrior View Post
Hi all,
wondering if anyone has replaced the mechanical seal in water pump on a 99 vn1500?

problems: 1) leaking coolant near rear of water pump (behind idle screw bracket)
2) leaking coolant from water pump overflow/breather

This is a new bike to me and I have or intend to do all the work myself.
However, I spoke to a local kawasaki dealer mechanic who HAS NEVER pulled a vn1500 water pump apart.... but claims that MOST/ALL bikes he has done this job on require the seal to be replaced via clutch cover...is this right? I didn't get that impression from the manual.

He claims that usually you need to replace the shaft as it gets a groove warn in it, is that true?

He claims the coolant won't leak into oil, only out the breather/overflow (which it is), is it true it won't go into oil?

I currently can not inspect water pump as after removing 4x bolts I CAN NOT get this cover off..It seems like it is glued on...any ideas on how to remove this? I have be hitting it with a rubber mallet with no effect. It seems if I tried, I could pull the bike over by pulling on the water pump, its that..stuck on!

Any help would be great, and appreciated.
-cheers

Old 10-07-2017, 04:21 AM   #4

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...%29/parts.html

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...UMP/parts.html

If you are sure you have all the bolts out,there is nothing to stop the cover from coming off.It must just be the gasket sealer holding it.Try using a narrow tipped screwdriver and hammer in the seam.Work your way around it,tapping gently so as not to crack the casing.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:20 AM   #5

so I've spoken to a few people and been trying to research my issue, I am away from my bike so have not had a chance to do anything else. (bare with me as I go through this again)

The main issue: It seems to me that to be leaking coolant from overflow, the mechanical seal is gone.
I intend to replace mechanical seal to correct this.

The secondary issue: is that it appears the water pump has a leak in lower rear section of water pump.

I've read about people having leaks through a weep hole on water pump. Is that a designed weep hole or more a break in gasket where coolant is weeping?
the point towards the lower rear of pump has a rust spot/coolant
pool) and I assumed it was leaking from there.
On one occasion it appeared to have sprayed from this point as there was
'splatter' marks from roughly this point, shooting on an angle (up and to
the rear)
It doesn't seem to be leaking from higher up, although I haven't checked.

I've read about problems with radiator cap, can someone please explain this issue to me (i only have read that it can be a problem but not sure why)?

Also... all leaks did appear to have stopped at one point. I realised that the reserve tank was empty. I topped it up and a day later it was leaking again. After researching, I'm wondering if I have a rad cap issue??

TIA

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-08-2017, 10:57 AM   #6

"The main issue: It seems to me that to be leaking coolant from overflow, the mechanical seal is gone.
I intend to replace mechanical seal to correct this"

Are you talking about the overflow under the radiator cap,or the one that comes from the reserve tank under the right hand side panel.What mechanical seal ?

I had water getting too hot,and under pressure,it was flowing out of the one on the tank.I made sure the fan was working,then replaced the thermostat and rad cap.That's when i discovered a possible head gasket leak.I put a bottle of K SEAL in the radiator,and have had no problem since.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Contact macmac on the forum. I think he knows how to replace the seal without
splitting the cases.
Send him a private message.

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/member.php?u=611

Old 10-08-2017, 06:41 PM   #8

The last time Mac logged on the forum was Jan, 1st.
May not get the PM.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #9

There is a cavity on the water pump, between mechanical seal and oil seal. If mechanical seal goes, coolant will leak from hose on front left of bike. If oil seal goes, oil will come out this hose. This overflow hole is designed to prevent coolant and water mixing, I'm told.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #10
Top Contributor

If I remember correctly you can pull out the seal with a tool with a hook

Old 10-11-2017, 12:06 AM   #11

so i need to clean this up more. the red seal looks bubbly to me, a little worried about it. I figure if it mechanical seal replacement goes well and fixes coolant issue that when oil seal goes, and I believe only a matter of time, that at least the 2 fluids would not mix...i'd just have a different fluid leak from this water pump overflow hose. Is there something, like permatex I can cover red seal with, is this recommended, has anyone done this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171011_144022.jpg (92.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171011_143711.jpg (98.2 KB, 9 views)