Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 04-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #1

Safety Gear Recommendations

After riding for 16 years(half my life) I've somehow began to consider my mortality. I'm interested in safety gear recommendations, and what different ratings mean. I appreciate any input! I currently only wear a leather jacket, leather gloves, a full face DOT helmet and regular jeans. I'm just now beginning my research for gear.

Firstly for budgetary reasons, I'll need to piece the gear together. I'd like to get some decent protective boots first and go from there.

I'd also like for the gear to not make me look like a brightly colored power ranger if I can avoid it - vain, I know. I'm looking for good protection that is budget friendly and understated in its look.

thanks all!

Viking hard bags

Cobra fatty highway bar

Cobra long shots

thetrailerstore ebay fairing

LRS recurve shield

Yaffe 10" mini bagger apes

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-17-2017, 05:47 PM   #2

I'd stay with a full face helmet for sure, also get good gloves with some protection on them, and some decent boots, I like the 8" tactical boot, it has a side zipper and is very comfortable.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-18-2017, 01:00 AM   #3

I'm guessing you would not want recommendations from me, the orange and blue Stay Puffed Marshmallow Man. 100_3240.jpg

Old 04-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Try looking though these sites, I have used them all without a problem.
http://www.jafrum.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQj...0ywaAmRQ8P8HAQ

https://www.leatherup.com/

http://www.compacc.com/apparel
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 04-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Hopefully you will get over the insecurity of not wanting to wear hi viz gear. It can help cagers see you which may keep you from testing how protective the gear is in a wreck.
Also, the more lighting you add to the bike the better.

At a minimum, get some Kevlar lined jeans with knee armor. Regular jeans offer zero protection.

Regarding boots. Make sure they are truly motorcycle boots. They will have armor to protect your shin and ankle bones, as well as structure to keep you from hyper-extending your ankle. In a breathable leather, I like the ICON 1000 elsinore boots. In waterproof, I have the TCX Infinity Gore-tex.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-18-2017, 01:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Hopefully you will get over the insecurity of not wanting to wear hi viz gear. It can help cagers see you which may keep you from testing how protective the gear is in a wreck.
Also, the more lighting you add to the bike the better.

At a minimum, get some Kevlar lined jeans with knee armor. Regular jeans offer zero protection.

Regarding boots. Make sure they are truly motorcycle boots. They will have armor to protect your shin and ankle bones, as well as structure to keep you from hyper-extending your ankle. In a breathable leather, I like the ICON 1000 elsinore boots. In waterproof, I have the TCX Infinity Gore-tex.
I have a headlight modulator and a brakelight modulator, which has helped the left turns in front of me, and the riding my arse problem a LOT! I'm more worried about deer at this point. What types of boots do you recommend? Are there special ratings that pertain to the hyper extension ankle protection?

Viking hard bags

Cobra fatty highway bar

Cobra long shots

thetrailerstore ebay fairing

LRS recurve shield

Yaffe 10" mini bagger apes

Old 05-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #7

Get a good quality jacket of your choosing. I have a Aerostitch jacket and pants...expensive but worth it, saved my skin once and repaired the jacket (pants cut off by ER staff). I suggest a good quality full face or modular helmet...again, saved my ugly mug from being trashed, have a Shoei now. Use gloves of your liking...I have deer skin. Get a pair of good 8" minimum boots. If you go for waterproof, get Gortex lined. Hi-Viz is a good thing or at least get something that has reflective stripes.

As you can probably guess, I am an advocate of ATGATT.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 05-16-2017, 02:26 PM   #8

In the summer, I wear a pair of Colorado CHAPS. They are custom-made to your size with a string of options. On mine, I have knee pads and the right leg has a Kevlar panel to resist the heat from the pipes. I have mesh on the back so that they breath. This way, I still have some protection while avoiding passing out from the heat and humidity of Tennessee!
The rest is pretty common, but I confess that I am not an ATGATT guy - close though. I always wear boots, modular Shoei helmet, and gloves. Most time I do wear a barf-green mesh jacket with the full complement of pads. In the winter, full heavy leather, top to bottom. First Gear makes some good quality stuff.

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 05-19-2017, 12:56 AM   #9

Brightly colored Power Ranger here.

GoreTex tactical boots w/side zip, Made by Danner boots. No special armor.

Tourmaster Venture Air Pants w/CE hip & knee armor. Pants are more comfy than my jeans! Crotch made for MC so they don't bunch up. Side zip for easy on/off. They also have zip out rain liner and insulated liner. Very cool in the summer.

Olympia Air jacket w/zip out liners, CE elbow/back pad as well. Very cool in summer due to flow through mesh.

I am wearing a rain jacket under the jacket in this pic as it is simpler than zipping in the liner when a little chilly. Cell phone pocket a little small for my Note 5.

In hi viz you really can notice when drivers notice you quicker. I was not a believer until I bought this jacket...my first hi viz.

I had a lady cager pull into a gas stop just off the interstate, walked up to me as I was pumping gas and said thank you for wearing that bright colored jacket as it made it so easy for her to notice me a few miles back as I passed her. I don't care how fashionable it is/isn't....function over form works for me.

Good Luck!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 05-20-2017, 10:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post
Brightly colored Power Ranger here.

GoreTex tactical boots w/side zip, Made by Danner boots. No special armor.

Tourmaster Venture Air Pants w/CE hip & knee armor. Pants are more comfy than my jeans! Crotch made for MC so they don't bunch up. Side zip for easy on/off. They also have zip out rain liner and insulated liner. Very cool in the summer.

Olympia Air jacket w/zip out liners, CE elbow/back pad as well. Very cool in summer due to flow through mesh.

I am wearing a rain jacket under the jacket in this pic as it is simpler than zipping in the liner when a little chilly. Cell phone pocket a little small for my Note 5.

In hi viz you really can notice when drivers notice you quicker. I was not a believer until I bought this jacket...my first hi viz.

I had a lady cager pull into a gas stop just off the interstate, walked up to me as I was pumping gas and said thank you for wearing that bright colored jacket as it made it so easy for her to notice me a few miles back as I passed her. I don't care how fashionable it is/isn't....function over form works for me.

Good Luck!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Ditto with my Technicolor Stay Puffed Marshmallow suit. 100% Kevlar with outstanding armor from Motoport. It weren't cheap, but it's worth every penny to me. It's not hi viz, but I have had folks tell me it did grab their attention, especially with a white helmet. For night riding, it has lots of retro-reflective stripping, too.