Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-21-2017, 10:37 PM   #1

Front Lower Deflectors

Why do Nomads need the lower deflectors? Most bikes do not have them. I know it reduces/eliminates buffeting because I have removed them and I felt it right away. But what exactly is causing it? Do bikes that do not have these deflectors have this buffeting? If I put engine guard deflectors on would it work the same as the lowers? I just don't like the look of the lower deflectors and looking for an alternative solution . They take away from the look of the bike in my opinion.

Barry
2006 Vulcan Nomad 1600
2008 Vulcan 900 LT (sold)
Trinity, Al.
Roll Tide

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-21-2017, 10:40 PM   #2

They redirect air and keep it from flowing up around the gas tank and creating turbulence behind the windshield, at least that's what I understand.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
Advanced Member

I would recommend you remove them, take a freeway ride, and it will become readily apparent.

I rode from Pensacola to my home in Washington on a Triumph Rocket 3 without them and the wind coming under the windscreen beat me up for almost 4,000 miles. I bought a set as soon as I arrived home.

In my view the Nomad windscreen and lowers provide the best stock configuration protection of any of the many bikes I have owned, other than the Harley batwing fairing. Plus the Kawasaki lowers are good looking, unlike the butt ugly utilitarian ones for the Triumph.

They work.