Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #1

Got the new lift up.

Took it out of the crate (been sitting in the garage since xmas) my knees are thanking me already..😀😀😀

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Highway pegs
Hard bags with rear trunk
Accent LED'S
Baron Air Cleaner
Sony MP3 Player
Infinity6x9

2004 Vulcan 2000 (sold)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-21-2017, 05:07 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Looks good, where did you buy it ? Is it pneumatic with a foot pedal ?

Old 03-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #3

Looks good! Got a couple of questions for ya: 1- The pressure module beside the hydraulic ram itself - did you add that or is that now part of the OEM system (I'm assuming this is an HF lift)? 2- I notice you are not using the (nearly worthless on my lift) safety bar. Do you really trust that cheap ram to hold the bike up or did you beef that up, too?

I've used other means, like 4x4s, to act as safety supports under mine because I don't trust the cheap hydraulics to hold that much weight. The bar that came with my lift bent badly under the weight of a Honda Sabre VT1100 (< 700 lbs wet). I can't imagine what a Voyager or Nomad would do to it.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Looks good, where did you buy it ? Is it pneumatic with a foot pedal ?
Princess auto, xmas present from the misses, it's both actually foot pedal or hook a airline up to it.

Highway pegs
Accent LED'S
Baron Air Cleaner
Sony MP3 Player
Infinity6x9

2004 Vulcan 2000 (sold)

Old 03-21-2017, 05:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Princess auto, xmas present from the misses, it's both actually foot pedal or hook a airline up to it.

That answered my questions. Looks almost identical to the HF lift table. I suspect they are made by the same Chinese plant. I went online and Princess Auto does not seem to carry it anymore. I would be very careful about leaving the bike up without some sort of safety in case the ram fails. Could be why PA is not carrying them any more (?).

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-21-2017, 05:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
Looks good! Got a couple of questions for ya: 1- The pressure module beside the hydraulic ram itself - did you add that or is that now part of the OEM system (I'm assuming this is an HF lift)? 2- I notice you are not using the (nearly worthless on my lift) safety bar. Do you really trust that cheap ram to hold the bike up or did you beef that up, too?

I've used other means, like 4x4s, to act as safety supports under mine because I don't trust the cheap hydraulics to hold that much weight. The bar that came with my lift bent badly under the weight of a Honda Sabre VT1100 (< 700 lbs wet). I can't imagine what a Voyager or Nomad would do to it.
Ya that's all OEM I did put the safety bar in which seems solid it's says it's a 1000lb lift and the bike just fits. It was missing a pile of washers (suppose to have 16 in total it came with 8 wtf?) Have a pile of nuts left over and there's no real directions just a blow up picture showing where every bolt and nut goes...black and white of course. But either than that it's going to be nice to stand and work on it rather than being on my knees.

Highway pegs
Accent LED'S
Baron Air Cleaner
Sony MP3 Player
Infinity6x9

2004 Vulcan 2000 (sold)

Old 03-21-2017, 05:27 PM   #7

Quote:
That answered my questions. Looks almost identical to the HF lift table. I suspect they are made by the same Chinese plant. I went online and Princess Auto does not seem to carry it anymore. I would be very careful about leaving the bike up without some sort of safety in case the ram fails. Could be why PA is not carrying them any more (?).
Lol what isint made in China anymore? Ya good point about the ram I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

Highway pegs
Accent LED'S
Baron Air Cleaner
Sony MP3 Player
Infinity6x9

2004 Vulcan 2000 (sold)

Old 03-21-2017, 05:36 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Price ?

Old 03-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #9

I belive it was around the $600 mark but they were out of stock so they "upgraded" her to this 1 for the same price. This 1 is close to $800 .

Highway pegs
Accent LED'S
Baron Air Cleaner
Sony MP3 Player
Infinity6x9

2004 Vulcan 2000 (sold)

Old 03-21-2017, 06:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Ya that's all OEM I did put the safety bar in which seems solid it's says it's a 1000lb lift and the bike just fits. It was missing a pile of washers (suppose to have 16 in total it came with 8 wtf?) Have a pile of nuts left over and there's no real directions just a blow up picture showing where every bolt and nut goes...black and white of course. But either than that it's going to be nice to stand and work on it rather than being on my knees.

The HF lift is rated 1000 lb, too. I thought the bar would hold up, too, but with the saddlebags and fairings on, the Sabre came in at 635 - 640 lbs and with the full weight on the safety bar, I was not confident at all that it would hold that weight for very long. The bar bent upwards in the middle and the lift edges started cutting into it. The manual stated that the weight of the cycle should be taken off the ram and put on the safety bar. No freaking way! Like I said, I used some 4x4s instead. Just sayin'.

Eventually, I will replace the OEM ram with something more reliable and make a less crude safety system.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:38 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Would 4 pieces of 2 by 4 when the lift it is the highest position make the lift safe ?

Old 03-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #12

I have the yellow one from Princess Auto. It is a great piece of kit. You will love it.

Mine has a bar that inserts into the scissor section as a safety feature.

I put a wheel chock on it which helps with stability but means I can't take the front wheel off when it is on the lift. Everything is a compromise...

Old 03-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #13

Quote:
The HF lift is rated 1000 lb, too. I thought the bar would hold up, too, but with the saddlebags and fairings on, the Sabre came in at 635 - 640 lbs and with the full weight on the safety bar, I was not confident at all that it would hold that weight for very long. The bar bent upwards in the middle and the lift edges started cutting into it. The manual stated that the weight of the cycle should be taken off the ram and put on the safety bar. No freaking way! Like I said, I used some 4x4s instead. Just sayin'.

Eventually, I will replace the OEM ram with something more reliable and make a less crude safety system.
Well when u do..send me pics or post them.

Highway pegs
Accent LED'S
Baron Air Cleaner
Sony MP3 Player
Infinity6x9

2004 Vulcan 2000 (sold)

Old 03-21-2017, 08:55 PM   #14

I have one from Harbor Freight that is just like yours. It was purchased in 09 and has had everything from my John Deere Rider, ATV and ATC to my Nomad and a 1500 Gold wing on it. Safety bar has not bent on mine I run it up slide in the bar and slowly lower it onto the bar for support. I have added a wheel chock to the table so that it holds the bike upright while I dismount. Love the air over hydraulic system and would hate to have to foot pump it to lift a 900lb machine. My nomad goes on it for everything from checking the oil to washing the bike.

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 03-22-2017, 05:59 AM   #15

Can you roll it with a bike on? I was always going to get one but put it off because of the space it takes up, but if you can move it with the bike on I might still. Now my back seems to be saying "get it".......Mike
**EDIT**
Just wondering something else, after reading the instructions that say "not to ride the bike onto the lift" How do you get it up there? No way I'd be able to push a near 1Klb bike up what looks to be a fairly steep ramp. If you drive it up, you'd need a platform for your feet to steady it would you not? Once you get off the bike, presuming you did drive it up, how do you stabilize it in order to lock the front wheel vertical? Am I reading too much into this?.................M

Last edited by MrMikey; 03-22-2017 at 06:11 AM.